Attention E85 Users and Injector Dynamic Injectors

BPatterson

Established Member
What if you only have an e85 tune and no pump gas 93 tune? Could you still run 93 in it and let it idle?

What if I fill the tank up with e85, put some of that stabilizer in it and start the car every week or so, would I still have to run 93 in it or should I be good to go?

This.......

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
Car will run way lean with ethanol in the tank on a pump gas tune (substantially different stoichs) but the computer will be able to compensate for some variation. I think beef is right--no more than 30% E85 mixed in with pump gas and you should be ok on a pump gas tune.

Last edited:

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
Car will run way rich with ethanol in the tank on a pump gas tune (substantially different stoichs) but the computer will be able to compensate for some variation. I think beef is right--no more than 30% E85 mixed in with pump gas and you should be ok on a pump gas tune.

What about the other way around? 93 on an e85 tune? I know it will run like crap but would it be decent enough to let the car idle and clean everything out? I doubt my tuner has time to give me a 93 tune when he hasn't even given me a tune update yet so it's not really possible to get a 93 tune.

nonliberal

Established Member
What about the other way around? 93 on an e85 tune? I know it will run like crap but would it be decent enough to let the car idle and clean everything out? I doubt my tuner has time to give me a 93 tune when he hasn't even given me a tune update yet so it's not really possible to get a 93 tune.

If you just want to idle to get some 93 circulating through it just use your stock factory tune.

Personally I would find a new tuner if yours won't even give you an update. You really need a 93 tune in case you want to take the car out of town or if a bad batch of E85 gets distributed in your local area.

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
Aright, another question: Would the stock tune be ok with idling if I have ID1k's and a return-style fuel system?

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Car will run way rich with ethanol in the tank on a pump gas tune (substantially different stoichs) but the computer will be able to compensate for some variation. I think beef is right--no more than 30% E85 mixed in with pump gas and you should be ok on a pump gas tune.

I believe it's the other way around, on a 93 tune, the car will typically run leaner on the e85, you need 30-35% more volume for e85 than you do for 93

again, about 30-50% max 93 that way.

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
I believe it's the other way around, on a 93 tune, the car will typically run leaner on the e85, you need 30-35% more volume for e85 than you do for 93

again, about 30-50% max 93 that way.

Ya, monday morning brainfart. I was explaining it backwards.

Stoich for E85 is substantially lower than pump gas so e85 will make the car lean out if tuned for 93 octane. The reverse is true if someone has an E85 car and they put in 93 octane. The stoich for e85 is so much lower that the computer will flood the car with fuel thinking it's running lean.

Thanks for the sanity check beef :beer: I edited my first post so there's no confusion.

Eric@jpc

Established Member
[youtube_browser]HyRVXrvSRno[/youtube_browser]

Not a super high quality video here but it gives you the idea on how we set up to do our ID2000s

D.T.R

Established Member
Aright, another question: Would the stock tune be ok with idling if I have ID1k's and a return-style fuel system?
No. The IDs have different injector dead times, not to mention they are 3 times bigger the CC lol
I believe it's the other way around, on a 93 tune, the car will typically run leaner on the e85, you need 30-35% more volume for e85 than you do for 93.

Yeah if you have a e85 tune and throw 93 in it, the car will run fatter.

D.T.R

Established Member
[youtube_browser]HyRVXrvSRno[/youtube_browser]

Not a super high quality video here but it gives you the idea on how we set up to do our ID2000s

Nice little video ya got durrr lmao

Thank god the winters here in FL are a joke and we can drive our cars all year around lol

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Nice little video ya got durrr lmao

Thank god the winters here in FL are a joke and we can drive our cars all year around lol

No kidding, I can drive my car around here on E85 all year round. Only gets about 25-30 on the coldest mornings and no snow here ever.

Users who are viewing this thread