Avon Tech R $139 at Tire Rack

VENM

One of the Fab 5 Fords
Established Member
Bruce:
Where does one buy these English go fast tires :uh oh:

Also, I want to make the trek to either Mid-Ohio or MAM this year, both NASA events. Which would you recommend?

Is it April yet!!!

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
VENM said:
Bruce:
Where does one buy these English go fast tires :uh oh:

Also, I want to make the trek to either Mid-Ohio or MAM this year, both NASA events. Which would you recommend?

Is it April yet!!!

Clay:

You can get Dunlop race slicks as Sasco Motorsports: http://www.sascosports.com/products/specs.php?type_id=36

I don't recommend driving on racing slicks until you have extensive track experience with street tires and then "R" compounds.

IMHO Mid-Ohio is a no brainer chioce hands down over MAM. MO is a VERY exciting track. Has a horsepower section and a handling section. It's one of my favorite tracks right behind VIR and WG.

MAM is very flat and b-o-r-i-n-g and it takes 10 hours to get there from Milwaukee!!! It's a yawner. :bored: It would take a REAL special event to get me back there! Give me Road America Baby!!!! :pepper: :rockon:

My .02 cents worth of contribution for the day!!

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
hmmm, leave it to bruce to get off-topic :lol: :lol:

I ran a set of avon tech r tires for 2 and a half OT events, last one being gingerman, the tire-grater of all tracks! :fart:

I felt they had more grip and longer lasting grip than the hoosiers....did not get greasy like hoosiers when ya cook 'em....

I personally did not like the grip / performance of the kumho 710's but I gotta admit, they didnt wear out too quick! won't buy them again, I'd choose the avon's or hoosier grand am cup tires that I got last year at clearance....

I am anxious to try the new avon tech ra's! :rockon:

VENM

One of the Fab 5 Fords
Established Member
Is it April yet!

I've had good luck with the Avons also. At the price on those Dunlop "Go Fast" tires I'd have to take out a Cobra Improvement loan.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
NJ2000R said:
hmmm, leave it to bruce to get off-topic :lol: :lol:

What? Who? ME?!?!?!? :beer:

VENM said:
Is it April yet!

I've had good luck with the Avons also. At the price on those Dunlop "Go Fast" tires I'd have to take out a Cobra Improvement loan.

It aint cheap to go fast Clay?!?! ;-) :lol: :p

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
My feeling is that after extensive reading of the available info, for my purpose, the Avon is the proper choice for me. I firmly believe it is the "tweener" I've been looking for. A little bit harder than the 710 for more temp resistance, a little bit softer than an RA-1/555RII/NT-01 for more cold bite.

Though I really like the over all grip of 710's, the turn in was always really mushy to me compared to say....Victoracers. After reading all the reviews, I gather that the Avon has sharper turn in as it has a stiffer wall....not too unlike the victo, but is more like the 710 in the over all grip department.

I suppose I'm going to find out come spring.. :)

VENM

One of the Fab 5 Fords
Established Member
I need a "Cobra Sugar Mama" so I can get those "go fast" tires like Bruce :banana:

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
TroyV said:
My feeling is that after extensive reading of the available info, for my purpose, the Avon is the proper choice for me. I firmly believe it is the "tweener" I've been looking for. A little bit harder than the 710 for more temp resistance, a little bit softer than an RA-1/555RII/NT-01 for more cold bite.

Though I really like the over all grip of 710's, the turn in was always really mushy to me compared to say....Victoracers. After reading all the reviews, I gather that the Avon has sharper turn in as it has a stiffer wall....not too unlike the victo, but is more like the 710 in the over all grip department.

I suppose I'm going to find out come spring.. :)

The avon is not harder than the 710, its softer....or stickier would be a better term....I agree with you that the turn in feeling with the 710s was mushy....I felt it going thru the bus stop at the glen :eek: and it wasnt a good feeling.....yet, it did have the grip....I think a better comparison would be that the avon is like a hoosier that grips well, yet doesnt get greasy like the hoosier does once heated....and life was better than the hoosier, yet not as long as a 710....

TroyV

Established Member
Tirerack shows the treadware rating of the 710 at 30 and the Avon at 40. Is that not an indication of the stickiness?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
TroyV said:
Tirerack shows the treadware rating of the 710 at 30 and the Avon at 40. Is that not an indication of the stickiness?

Lower the number, softer the durometer, hence greater the wear.

Street tires are typically 300 - 400 (or something like that?) to give you an idea.

TroyV

Established Member
Yes, I fully understand. So those numbers above specify that the Avon is harder....correct?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
TroyV said:
Yes, I fully understand. So those numbers above specify that the Avon is harder....correct?

Correctomundo. But Ken gave me the impression the Avon didn't last as long? Yo, Ken!?!

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
the avon tires didnt last as long as the 710's but did last longer than the hoosiers....plus, they never got greasy like hoosiers....I never liked the 710's from "feel" but they did last a long time....moral to the story: I dont think those wear #s are very accurate....that, or the construction of the tire makes for better wear as well as grip....the avon's are a pretty hefty tire, whereas the 710's sidewall felt flimsy to me....I guess that is about it on my unprofessional / untechnical observation :shrug: but hey, I sure can wear those suckers out quick! :rollseyes

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
This is a very good discussion because it shows what one guys likes, another guy doesn't like. Ken and I have identical cars. With the exception my car has coil-overs. Ken doesn't like the V-710's and the same tire is my favorite tire. (of course next to the Dunlop racing slicks!) :poke:

Just like the old "What's your favorite beer" question!! There IS no right or wrong answer!!! :thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
identical cars, but mine is still 100% stock suspended....maybe the avons and hoosiers with more adhesion than the 710 work better with the stock suspension and make up for its shortcomings....or perhaps better said, its non-adjustability.... :shrug:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
NJ2000R said:
identical cars, but mine is still 100% stock suspended....maybe the avons and hoosiers with more adhesion than the 710 work better with the stock suspension and make up for its shortcomings....or perhaps better said, its non-adjustability.... :shrug:

Ken:

Last year, December 2004 (ok, if you want to get technical it was two years ago! ) when my car still had the stock suspension other than CC plates on the front and the most awesome complete Delrin, Aluminum and UHMW package that we're now selling for the IRS, I ran the V-710's for the first time at VIR. I was extremely impressed with them. Granted VIR is nothing like any other track you've ever been to with the exceptin of maybe The Glen? It's pretty easy on tires and you're not really struggling through turns. (like you are at Gingerman!!) :fart:

It will be interesting trying out the Avons this year. I'm really torn whether or not I should buy another set!?? :shrug: I probably should just do it? For the price, I'll be kicking myself if I don't! :read:

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
This was very timely, as I was just shopping comp tires at Tire Rack a couple days ago. Somehow I missed the closeout, and was leaning towards the Khumo V710 based on the comparison. But I need to save every dollar I can, so I just ordered a set, and will use the $280 in savings towards getting some KDW2's for in the rain. Thanks. :bowdown:

Am I right that I should keep these out of the garage if it's expected to freeze?

Last edited:

VENM

One of the Fab 5 Fords
Established Member
Keep em dry, warm and out of the sun. Wrapping in a plastic bag also helps! :banana:

Users who are viewing this thread