Bad nock/Tick

QIKPNY

Displaced Texan
Established Member
I disagree, I don't think that overspinning that Eaton had anything to do with that knock. The Eaton overspins...so what? What's happens? The bearing and/or rotating pieces get worn at a higher rate and will definately lead to SC failure, but with an engine designed to hold 30lbs of boost, I find it hard to believe that overspinning the stock SC would cause that issue.

Roger, good find on the oil...I thought the problem may have been caused by your air intake sucking so much of my exhaust fumes:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
Originally posted by QIKPNY
but with an engine designed to hold 30lbs of boost,

bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

thank you so much for the laugh so early this morning.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

anvrsy red vert

Established Member
Running 19psi boost with a stock Eaton and stock HE has to be heating the air intake charge pretty HIGH. This creates alot of extra heat in the combustion chamber and this is extremely hard on pistons, rings etc. The KB is much more efficient than the roots style Eaton so at 19psi boost the air intake charge temp is much lower!!! I don't have specifics but if there are any experts on this feel free to chime in. AS mjchip indicated the excess heat from the compressed air intake charge caused the problem with his motor. Change the lower pulley to stock, upgrade the HE, retune the car, and hope no damage has already been done!!!!!!!!! Take it for what its worth

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
I know you running too much boost is the problem here...

But were you also still running the crappy 5W20 oil, which breaks down in racing or high heat conditions? :) just proving my point on 5W20 oil from past posts. 10W30, no less!!!

Originally posted by Metro1
Hey guyes I think In am in trouble. My 04 Cobra has a VERY BAD nock/tick in the engine upon start up and seams to get a little quiter when the car warmes up but does not go away. I am pushing 19psi of boost on a stock eaton. 8lb lower and a 2.95 upper. With a A/F of 11.6-1. Car screams but now I have this very bad tick/rattke/nock. I was planing on getting a GordFord HE exchanger with fans to try to keep some of the heat soak down but I guess it is to late. Any ideas where to start looking for the noise. HELP:burn:

1FastFord

Established Member
even though the noise is gone, the damage may have already been done. Good luck thought but I would switch out that lower ASAP or get a different blower.

QIKPNY

Displaced Texan
Established Member
Originally posted by quadcammer
bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

thank you so much for the laugh so early this morning.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So, are you saying that no one can run 30lbs from a KB without blowing up the engine? Just wondering since I've seen an '03 that has been doing it successfully with many passes at the track.

MJ, I agree with the heating of the air, but think that the thin oil was more likely the cause.

Mine has been running with 18.5 lbs on the Eaton for a LONG time with no problems;-)

Davesnake

you wanna go!
Established Member
Might sound crazy but...check your plugs to see if one backed out. happened to me and it made a knocking rattling ticking sound.

Dave

BLUBYU2

Established Member
Ok boyz I think the problem is fixed. It was my oil I know it sound like BS but I had used the new Mobil1 0-20 for fords 5-20 replacement and when I ran the car hard and it got hot the oil was getting to thin and not providing the protection need for this high output motor. I was told by a friend to get that shit out of my car so I did today and wham NO NOISE at all. I went to a 5-30 Mobil1. The real test will be tommrrow morning when I start the car up cold But for those of you who help me out thank you for all the great inputs.

Sorry but I dont think this is going to be the solution to your problem. I would be very concerned if I had to add a heavier oil to my car to make it shut up. If the car was ticking when it was at opperating temp and wasn't "hot" then you are just masking a future problem. Get that lower off or get the KB. My .02:beer:

Metro1

Established Member
ok boyz here is the scoop. So what is this (the KNOCK) and what do I fix or is it just plan old piston slap that we ALL seam to get sooner or later if we boost our cars past 8psi KB or not

Last edited:

Metro1

Established Member
Qikpny, great point on the boost. And yes at times I do smell your fumes only when you FINALLY come flying by after I have been their for awhile enjoying my coffee waiting on you to catch up.

Last edited:

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
quikpony, the pistons are not up to the task.

30 psi from a kb is probably at least 700rwhp on a totally stock motor. the 4618 pistons just don't handle such high boost well. it may not go immediately but eventually its will blow.

the rods at 700rwhp are getting shakey. sure they might be able to handle it, but you are getting close to the limit there.

i would not think to run 30 psi on a stock 03 cobra motor.

Metro1

Established Member
why diden't you go to Hooters tonight with us? Family night with the girles? Thats cool. Have your ass ready for this weekend so we can chew up some ricers at the beach.

Last edited:

Silver 03 Cobra

Originally posted by anvrsy red vert
Running 19psi boost with a stock Eaton and stock HE has to be heating the air intake charge pretty HIGH. This creates alot of extra heat in the combustion chamber and this is extremely hard on pistons, rings etc. The KB is much more efficient than the roots style Eaton so at 19psi boost the air intake charge temp is much lower!!! I don't have specifics but if there are any experts on this feel free to chime in. AS mjchip indicated the excess heat from the compressed air intake charge caused the problem with his motor. Change the lower pulley to stock, upgrade the HE, retune the car, and hope no damage has already been done!!!!!!!!! Take it for what its worth

An aftermarket HE isn't going to remove enough heat to save an engine versus the stock unit. A bigger HE helps when you are pulling boost for extended periods of time because it is more efficient at removing heat but it isn't going to save an engine. I'm running 18 psi and I'm about to roll over 39k miles and the engine is as strong as ever. 18 psi or whatever with a KB and a bad tune is going to pop an engine just as quickly as an Eaton. I run mine in moderation and I have one hell of a fat tune. I was just at a shop that had two blown with KB's.

redsvtcobra

Established Member
What a peice of shit this car. I should have gotten a BMW M3 to bad they are to slow. If I new these Cobra had this many problems I would have saved my money and bought a quilty built car that could handle real HP.

:lol: :lol: :lol: I think that if you run a car with an ignorant setup like above that you will turn ANY car into a piece of crap. Excuse me, but you are the reason why the car has a lot of problems. You can't run 19psi through a heaton and not expect any problems. :kaboom: There are some people with KB's that don't even run that high of boost! Get that lower off :rolleyes:

Metro1

Established Member
I take the blame for the Wheel hop but not the tick and ALL the shit. Look at this site and READ.

Last edited:

Metro1

Established Member
People don't run a KB that high in San Dago because you guys have shit gas 91.

Last edited:

2003snake

Established Member
Originally posted by QIKPNY

Roger, good find on the oil...I thought the problem may have been caused by your air intake sucking so much of my exhaust fumes:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

You must know all to well what that's like huh? Slowpoke

Users who are viewing this thread