BADASS Thread

ajaf1656

Established Member
Saw a video yesterday about the final flight of a single U2, but I haven't been able to find it. Did find this video though and I cant imagine that is normal to land on a carrier?

Also, a few years back, my ex and I went to a large yearly neighborhood-wide garage sale where I grew up and we went to my old house where I ended up talking to the homeowner of the home that we rented it from, and he was telling me how his son is a U2 pilot which I'm pretty sure he said at one time he did a flyover of the house which is on Lake Tapps and it has a great view of Mt Rainier so it would have been an incredible to see or get a photo of. I've never heard whether we have U2s at Lewis-McChord or not though. I know we have B2s, or did at one point at least.

Believe it or not, they still have the fixtures in the empennage for an arresting hook. There's nothing attached, but they included them in the structure. The U2's are only based at Beale AFB (99th RS) and Osan (5th RS). I think Nasa has one or two down at Edwards or something.
Dragon Ladies are starting to get retired more rapidly, and it's not because we have newer satellites that can do their jobs. Rumor is the Air Force probably has a new toy (or two).

The C-130 landing unresisted and taking off unassisted on/off the deck of a Forrestal Class Carrier was crazy too.
I've not heard anything about any U2's being retired. Where'd you hear that?

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Everyone gets surprised about how fast those things can fly but my favorite thing about that big ass plane is that you'd be surprised at how well they can fly at stupid slow speeds
I am amazed by the razor thin margins they are operated at altitude. The difference between mach buffet and stall is like 6-7kts at is operational altitude….coffin corner. The guys flying these have to be best.

ajaf1656

Established Member
I am amazed by the razor thin margins they are operated at altitude. The difference between mach buffet and stall is like 6-7kts at is operational altitude….coffin corner. The guys flying these have to be best.
Watching them climb out on takeoff was my favorite thing. Watch how quick the wings lift to let the pogos drop out. Hand-launching and riding the wing back into the hangar was also a real fun part of pogo duty. haha

ajaf1656

Established Member
Here's the video I saw. Looks like it happened just a couple weeks ago.

Holy shit, 80-1065 was my jet! I need to try to get a hold of some people and see where it's going. I don't know why'd they retire it. There were only 5 double bubbles when I was there and they lost one (80-1068) a few years back. That would only leave 1064,1078 and 1091 unless they've converted more single seaters.
Not going to lie, that hit me like a punch to the gut. I worked swings for several years keeping that jet in the best shape of any U2 on the line while training the new crew chiefs before they went to work the single seaters.

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
Holy shit, 80-1065 was my jet! I need to try to get a hold of some people and see where it's going. I don't know why'd they retire it. There were only 5 double bubbles when I was there and they lost one (80-1068) a few years back. That would only leave 1064,1078 and 1091 unless they've converted more single seaters.
Not going to lie, that hit me like a punch to the gut. I worked swings for several years keeping that jet in the best shape of any U2 on the line while training the new crew chiefs before they went to work the single seaters.
Damn svtp, "small world"

Let us know what you find out

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
Believe it or not, they still have the fixtures in the empennage for an arresting hook. There's nothing attached, but they included them in the structure. The U2's are only based at Beale AFB (99th RS) and Osan (5th RS). I think Nasa has one or two down at Edwards or something.

I've not heard anything about any U2's being retired. Where'd you hear that?
From old brass wearing friends from when I was at Boeing IDS. We were discussing the E-3 Sentry being replaced with the E-7 Wedgetails, and the ol' Dragon lady came up since it was declassed and released to media. Most of us love aviation so to have any venerable and unique airframe retired is like hearing an old friend has cancer.

Last edited:

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member

Did you know anyone by the last name McDoogle?

Morgan

Established Member
Saw this at the grocery store.

IMG_4022.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread