Bad 4.10's

stang99

My mechanic would not give me back my car because it was vibrating so bad that it was shaking the entire car. He was amazed that the 4.10's did this and he is convinced that it is the gears. My carrier bearings were shot when he opened up the diff. All pitted and worn out but the 3.55's were in perfect shape. Now, he is getting another set of new 4.10's and trying to install them since he thinks that the first set were no bueno. I am doubtful about all of this and I wish that we had just left the 3.55's alone, although those bearings did not look too good. So, I do not feel up to posting since I am depressed.
I am going to get some rest since I have to ride the MotoGuzzi again tomorrow and it seems that every dick on the freeway wants to kill me. If I'd been packing, the freeway would have been littered with SUV's that had their blocks shot out.
The mechanic then told me that my car turned into an animal with the 4.10's. He could not believe the way it ran prior to turning into a paint shaker. I have been waiting since before C-Bad to get some stuff done and now, once again, it is a mess.
That's it. I am putting it all back to stock and trading it in on a pick up truck. Then, I can unexpectedly change lanes while talking on my cell phone and lighting a cigarette without any warning and try to kill the poor guy commuting on the MotoGuzzi.

SonicVenum

11 sec. Member
Established Member
Damn P, I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sure your mechanic will fix you up right. You can look at the silver lining can't you? He said it pulled like an animal. That means, now you still have a chance against me, maybe.

stang99

Maoun:
I really don't know how much this experiment will end up costing. The carrier bearings were $30 ea and the gears around $170. But if the vibe can't be worked out, I have no idea what the shop will want foro their troubles. If they put the 3.55's back in and they are vibration free then I will still expect to pay them for the bearings and their labor. I work on a handshake at the shop since I trust the owner and it is so crass to talk about money when you are modding. :beer:

SonicV: I always have a chance against you. I wish we'd got a good run after that C-Bad burnout. I went 106.6 with only 3rd and 4th making boost.

stang99

I downloaded and printed two big articles on the vibration issue. The mechanic thinks that it is the gears and is getting more gears. But, I agree, they did not set the 4.10's up right. The ball is now in his court. I need the car to go to Swanson's Friday.

TwoToneFreak

MMMM, Spintechs!!
Established Member
I would bet that also, I have see many sets of bad gears, not just Ford Motorsports though. If they noticed the bearings were bad when removing the 3.55s they should have called and said what they found and I just thought of something, they may have not installed one of the half shafts correctly if the vibe wasn't noticeable as soon as they pulled it out of the shop and took it on the test drive.

stang99

They hit the vibe immediately. Also, they just did another local 03 and he is happy with their work. They have done lots of other cars that I know of. It is either a bad set of 4.10's or an indexing problem. Now we will see how good my mechanic is.

Not to be a dick, but, I am paying him as an expert to do this work. We discussed possible vibe problems before he started and he was positive that he could handle an expert install. I do not wish to be presumptious and attempt to substitute my mechanical/technical knowledge for his so I am letting him do his thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Road Racin'

Termanata' Killa'
Established Member
usually when gears are installed incorrectly there is a bit of whine and maybe a touch of vibration, it's never supposed to be like sitting in the paint shaker at home depot, although it will make you popular with the ladies :)

TwoToneFreak

MMMM, Spintechs!!
Established Member
You have every right to be a dick when you pay good money to get what you assume is a professionally done job, but I am glad that you are not telling him what he did wrong. When I was turning wrenches, that was the quickest way to piss me off. Good luck man, I am sure they will make it right.

stang99

I am not totally innocent because I called the shop today and told them that I downloaded a lot of info about feel balancing and indexing on the IRS cars and I offered to bring the printed stuff to them if they needed it. They have my number if they want to call for the proceedures. I read Lynch's stuff and it really is not too difficult. My mechanic did mark everything carefully when he too the 3.55's out, so, in the worst case he chould be able to put the 3.55's back in with no vibration problems. We shall see later today. But, since I am a tech of sorts, I understand how it feels when someone trys to tell you how to do the job that you are the supposed expert at. If the client has to tell the tech how to properly do a task, what's the point?

Originally posted by TwoToneFreak
You have every right to be a dick when you pay good money to get what you assume is a professionally done job, but I am glad that you are not telling him what he did wrong. When I was turning wrenches, that was the quickest way to piss me off. Good luck man, I am sure they will make it right.

Road Racin'

Termanata' Killa'
Established Member
Originally posted by Andorion
Road Racin', your avatar is grood. I mean good... and great. Great and good.

Cerebellum'd!!!

~Berj

Ohhh, Checkin' my emails. doo waaa yeahhh!

sloopjonb

Established Member
I was told by a couple of Ford engineers that the problem with changing gears is that it usually ends up totally negating the balance that might have existed before. Also, the lower the gears, the more noticeable any vibration will be, and the lower the speed the vibration will occur. It al seemed so iffy that I have steered away from the mod. Anyway, I'm sure they can work it out, so good luck to you, and let us all know how you make out.

98cobrancali

the mustang man
Established Member
does it have an aluminum driveshaft in it, I dont know about the 03's, but when I had my 4:10's put in my car vibrated real bad and I put in the aluminum driveshaft and that fixed it, just another suggestion, but if it is the gears, the shop should gauratee their work, maybe your out another set of gears but they should fix it since the problem occured after their work

CobraRLC

Established Member
The 03 Cobra has a aluminum driveshaft. His problem lies within alignments in the rearend. Tetge, get it fix fast so you can school us all on the results......

Users who are viewing this thread