Attention E85 Users and Injector Dynamic Injectors

Eric@jpc

Established Member
Hey guys i just wanted to post up some information about E85 and winter storage.

As we all know E85-E98 is a great fuel for mustangs and i see more and more guys using it in these 2011-2014 mustangs. I was talking with tony over at ID and i asked him a few questions on storing these cars for winter or if there is anything we should do to make sure our injectors are in tip top shape for spring.

His number 1 suggestion was to DO NOT STORE THE CAR WITH E85 in the tank.

If you are putting the car up for storage you must run some pump gas through the system. E85 and E98 have little to no lubrication (oil) in the fuel. Pump 93 is obviously made from oil so you get the needed lubrication. His suggestion was to pump out as much E85 that you can and put 5-10 gallons on pump in the car. You will want to run the car for at least 10-20 mins.

IF your car has been pulled apart for winter for say a built engine and you can not run pump gas through your injectors. There is another option for you guys.

Basically you will need to power up each injector. DO NOT JUST PUT POWER AND GROUND TO THE INJECTOR FOREVER YOU WILL BURN IT UP.

Basically this is going to be a 2 person job. You will need to power up each injector for no more then 10 seconds. As this injector is powered up you will want to give a good shot of wd40 into the injector and then remove power. you will then want to store the injectors in a clean air tight container like a GOOD ziplock bag or some plastic tupper ware. DO not leave them sitting in an empty intake on your garage floor for the winter.

These injectors do have filters and you want to keep them clean. Its a Must.

Any way guys i wanted to share that info with you guys to make sure everyone is ready to rock for spring time!!

Post up any questions and i will do my best to answer :beer:

BPatterson

Established Member
Kind of on/off topic. But what about those of us that run e85 year round? Should we be adding any type of lubricant to our tanks after fill ups?

Eric@jpc

Established Member
Kind of on/off topic. But what about those of us that run e85 year round? Should we be adding any type of lubricant to our tanks after fill ups?

We always suggest trying to "pickle" the system with Pump Gas every so often. You dont really need to drive a tank of gas through it but you should swap back to pump every now and then.

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
Good info Eric, thanks for sharing. Witnessed my first ever ID injector fail last night in mexico. ID750s in a Honda--one got stuck open and, well, garden hose E85 shower for everyone. Here's the video I shot. lol

We were able to tap the injector with a hammer and get it to break free and ended up racing the car later on that night with no issues. Damn Hondas are durable...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZBMRo1VeOA

nonliberal

Established Member
Great info. My routine is when the streets get too cold to handle the traction like normal I switch to the gas tune since I can't use all the power anyway.

Then when the weather really gets bad I can put the car away for the winter with no worries since its been on gas for a while. :beer:

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor

we typically will run / recommend the lucas ethanol fuel conditioner. I would still not leave a car sit more than 2 weeks with e85 in it though. The conditioner will help, but if your going to be sitting get after some pump.

nonliberal

Established Member
we typically will run / recommend the lucas ethanol fuel conditioner. I would still not leave a car sit more than 2 weeks with e85 in it though. The conditioner will help, but if your going to be sitting get after some pump.

Is it safe to have the conditioner still in the tank on race day? I assume the conditioner has some kind of oil content and I know more oil in the fuel can help promote detonation. I often thought about the Marvel mystery oil to help the fuel pump on occasion, but stayed away from it for this reason. What are your thoughts?

mechanicboy

Established Member
We always suggest trying to "pickle" the system with Pump Gas every so often. You dont really need to drive a tank of gas through it but you should swap back to pump every now and then.

This is what ford recommends except to run a full tank. This is the procedure for a coyote F-150 but I think it still applies. I'm lucky enough to have 4wd for the winter.

Good information, I would never had thought to use wd40 in the injector.

qcksnake

Established Member
Hey guys i just wanted to post up some information about E85 and winter storage.

As we all know E85-E98 is a great fuel for mustangs and i see more and more guys using it in these 2011-2014 mustangs. I was talking with tony over at ID and i asked him a few questions on storing these cars for winter or if there is anything we should do to make sure our injectors are in tip top shape for spring.

His number 1 suggestion was to DO NOT STORE THE CAR WITH E85 in the tank.

If you are putting the car up for storage you must run some pump gas through the system. E85 and E98 have little to no lubrication (oil) in the fuel. Pump 93 is obviously made from oil so you get the needed lubrication. His suggestion was to pump out as much E85 that you can and put 5-10 gallons on pump in the car. You will want to run the car for at least 10-20 mins.

IF your car has been pulled apart for winter for say a built engine and you can not run pump gas through your injectors. There is another option for you guys.
Basically you will need to power up each injector. DO NOT JUST PUT POWER AND GROUND TO THE INJECTOR FOREVER YOU WILL BURN IT UP.

Basically this is going to be a 2 person job. You will need to power up each injector for no more then 10 seconds. As this injector is powered up you will want to give a good shot of wd40 into the injector and then remove power. you will then want to store the injectors in a clean air tight container like a GOOD ziplock bag or some plastic tupper ware. DO not leave them sitting in an empty intake on your garage floor for the winter.

These injectors do have filters and you want to keep them clean. Its a Must.

Any way guys i wanted to share that info with you guys to make sure everyone is ready to rock for spring time!!

Post up any questions and i will do my best to answer :beer:

Right on, glad to see you guys share this. IF you run E85/E98 and YOUR down for any length of time more than 2 weeks, You should pay attention to this stuff guys!

Also i just run the Lucas stabilzer and make sure i crank the car and let it warm it up every few days if im not going to track or out for a cruise when its operational;-)
I havent noticed any difference in tuneup with lucas in it. You can grab it at walmart its about 8$ a bottle.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member

Lucas ftw

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Is it safe to have the conditioner still in the tank on race day? I assume the conditioner has some kind of oil content and I know more oil in the fuel can help promote detonation. I often thought about the Marvel mystery oil to help the fuel pump on occasion, but stayed away from it for this reason. What are your thoughts?

no issues

If dd on e85 how often would you run some 93?

I like to throw some in once a month if running all the time. if the cars not sitting, and your using a conditioner, I think that's going to be good.

of course all this is subjective

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
What if you only have an e85 tune and no pump gas 93 tune? Could you still run 93 in it and let it idle?

What if I fill the tank up with e85, put some of that stabilizer in it and start the car every week or so, would I still have to run 93 in it or should I be good to go?

Last edited:

D.T.R

Established Member
yup. E85 will distroy a lot of stuff if you let the car sit with e85 in the tank/lines/rails.

I let my honda sit for 3 months with e85 and it rusted the 2150cc injectors causing them to get stuck so i had to send them back to get cleaned and flow tested. I've noticed that it even weakened some hoses where the AN fitting goes, as all of the sudden they started to leak after the car sat there for a while on e85. When the car is going to be down, the first thing i do is drain the tank (and put that fuel in one of my flex fuel cars lol) and remove the injectors and put them in a ziplock bag with some WD40, no more issues every since.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread