Backup Camera

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Ok, so this has been discussed on a few of the dedicated focus forums ad-nausium, but nobody has done what I"m about to ask to my knowledge.

As you are no doubt aware, for some in explainable reason, Ford left the backup camera option off of the ST. I've grown quite accustomed to having it there on my 2011 GT and Explorer, so much so, that it really pisses me off that this car doesn't have one.

So, I'm going to add one, either through the Mirror (last resort) or the factory system (preferred).

Right after buying the car I hiked my butt over to Parts and got a list of the pieces required for the backup camera. It's a module, the camera itself, a bracket for the camera and some cabling. The question is;

Has anyone pulled the trunk panel off of the passenger side? (from the looks of it, under the tail light). That's where the backup camera module mounts, and I'm hoping there is an un-used wiring harness there. If there is, that means this car has the proper harness installed in it to use a backup camera. From there, all we should need to do is install the module, wire and camera, and re-flash MFT to recognize the new module. A flash from a titanium with a camera should do it, or some kind of boot that has the system searching for installed modules.

Anyone tried this yet? Or do I need to pull mine apart over the weekend?

Also, WTF is up with no oil life monitor? Ford left the strangest things out when they built this car...

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Lots of info in this thread: Rear Camera?

Your idea seems like the simplest as far as wiring goes. Interested in seeing how it goes.

I've seen that thread before, but I missed one of the posts in the middle. One of the guys in that thread works on the line and was following his car with the intention of adding the camera...the harness is different. He said the same thing I was told at the parts counter, there are 3 focus hatchback harnesses, two of them will work, one won't. The one in the ST is apparently the one that won't work. Why the hell they did it that way is anyone's guess, but they did.

Crap. I'll pull my panel off anyway to make sure there wasn't a change (mine was built last month) but I'm thinking this plan is DOA.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I've seen that thread before, but I missed one of the posts in the middle. One of the guys in that thread works on the line and was following his car with the intention of adding the camera...the harness is different. He said the same thing I was told at the parts counter, there are 3 focus hatchback harnesses, two of them will work, one won't. The one in the ST is apparently the one that won't work. Why the hell they did it that way is anyone's guess, but they did.

Crap. I'll pull my panel off anyway to make sure there wasn't a change (mine was built last month) but I'm thinking this plan is DOA.

I bet the 2014 will get all the good options and the 2013s are SOL without some custom work. :lol:

sleepin 4.6

Established Member
This is a system that allows you to do a lot with the my touch including a backup camera. Also allows movies to play while driving. The camera could even be turned on while not in reverse. Its expensive but seems to be the best way to go and get the most out of the my touch system.

MYFORD TOUCH

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
This is a system that allows you to do a lot with the my touch including a backup camera. Also allows movies to play while driving. The camera could even be turned on while not in reverse. Its expensive but seems to be the best way to go and get the most out of the my touch system.

MYFORD TOUCH

Price isn't too bad actually. Looks like an easy solution.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member

MYFORD TOUCH

Lockpick is cool, but it doesn't work. They even call out on that site that it will not enable backup camera capability in a system that wasn't already factory equipped with one.

sleepin 4.6

Established Member
I take lots of road trips so I would. Lol My 13 explorer has the reverse camera, can't really see the need for it on my ST since its the size of a golf cart. Lol

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Yeah our 11 Explorer has one, and so did my 2011 GT. I have a 3 year old though, and he LOVES to throw crap right behind the car. Plus, you can't see crap out of the back of the focus when you have a kid back there waving his arms..and even when he isn't, I can barely see the end of my driveway out the window, so there is probably a good 30-40' blind spot below that glass line behind the car. Hence, why I'd like the camera. I'd hate to back over my dog or some toy because they were where I couldn't see them.

But even on road trips I still wouldn't want a movie playing, it would be a massive distraction...I'd want to watch that instead of the road and I'd end up in an accident.

sleepin 4.6

Established Member
I guess it all depends on where and how you sit. My newborns car seat is in the middle and I got 5% tint on all windows. I reverse in to my garage at all times even at night with no garage light, just the reverse lights. But driver is the biggest thing.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Yeah, my kid is 3, so he takes up a good bit more room. The bigger thing though is that blind spot...if my dog was behind the car, he'd have to be back a good 15-20 feet before I could see him I bet. There just isn't any visibility there.

It's nothing like my Fox, which obviously doesn't have a backup camera, but I can see out of the back of that car no problem. The blind spot behind it is probably only 5' or so at most.

It's really not an issue when it comes to other cars, or people walking...it's little kids, toys and dogs. Anything short.

VADEi2

DAl2K FOl2CE
Established Member
Yeah I'm aware of that system, but it's expensive. I was hoping to be able to use factory components, but it seems that's not possible. I may eventually spring for that setup, but for now I'll just live with it and gripe about it occasionally.

Lol i'm in the same boat. I don't want to drop the $$$ just yet. It's not a necessity for now.

TRBO VNM

My only option will be in the mirror. Mike, did you look into that anymore? I really would like one as well, but didn't spring for MFT or NAV

Users who are viewing this thread