Baby got towed

CobraTone

Established Member
Well I was at a friends apartment for a party the other night, and of course when I got there she was already drunk, therebye neglecting to tell me that there was designated visitor parking. :rollseyes Needless to say with my luck, some drunk idiot came in and said there was a black mustang getting towed, it was too late to go out and pay off the driver as he was already gone. :bash: I went straight to the place and paid the crooks my 73 bucks so my car didn't have to sit in their lot.

I guess the point of this thread other than to vent was to ask if there was any places I should check for damage, because i know the manual says flat bed towing only and it was definitely not a flatbed. Driving it around felt fine, but I just want to be sure they didn't f**k anything up, not like I could do anything about it if they did. Any help would be appreciated. thanks guys.

RedfireVenom

11 Second Vert Club
Established Member
AAHHHHH....that's my worst nightmare. That's why I got a beater, if you can call a 2001 Jetta 1.8t a beater :) Sorry, I don't know why the car needs to be flatbedded.

Killer Cobra

Established Member
The thought of some monkey towing my baby just gives me the creeps! That happened to my 300ZXTT and they cracked the front spolier is 2 places. Oh course they lied and said that was there before they towed it. Knowing me I probably would have just went home if I couldn't find a good parking spot. LOL

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
Check the intercooler heat exchanger. A dumbass tow truck driver F'd up mine with the wire while pulling it on the truck. Elso check the exhaust for scrapes and under the front bumper for damage. you can not tow these things without doing damage.

AAHHHHH....that's my worst nightmare.
mine too!

CobraTone

Established Member
Thanks for the advice, I'll be sure to check all those areas asap. Although if there is damage, does anyone know if you can do something about it? Or would I just be screwed? I swear those guys are f**king criminals.

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
Thats why towing companies have liability insurance. If something is damaged I would call the tow truck company and your insurance company.

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
I doubt they flatbedded it. I *hate* those guys. If you find any damage, please sue the living sh!t out of them. Crooks.

Juiced-03

Established Member
what about if your car was in gear and they towed it from the front? Well I guess this would only happen if you backed into your spot. Just a thought.

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by NyteByte
I doubt they flatbedded it. I *hate* those guys. If you find any damage, please sue the living sh!t out of them. Crooks.

The real stink of it is that the towing service cant be held liable in those situations...

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
Originally posted by 03CobraBro
The real stink of it is that the towing service cant be held liable in those situations...

Why is that? In my eyes, you damage it, you own it.

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
73bucks only? In Los Angeles i remember dishing out 175.00 & they only had it for 1 hour :bash:

At least some one told u its getting towed. I came out of the apt & i was oh shit were the car? :eek: That was scary.

But either way getting towed sucks bad. :nonono:

Sorry bro.

Phantom_LS2

bringing the pain!!!
Established Member
you got off lucky....at my apt complex, my car got towed and i had to pay $150. don't ask why, it's too long of a story, and it gets me too pissed off explaining it.

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by bassin247
Why is that? In my eyes, you damage it, you own it.

Well, the Police call the towing company... The towing company has to tow what the police tell em too, thus in return the towing company is protected by law.

Now if he had broken down by the side of the road, and called a tow truck and the car was damaged as it was being towed to where ever then they could deffinatly be held liable.

I agree though, I think the towing company should have to pay up for damages in any situation, unfortunatly we live in the united states and things dont work that way :nonono:

Last edited:

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
You guys need to get to know more people. I have a close friend who runs a roll back everyday. I know exactly who's towing mine if it ever needs it. It's nice to know people with useful things.

They'll pay for damage. Believe me, they've paid for plenty of damage. Just keep making a stink about it.

Call from different phones too. They'll get your number in the caller ID and ignore your calls. If it's a number they don't know, they always answer as it's a potential customer.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
This doesn't sound like a police tow. It sounds like the apartment complex has a contract with a towing company to remove cars from the parking lot that are not authorized to be there or don't have a sticker for the lot or something like that.

I would think they would be liable for any damages they caused. Collecting may be another story though. Just because you are illegally parked does not give them the right to damage your car.

If they don't want to reimburse you for any damages, if there are any, file a police report and contact your insurance company and let them go after the towing company if they still refuse to compensate you.
Or drag them into small claims court, if you have that recourse available to you.
Take photos to substantiate your claims of damage.

Dana

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by Poisonous Mods
73bucks only? In Los Angeles i remember dishing out 175.00 & they only had it for 1 hour :bash:
Anyone know what the tow cost is in NYC? I'm curious to know if it is higher that LA's.

Sorry to hear your baby got towed by the way. At least you got it back relatively pain free. Then again, losing $73. isn't exactly "pain free".
:rollseyes

CobraTone

Established Member
Yea, the apartment complex had a tiny sign (I saw if afterwards of course) at the front that said "Roam Towing" which means the tow guy can come in and take whatever the hell he wants if it doesn't have a decal.

I have visually inspected everything and there doesn't seem to be any damage. I am going to go back over it with my buddy for a closer inspection.

I had my car in neutral with the parking brake up and it got towed from the back if that means anything. Thanks for everyone's input, I'll let you know if I find any damage.

KOTH

Hang loose - travel light
Established Member
Originally posted by Killer Cobra
... Knowing me I probably would have just went home if I couldn't find a good parking spot. LOL

I hear ya.

:coolman:

CobraTone

Established Member
Originally posted by Killer Cobra
Knowing me I probably would have just went home if I couldn't find a good parking spot. LOL

Well, thats the problem, I wasn't aware that I was parked illegally otherwise i might have done just that. Unfortunately ignorance is not an excuse. :nonono:

FLBuckeye

Established Member
Live & Learn........Just don't repeat your mistakes !!
Be happy there was no gross damage........
......and better protect that Cobra.......FoooooosssssBall season is startin' soon !!
Keep the drunks away from your ride !
GO Bucks !
BEat Wash !

Users who are viewing this thread