Avon Tech R $139 at Tire Rack

VENM

One of the Fab 5 Fords
Established Member
Hey just wanted to pass along a close out price on 275/40/17 Avon Tech R Compounds at the Tire Rack. I used them the last 2 years and was very satisfied.

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
I saw that... and picked up a set...along with half the guys running R compounds in my SVTOA chapter! :)

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
VENM said:
Hey just wanted to pass along a close out price on 275/40/17 Avon Tech R Compounds at the Tire Rack. I used them the last 2 years and was very satisfied.

Clay:

Have you ever been on the Kumho V710's? If you have, how do they compare to the Avon's?

Thanks,

Last edited:

TroyV

Established Member
I ran on V710's last season, so I'm very curious as to how these Avons will perform.

I just wanted to note that the Avons showed up very quickly. The sort of meza~meza news is that the Date codes on them are from the 21st week of 04......and hence, why they were on closeout I would assume. Still, they feel sticky to the touch, and I hope to get some good use out of them.

VENM

One of the Fab 5 Fords
Established Member
Bruce:
I was planning on trying the Kumho 710's this year until I saw the sale price on the Avon's. Grassroots (November) did a comparison on the 710's, Tech RA and NTO1.
GR reported that the 710's are stickier but also get slippery when hot. I ran both new and old Tech R's and couldn't tell them apart. The Avon's have really held up well for me.
The 3 sets I recieved also had 2104 as a the date code but they look great.
Is it April yet!!!

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Clay:

Thanks for the response. Now I'm wondering if I should buy a second set?

Three sets?!?! :eek: Damn! I thought I went through tires?!? :dw:

;-) :beer:

VENM

One of the Fab 5 Fords
Established Member
Bruce:
I ordered the Cobra R front brake kit. Will 17" wheels clear the calipers?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
VENM said:
Bruce:
I ordered the Cobra R front brake kit. Will 17" wheels clear the calipers?

Clay:

It depends on the wheels? 17" Cobra "R's" from a '95 no problemo. CCW's with a thin spacer, no problemo. I'm pretty sure the '03 Cobra style are ok also? Some other wheels may have issues?

YMMV,

Bruce

TroyV

Established Member
Yes All 17x9" Cobra spec wheels will fit. 95R, 03/04 5 spoke, and 10th wheels fit the 00R Bembos. AFS 95R reps fit as well, but the clearance to the front face of the caliper is about .050 or so. Been there done that. :)

Actually, a decent buy are those newer MB comp and weapon wheels that tires.com offers. I just picked up a set of the weapons from them intended for the Avons. They weigh in at 20 pounds even, which is lighter than the R58 95R wheel by about 2.5 pounds. Just an FYI.

Last edited:

VENM

One of the Fab 5 Fords
Established Member
I think I'll need a spacer for my BBS RK's (17x9). Thanks for the advice!!!

TroyV

Established Member
Yes. I can confirm that. I'm pretty sure the MM hubcentric 7/32" won't be enough. For some reason I can't post pics here, but If you PM me your email addy I can send you the diagram that Brembo uses to determine wheel clearance....in case you haven't already seen or have a copy of it.

VENM

One of the Fab 5 Fords
Established Member
Thanks for the offer Troy but, the car is under the knife currently getting some MM goodies... I guess in the scope of things what a couple hundred more for wheel spacers.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Clay:

One thing to keep in mind when you want to improve performance is reducing rotating and unsprung weight. I.E. wheels are a huge deal when it comes to keeping up with the Jones's!!

FWIW

VENM

One of the Fab 5 Fords
Established Member
I don't care about the Jones's... It's those pesky ZO6 drivers. Bruce, are you saying light 18 x 10's are the way to go?
Clay

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
VENM said:
I don't care about the Jones's... It's those pesky ZO6 drivers. Bruce, are you saying light 18 x 10's are the way to go?
Clay

Pffffftttttttt..........Z06's are great cars but rarely do you ever find a driver in them? :p They go down like cheap dates!??! :poke:

With 18" wheels, you will pay significantly more for tires. That's why I have a boat load of 17" wheels just for everyday knocking around the track. I pull out the 18's for the Big Guns with my Dunlop slicks!! :rockon:

VENM

One of the Fab 5 Fords
Established Member
Bruce:
Will the 18 x 10's fit in front without rolling the fenders? What size rubber do you run on the 18's?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
VENM said:
Bruce:
Will the 18 x 10's fit in front without rolling the fenders? What size rubber do you run on the 18's?

I run 18"x10.5" all the way around on the car. I run an English 280/650-18 that equates to a Metric 301/31-R18. They rub a tiny bit in front (hey, it's only paint!) but but I have the car set-up pretty low. :coolman:

I just received my new set of 18x11's that I hope to run a 280/660-18 all the way around. You know that new Z06 is a fast little bugger and I need as much bite as I can get! ;-)

SoftBatch

Keep Firing Assholes
Established Member
ac427cobra said:
Clay:

One thing to keep in mind when you want to improve performance is reducing rotating and unsprung weight. I.E. wheels are a huge deal when it comes to keeping up with the Jones's!!

FWIW

Wait a minute the 18s would increase rotating mass

Users who are viewing this thread