As usual, Cobra Brakes Stink! What do I do??

maoun

Established Member
the only things about the home made kit that i don't like:
1) doesn't look as duarable
2) the air flow isn't as direct onto the rotor because of no back plate.

change those 2 things and the home kit would be awesome...but then it's about the same price as B&Ds.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Originally posted by SnkBtn99
34000 on my original '99 pads and rotors and still going strong ...I may have to finally change in the spring. This is WITH track time ....

.......What torque setting are you tigheting your lugs down to ?

Platinum...this is very important..../\....

even a slight accidental over torque of the lug nuts can warp rotors w/ little or no hard braking ever taking place.....
here is why...the studs are in the hat(hub)...the rotors fit onto the hats...by over tightening....the hub can distort...a half to sometimes a few thou....now here's the kicker, that 2 thou by the time that extends out into the swept area, gets magnified(evil math) to 10 or 15 thou and you sure will feel that.

so.......even if you are mainly concerned w/ street braking(which w/ these heavy cars is still a mild performance app.) from what i've read the stock brakes are not that bad...so longevity is also a trade off(somewhat) with rotor wear...

If you are not doing track events or auto cross...just drags and aggresive street...I think you would be fine w/ a stock set up...new pads...I like the hawks too BTW...and yea...I would turn those rotors first....depending on how much you have to cut em...
if the rotors need to much cut off I think I would still lean towards stock replacements unless you are doing track stuff...

to be honest there are a lot of specifics to your situation that affect your options.....which are legion in number...good luck there are some way more qualified "brake guys" on here than me.....That is one of my interests though, because track stuff is something I'm going to want to do:rockon: :rockon: :rockon:
jimmy:thumbsup:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Originally posted by maoun
i always use 85lbs....very specifically

m.
There it is!

and yes this is a HUGE DEAL!!!

The pad wear could just be your driving style coupled w/ commuting...don't know... but when you've got a car this violent and heavy....plus they are just so DAMN much fun...the more fun ...the more pad wear:beer:

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Originally posted by Jimmysidecarr
There it is!

and yes this is a HUGE DEAL!!!

The pad wear could just be your driving style coupled w/ commuting...don't know... but when you've got a car this violent and heavy....plus they are just so DAMN much fun...the more fun ...the more pad wear:beer:

Thanks Jimmy,

And thanks to everyone else by providing feedback! Keep it comin'! I'm learning a lot more than I ever imagined.

:beer: :beer: :beer:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Jeff.
Are you thinking about maybe doing some on track stuff?...
You would love it I'm sure.

And you are already a respected member of an incredible resource...
this forum...
The on track guys here are amazing they have already done the homework...gone out and worn out stuff, broken stuff, over heated stuff, etc. etc
You just need too to target your brake mods to what you are going to do with the car, for example I know that the braided steel lines enhance feel....over the moon...and in a track situation you NEED THEM!!
But if your just streeting...maybe not...see what I mean...
the app. determines the direction you go.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Jeff.
Are you thinking about maybe doing some on track stuff?...
You would love it I'm sure.

And you are already a respected member of an incredible resource...
this forum...
The on track guys here are amazing they have already done the homework...gone out and worn out stuff, broken stuff, over heated stuff, etc. etc
You just need too to target your brake mos to what you are going to do with the car, for example I know that the braided steel lines enhance feel....over the moon...and in a track situation you NEED THEM!!
But if your just streeting...maybe not...see what I mean...
the app. determines the direction you go.

Thank you Jimmy for asking! I was thinking road course at least once a month. But wouldn't be starting until the middle of this year (for warranty reasons). So here's what I do know I'm getting:

HPS Pads front
High Temp Synthetic Racing Brake Fluid
Steel braided lines

What's still up in the air is:

Which rotors to use?
Go with ceramic pads in the rear?

I always retorque my lugs nuts every time a wheel or wheels are removed for any reason (like a wheel balance). I usually torque to 80.

I am very hard on brakes in general. Every Mustang I've owned has ended up with warped rotors 7-10K miles after replacement. It's the Audi in me. I got spoiled driving European cars, especially when I realized that braking can be almost as much fun as accelerating; they don't fade like these Fords do. I don't engine brake unless it's absolutely necessary and it's why my motors outlast my cars. You could call me the Raybestos man; I can't tell you how many lifetime replacement pads I've returned.

Interesting enough, every vehicle I've owned I've had to beef up the rear brakes, especially on my Ford's. And I still think these Brembo rotors up front are just not thick enough. They grab nicely but the fade is just horrid. It's like the weight of the car is pounding on these poor little brakes that were designed for a 3200 lb Corvette. :shrug:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
excellent choice!
In the past we Ford guys have had very shYtty brakes we are just now w/ the svts starting to get some attention in this area...I saw one of our other "brake guys" mention not getting too excited about the rears,
I'm afraid I would have to concour...I think just the same type hawks on the rear would be fine.
I'm embarrassed to admit I don't know if the traction control on a cobra functions like it does(IE w/ rear abs brake application) on a town car/crown vic/grand marquis....on these cars a lead foot(my mom) will actually wear out the rears before the fronts and yet the tires look great!
We sometimes see em gone @12k....sheeeez...just a thought, don't know on a stang.

PS: if your tire balance guys don't use a torque stick, or better yet a real torque wrench, then they possibly could have over torqued your lugs( I really wanted to just say NUTS, I have such self control:bash: )....then later unless you check to see what it takes to loosen them you may never know until it's warp city....damage done:thumbsup:

Last edited:

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
excellent choice!

I'm embarrassed to admit I don't know if the traction control on a cobra functions like it does(IE w/ rear abs brake application) on a town car/crown vic/grand marquis....on these cars a lead foot(my mom) will actually wear out the rears before the fronts and yet the tires look great!

That's OK, we all would assume the traction control should be tied to the ABS system. Unfortunately, Ford went cheap and decided to tie it into the engine. It's like WARP REVERSE. :nonono: Imagine flooring your car and having the engine die. It's horrid.

maoun

Established Member
i use hps plus in front, hps in rear...motul 600 fluid...braided lines....and the ducting kit

very large difference

Users who are viewing this thread