Bad nock/Tick

Metro1

Established Member
Hey guyes I think In am in trouble. My 04 Cobra Vert has a VERY BAD nock/tick in the engine upon start up and seams to get a little quiter when the car warmes up but does not go away.

Last edited:

Tat03Cobra

Established Member
Could be 'the tick'
Id be putting it back to stock, and trying the warranty approach...

peace

trey193

Established Member
Sounds to me like the dreaded piston knock that occurs when the teflon is worn off these pistons and inturn starts knocking and damaging the cyl. wall. It happened to a friends car and it needed to be torn down and rebuilt with different pistons, rings, bored etc!! Yeah its bad news!!

Metro1

Established Member
It sound like I am F****** The car only has about 4855 miles on it. It still screams but dame it is getting worse.

Last edited:

ModsAway

Established Member
I cannot imagine the heat you are producing from the HEATon with that setup... no offense but what were you thinking, you should have spent for time on this site, DOH!!

The 2.95 upper alone is arguably spinning the Eaton damn close or slightly beyond its limit of efficiency and you have an EIGHT pound lower as well, yikes.

Hope it all works out for you, HEAT + Cobra engine = trip to pharmacy for some astroglide.

Metro1

Established Member
I don't know what it is going to cost me.

Last edited:

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Originally posted by Metro1
It sound like I am F****** The car only has about 4855 miles on it. It still screams but dame it is getting worse. Man it would take all weeked to pull all the mods off the car but if i can get warrenty work then it is worth it

First, I'm sorry to hear about your problems. I went through the same thing myself.

Second, you should be careful about publicly disclosing your intent to defraud Ford Motor Company (taking mods off of car to make it appear stock and trying to get it fixed under warranty). A friendly warning......

MJ

Ryan.K.

VOLENS ET POTENS
Established Member
It's the Tick bro......ford has revised heads coming out in october so be patient and us Tick people will soon be ride of it.

Ryan.K.

VOLENS ET POTENS
Established Member
actually now that i am thinking about it more you could have possibly over spun the blower, I think that is what i did to mine, so I took it down to ford and we will see what they say. I will let you all know what the deal is when i find out.

Metro1

Established Member
MJ what was the problem you hade? Was it rod nock, heads ? PLease a litle insite please

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Originally posted by Metro1
MJ what was the problem you hade? Was it rod nock, heads ? PLease a litle insite please

It was a knock. There was damage to the teflon coating on the piston skirts and heat damage to the pistons which caused a ring to stick....hence the knock.

mj

No Hero

Custom User Title
Established Member
Originally posted by ModsAway
I cannot imagine the heat you are producing from the HEATon with that setup... no offense but what were you thinking, you should have spent for time on this site, DOH!!

The 2.95 upper alone is arguably spinning the Eaton damn close or slightly beyond its limit of efficiency and you have an EIGHT pound lower as well, yikes.

Hope it all works out for you, HEAT + Cobra engine = trip to pharmacy for some astroglide.

If a 2.95 is beyond efficiency what is a better pulley to get? 3.0? 2.8?

combatstang

BoOsTaHoLiC
Established Member
U probably blew ur motor!! thats what happend to my cobra.. rod knock!!! drives fine just loud ass knock right... time to take back to stock!

Warrenty = 14000 engine

Marc

CobraKindaGuy

Established Member
Originally posted by steeda1982
It's the Tick bro......ford has revised heads coming out in october so be patient and us Tick people will soon be ride of it.

My tick didn't occur until after my warranty expired. Has anyone heard if you have to still be in warranty to get the new heads coimng in October?

Metro1

Established Member
Ok boyz I think the problem is fixed. I went to a 5-30 Mobil1. The real test will be tommrrow morning when I start the car up cold But for those of you who help me out thank you for all the great inputs.

Last edited:

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
I get some knock/piston slap when my car is cold, but it goes completely away as soon as it moves off cold.

I8URVETT

Established Member
That is why I just let ford change the oil, I have let them change it (every 3k) and trust me I drive it hard, mind you I don't have your mods but I have never had a problem with the motor--not to mention I want to give props to freedom ford in hampton VA best servoice department I have had:burnout:

anvrsy red vert

Established Member
Hey Metro1: Here's my 2cnts. I doubt that a slightly thicker oil is going to make a knock go away! First off, those mods with the stock Eaton let alone the stock HE were only asking for BIG TIME EVENTUAL TROUBLE!!! Your spinning the shit out of the blower and creating all kinds of heat------WTF do you expect! You want to go fast somewhat safely put a KB on with all the necessary hardware and tune; if not continue with the current combo and take out a $15,000 Christmas Club so you'll have the money for a new motor! LOL

Users who are viewing this thread