axle wont stay in

71catruck

Established Member
ok guys i need some help here. i had a shop install an eaton detroit truetrac in my 99. they set it up but i installed it myself. i had a problem with the drivers axle walking out of the diff about an inch and a half. they told me to try new circlips and the ones i ordered off the part number they gave me were the wrong ones. they said they cant get them but i took my car in and they expanded my old clip and said its fine. well the axle walked out again and they are saying its because the car is lowered. eaton wants then to put the small axle block that came with the diff in but the shop says it wont fit that the axles wont clip in at all. any ideas.

71catruck

Established Member
I know I would love to but the shop threw it away and said they tried one that looks exacly the same. No way you can eyeball the length of that especially when you dont have the one from eaton to compare it to.

99cobra09

"Stock Car"
Established Member
I think your problem is that your truetrak does not have the groove inside for the clip to lock up. Your going to have to have the diff machined with a groove. I had to do that for another cobra I had to do gears on.

Last edited:

71catruck

Established Member
ok guys so i had another detroit truetrac installed and once again the drivers axle is coming out. the passenger stays in just fine so i know the spider gears have the groves for the circlip. any ideas. could the axle be bent.

71catruck

Established Member
I'll have to ask the shop if the did or not. Though I did ask them to. Could my vent on the top be plugged and the fluid and gasses expanding inside be over pressureizing it and popping it out.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
The block has to be installed and there is no way in hell that the axle walked out due to the car being lowered.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Is there excessive play or movement possible from axle in the knuckle or axle bearing on that side?

For that axle to keep walking out it first needs someplace to go.

The knuckle(or spindle) in combination with the axle bearing(or wheel bearing) should prevent an axle from just walking out of the differential.

Make sure the outer axle nut at the hub is fully torqued, and that no movement or play is apparent in that axle bearing.

Rear axle nuts getting loose is a known issue on these cars, whether it has been heavily tracked or autocrossed or if it is just miled out.

Users who are viewing this thread