Avon Tech R $139 at Tire Rack

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
I've spent the last month looking into tire trailers, dollys to pull the car with, and it just isn't in the cards right now.

And I thought about selling them at the track, but if I could get 'em there, I'd use 'em! :bash:

VENM

One of the Fab 5 Fords
Established Member
You may just want to hang onto them, R compounds rock! You need to recruit a friend with a trailer that can haul your tires, tools... :burnout:

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
If you can get them to Summit Point in May, I'd be interested in taking them off of your hands then. :)

hanger17

Established Member
OT ? for ac427cobra (front wheels)

ac427cobra said:
I run 18"x10.5" all the way around on the car.

My questions too you is what offset are you running up front?
Do you know if the normal 18X10 w/ 22mm (normaly for rear) offset works?
What is the strut/coilover clearance like on your car?

Thanks in advance.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Had a friend come through with a ride for my wheels to the track, so I mounted the Avons. Thanks for the advice (sorry Troy, but thanks for the offer). Now I just have to keep my friend coming to the track till I get a trailer worked out. :thumbsup:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
hanger17 said:
My questions too you is what offset are you running up front?
Do you know if the normal 18X10 w/ 22mm (normaly for rear) offset works?
What is the strut/coilover clearance like on your car?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry I can't tell you what the offset is on the 18x10.5" CCW wheels I have? I DO have to run a 3/16" spacer though.

The 18x10.5" AFS wheels I have do NOT fit on the front whatsoever!

Hope that helps!?

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Well I was on the Avon Tech R's for the first time this past weekend. I only heat cycled them once each day and I was not overly impressed with them. They don't grip as well as the V-710 and they squeel a little bit. But for $139.00 I'm not complaining.

Hope to get a little more time on them at the end of the month!

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

TTA89

Established Member
I ran the Tech Rs at an Auto X this weekend and pretty experienced the same thing. Not as much grip as 710s and they squeal like street tires. The initial turn in felt better than 710s but I don't think the grip is as good.

I read a few people that were saying the same thing so I wasn't expecting much, they work well as an R tire but don't expect to go out and win timed events on them. I think for the price they will work great for playing around doing Lapping days which is what I'll use them for.

They seem to wear very well, my car was dual driven and beaten on all day and they still look excellent. Overall they work better than expected but not a top tier race tire.

Will be running them at the SVTOA Summit Point event in a few weeks for those that are going and want to check them out.

Last edited:

VENM

One of the Fab 5 Fords
Established Member
Hi guys-
I ran my Avon's at RA for a weekend and had really great times. They do howl a bit, but not once did the car get loose on me. I thought for $130 they were a steal!

I did however just order a set of Comp. SSR's and Hoosier R6's to try.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
TTA89 said:
Will be running them at the SVTOA Summit Point event in a few weeks for those that are going and want to check them out.
I think we'll have quite a few sets there. I'll be using mine for the first time there. I'm Auto Xing on Proxies 'cause I have no way to get the Avons to the AX!

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
As said above....TTA89 and I ran the Avons last weekend at our first autox of the season. I think they are pretty good tires, but agree they are not quite to the level of V710's. They did howl, and once they finally got some heat into them, would haul ass for the most part. It did take a bit more time to get them heated though.

Summary: It'll be interesting to see what these tires are like in July and August when the v710's are over heating out there.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread