BAMA limited warranty on tuning

AMChrisRose

Chris. What is your opinion on running a 91 octane tune and running 93 octane gas. Here in the midwest we have pretty decent 93. But Im thinking that running a 91 octane tune and still running the 93 will mean morepower but ultra safe over the stock tune. Would doing this be advisable, even over kill? Or is there some hidden reason why you would not recommend this? Just a though.

Overkill? Maybe. Dumb? Absolutely not.

During the winter, the fuel additives sometimes get really crappy, so if you run 93 octane fuel with a 91 octane tune during the winter months, that's a great idea if you want a security blanket. It's something you could do all year if you wanted that piece of mind.

Is it necessary? No. However, I'm all for it.

SicShelby09

Banned
Overkill? Maybe. Dumb? Absolutely not.

During the winter, the fuel additives sometimes get really crappy, so if you run 93 octane fuel with a 91 octane tune during the winter months, that's a great idea if you want a security blanket. It's something you could do all year if you wanted that piece of mind.

Is it necessary? No. However, I'm all for it.

I also believe that the first few seconds of gas you get are going to be whatever the last person before you was pumping. Odds are it was low grade. So you are immediately lowering the octane level a tad, plus bad gas or moisture in the gas so better safe than sorry. Besides what is the power difference between a 91 octane tune and a 93 octane tune? 5-10hp? If so, its not worth it. I know a custom tune is so much more than just hp. Its throttle response, cooling fans on earlier and much higher and so on. So the benefit it still there even if you dont get max HP out of your car. Would you agree Chris?

Last edited:

AMChrisRose

I also believe that the first few seconds of gas you get are going to be whatever the last person before you was pumping. Odds are it was low grade. So you are immediately lowering the octane level a tad, plus bad gas or moisture in the gas so better safe than sorry. Besides what is the power difference between a 91 octane tune and a 93 octane tune? 5-10hp? If so, its not worth it. I know a custom tune is so much more than just hp. Its throttle response, cooling fans on earlier and much higher and so on. So the benefit it still there even if you dont get max HP out of your car. Would you agree Chris?

Agreed, the difference is a minimal 5HP or so. There's alot more to a custom tune than that WOT 5hp, so you're absolutely right. A good example is here in the northeast/mid-atlantic. Sunoco is the only gas station that I trust, anymore.

AMChrisRose

Chris do you have Tunes for the auto trans guys?
Thanks

Absolutely. We've got some really good auto files. Our 2011 auto has been on the dyno probably 500 times, down the track another few hundred times (10.43 @ 130mph best stock converter), and on the street, countless hours of datalogging. Definitely hit us up, we'd be glad to show you what the autos can do!

CPRsm

We have in the warranty that the PCM must be sent back to us for examination, and as well it states that the warranty is void if you use a modified version of the Bama tune, ie. added timing, leaned out, etc.

We lock these adjustments out when we send out tunes, anyway. We make it so that they can adjust the basics, but they can call Bama at any time and we'll adjust the tune as they'd like. LOL, but yes - I see where this could become a huge issue, otherwise! :beer:
Well played sir. :beer:

cobra1718

Established Member
So if I read it clearly you must also buy the tuner as well? So if I have my own tuner and buy the tunes no warranty?

Melvo

Trying to be fast
Established Member
So is there anyway I could drive out to get a BAMA dyno tune? Since dyno tunes usually yield more power since it's to a specific vehicle.

chrisheltra

Established Member
I think this is a great deal for both AM and those interested in getting tuned. As for myself Im going to wait and see how the MT-82 issues pan out.

dro

Stock 5.0 w/ mods > *
Established Member
So if I read it clearly you must also buy the tuner as well? So if I have my own tuner and buy the tunes no warranty?

I sent him an email yesterday asking this question. If the answer is yes you still get the warranyy/guarantee i'm ordering asap...

drewzx3

Established Member
I sent him an email yesterday asking this question. If the answer is yes you still get the warranyy/guarantee i'm ordering asap...

I need to know this to. Just bought a tuner and tune from another company and haven't installed it yet. I'm pretty aggravated with them and tired of dealing with them.

dro

Stock 5.0 w/ mods > *
Established Member
If i get an email back i will copy and paste it in the thread with my question and their response.

kingnut

Established Member
so they are gonna pay for parts and labor if their tune blows your engine?

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
so they are gonna pay for parts and labor if their tune blows your engine?

Definitely read the actual warranty. They've posted the legal verbiage on their site. In a nutshell, yes.

There are of course some limitations. The amount they will pay is capped (but at a reasonable level) and any alterations to their tune, abuse, mistreatment etc voids the warranty. Just like the factory warranty.

Their coverage is also void upon the ending of your factory warranty at 3 year /36,000 miles. You do also have to send them the PCM to verify the tune wasn't altered in any way or that you didn't just upload a bama tune on top of something else that actually causes the problem.

The caveat piece is that the verbiage specifically points to the #8 cylinder. If you throw a rod, that's not doing to be covered for example.

With the limitations, this is still a hugely positive step for people that have been on the fence about tuning. I know I have been. This is making my decision a little easier. Especially because I've dealt with Chris Rose on my previous 2008 GT while he was still with Tilman. His tune for that car was WORLDS ahead of the previous tune that was on it. I will say that for sure.

32ValveSymphony

Established Member
Wow, this is great for peace of mind. I'll see if any of the other tuners step up and do this in the near future. If not, I may be switching.

SVTStampede

Established Member
Their coverage is also void upon the ending of your factory warranty at 3 year /36,000 miles.

Just to point out, because It seems a lot of people miss this, the factory powertran warranty is 5 years/60k Miles. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread