Votes: 385 52.5%
  • Whipple

Votes: 168 22.9%
  • Other

Votes: 50 6.8%

• Total voters

cjuni

Established Member
Well lets see I have a ATI but, so I should tell you ATI....but with 3 leaks in less then 1 month and all I get back from them is shit....I would never ever buy thing from them. OH and they doon't have a customer service mgr.
So your stuck talkin to the guys who say the fixed them.....but 3 trys later thE piece of ShiT still leaks....but the wont replace it with a new. :mj: :mj: :mj: :mj: :mj:

So in short........ATI SUCKS JUST AS BAD AS KB!!!!

UPDATE........I guess the 3rd. time is a charm....got it in and it workin great :pepper: :pepper: :pepper:

BUT it still sucks that i had to go though this

Last edited:

red03dave

Established Member
harleytruck9144 said:
i am now a big fan of whipple... their new products are unbelievable... i met a guy with a whipple on his 03 cobra and he made over 640 at the wheels at 17lbs , higher than any KB i have ever seen at 19 lbs (619rwhp). the whipple has certain things about it that the KB does not which make it have lower intake charges which yeild more hp. but then again if you are going to build a dragster, i too would put a centrifugal s/c on there and build the already built motor and drop an auto in there.
I'm curious as to what "certain" things the Whipple has that the KB doesn't which allows it to "make it have lower intake charges which yeild more hp"...? If anything I have heard the opposite from bias parties/people who have nothing to gain by talking up one or the other.

Miamiafan.... What "problems" are these KB's "known to have"?? I have not seen nor heard of any KB's failing...? The only issue that the KB's USED TO have was the oil spray or blow by on the OLD snouts. This has been fixed for about a year hasn't it?

Dave

HawkMech

Wildhorses Rule!!!
Established Member
I can tell you that there is no need to get the 2.4 KB unless you are planning to run more than 24# of boost. Kenne Bell will even tell you the same thing.

csumt76

Established Member
Whipple all the way... It's good enough for Ford right? Same Whipple 2300AX that is used on the GT... Plus the price is right, $3060 from superchargersonline or you can get the polished one for 600 more.

Whipple Charged

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Thought everybody would want some of the latest info. Here's a press release from Opcon introducing a new CEO, Mr. Rolf Hasseslstrom, which owned SRM and Lysholm.

OPCON APPOINTS NEW CEO AND INTENSIFIES THE DEVELOPMENT OF ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY POWER FOR THE CAR INDUSTRY

Mr. Rolf Hasselström has been appointed CEO of Opcon from Jan. 1, 2005. He replaces Mr. Sven G. Oskarsson who retires as CEO after ten years. Presently Mr. Hasselström is responsible for the business area Mechanics with the companies Svenska Rotor Maskiner, Lysholm Technologies, Autorotor and Laminova as well as Opcon Inc.

The former CEO Mr. Sven G. Oskarsson will remain on the Board of Directors.

Mr. Svein Valheim has been appointed Vice President as from December 1, 2004. He is responsible for the business area Electromechanics where production of ignition systems and electromechanical devices are. During the first quarter 2005 Opcon starts production of ignition systems for combustion engines in China. The reason is to increase the competitiveness by reducing the production costs and to establish business on the Asian market.

The Opcon company develops modern technique in the field of ignition systems for engines, air systems for fuel cells engines, electromagnetic devices, superchargers for combustion engines, industrial air and cooling systems, intercoolers and oil coolers.

Opcon´s products and systems contribute to increasing the energy efficiency and radically decreasing the environmental impact within the car industry as well as the manufacturing industry.

Opcon is market leader of air systems for fuel cell engines to the car industry .

Opcon takes part in several projects together with the world´s leading car producers for development of the new intelligent fuel cell technique of the future which means that the carbon dioxide from cars totally can be reduced.

For further information please contact the Chairman of the Board, Mr Hans Golteus,
phone: +46 8 505 65 210.

Whipple Charged

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
red03dave said:
I'm curious as to what "certain" things the Whipple has that the KB doesn't which allows it to "make it have lower intake charges which yeild more hp"...? If anything I have heard the opposite from bias parties/people who have nothing to gain by talking up one or the other.

Miamiafan.... What "problems" are these KB's "known to have"?? I have not seen nor heard of any KB's failing...? The only issue that the KB's USED TO have was the oil spray or blow by on the OLD snouts. This has been fixed for about a year hasn't it?

Dave

Dave, a few of the "certain" things is this:
1. Higher flowing rear inlet which allows for higher air flows with less restriction. This reduces the overall discharge temps and parasatic losses. :poke:
2. Radiused discharge and taller plenuem allows for less pressure drop above the IC and less turbulence which reduces airflow and reduces unwanted heat. The better you can distribute the air to the core, the more flow and cooling you can reach. Turbos and centrifugals typcically have an advantage here because there coming in through a remote mounted SC and they can duct air evenly. :fm: This means we have to work harder to get airflow correct.
3. Properly sized byass system. Others have the airflow cut off which increases parasatic losses during vacuum operation and increases discharge temps dramatically while in vacuum, this creates higher intake air temps under initial throttle response (first amount of airflow is dramatically higher). This higher temp during vacuum decreases throttle response and typically power because it induces detonation, which retards timing, which is then put back over the rpm range netting a lower overall power curve.
4. Although it's very little (I only mention it because I laugh at some bragging about solid steel SC pulleys), some try to compare rotor weight or recopricating mass, but our lightened aluminum pulleys are far lighter than other solid steel pulleys and offer far better safety with it's guards. They allow a very minimal difference, virtually unmeasurable, but the lower weight allows for quicker air flow and less drag on the crankshaft.

Thanks,
Dustin :pepper:

yeasure

Old School ModularMan
Established Member
Heres what i'm looking at....
Why buy a 2.4 over the 2.2 unless you plan on running 25+psi?
KB states that they make the same power/numbers, no different(if i read that correct).
I have no problems with either twin but one thing that is pushing me to the KB is the fact not only do i get a Twin from KB but a BAP/tune for pretty much the same price.
Now this doesn't mean i think the whipple is sh*t but it save me a lot of time in the long run and i don't have to hunt down trying to find something that works.
Now if Whipple Charged would like to push me more in his direction my ears are open.

Whipple Charged

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
yeasure,
Our system is cheaper and there are quite a few reasons why we don't supply a BAP or chip.
A. At 13psi, you do not need to change a thing, no computer mods, no BAP, nothing, just the sc, 3.5" pulley and you'll have about 80+ more hp than stock.
B. At the next pulley size, 3.25" the stock injectors are just barely enough and the stock pump is just enough which should make 15-16psi depending on mods. This needs a PCM flash change to remove the MAF clip, Diablo, SCT, etc. all offer this along with other features.
C. Go to the 3" pulley or larger crank pulley's and you'll need dual focus pumps, larger injectors, large TB, CAI, and certainly a custom cal.

To my knowledge, most are running smaller pulleys that require inj changes, fuel pumps, custom cals, etc. so you spend more money for parts you may not use or may replace anyways. Both are going to make great power, just have to find one that fits your needs the best.
Thanks,
Dustin

Miamifan1354

De Chapter of the MACA
Established Member
Dave, people were talking about whipple snouts comming apart.. KB's did the same thing.. both have been fixed.. Whipples have never had an oil problem, KB's did. And whipples still don't get hot enough to cook breakfast on after your first run down the track, but Kbs do.. :beer:

My post was just a rebuttle that all those who said the snout problems on the whipples was a huge deal.. It's been fixed, just like the KB oil spray was a big problem, but has since been fixed..

Whipple Charged

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
miamifan1354, thanks for the post, care for some bacon and eggs? :D Wouldn't that be a great commercial?

For some odd reason, so many made a huge deal on quite a few websites. To my knowledge, there were 2 drive failures where the pulley hub bolt ripped the threads of the drive, same customer, similar situation. We had one other customer that did something similar but it was not as severe, thats a total of 3 drives! In %, thats a very, very small %. After further testing, we found that some of the drives did not meet our standard, some were not brought to the proper heat treating level, under a rockwell test, some proved softer than our standard which is why the threads were pulled out.

Since that, we changed the heat treating process, increased the thread engagement by 45% and went to a roll thread to increase strength. We will warranty any drive failure related to this issue, just as we did previously.

Thanks,
Dustin

TechRTM

Established Member
Whipples are great and complete although most of our sales have come via just with a bolt on in mind 13psi. with a possible upgrade later. Results have been good. We just sold a Whipple back East on an 03 this will be a higher boost application.

Kenne Bell's are always awesome! Kits are very complete. Feedback has been just awesome !! Sinister Power! no 2.4's yet..........yet! :p

ProCharger SVT 03 just waiting on the Seimens Injectors and have the MAFExtender Ready to Go! So far this SVT is the sickest yet!
with 637rwhp and drives like a Stocker under 3500rpm. Customer aiming for 680-700rwhp and the Tuner/Installer is the best locally!

We documented the Install!
Check it out here!
http://www.rtmmotorsports.com/RTM2003Cobra.htm

Want to see this SVT in Action! between dyno sessions!
http://www.rtmmotorsports.com/BBRTM.WMV

We will keep ya Posted! :pop:

Last edited:

red03dave

Established Member
Just so you guys know I was not trying to SLAM the Whipple, just asking what all these bads things about the KB are that the Whipple didn't .......

FWIW - I was VERY close to buying a Whipple myself but ended up with a KB and have zero regrets just like I'm sure all the Whipple owners have no regrets.

93Snake

My buddy had his whipple installed the other day... it's just plain awesome, great fitting product and he made great power even at 16 psi.

Fast Willy

Established Member
I say the whipple, but I would wait a see what the new kb 2.4 puts out. Thats my opinion. I just love the low end tq they you get from the twin screws, thats best for a daily driver.

NIELSTTCOBRA

Got Boost?
Established Member
like mentioned earlier, its all in the tune... i've seen whipples make less at the same boost as a kb, and vice versa. being both an autocross and drag guy, i've seen both give off the same amount of heat. the nature of twin screw blower is putting off alot of heat... the whipple is just as much a furnace as the kb when putting the pedal to the medal for extended periods.
both make great power and and have no problems anymore! really comes down to which you like better. my votes for the kb... only because it's whine is much lounder than a whipple. i also think the kb looks better... but thats my opinion. :-D

Users who are viewing this thread