As usual, Cobra Brakes Stink! What do I do??

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
I have around 15K on the car and the brake pads are completely shot, along with the front rotors being way outa round. The rears are almost as bad. I don't even lay on them all that much.:nonono:

With that said, what have you guys/gals found to help prevent rotor warp, and that nasty brake dust? Was there a particular front rotor setup, perhaps a drilled/slotted rotor? Is there a rear upgrade? Should I go to ceramic pads?

Suggestions?

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
Petzuk runs these I seen pics they look great.

Baer Eradispeed one piece rotors. They look nice (won't rust)
Best place to buy: On-TrackPerformance.com

I have been looking for some ceramic rears to get rid of the dusting and was going to pick up my usual Quiet Stop Raybestoes but they arnt making them yet for our cars. I have been told of some others but I dont want some real high performance track stuff that makes noise and eats rotors or sell the first born just for breaks. Besides I did that getting the car.

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
Turn the rotors and go with a set of Hawk HPS or HPS Plus pads.

351MachOne

Kicking Your Ass
Established Member
Stock pads suck. Get some Hawk pads. They will squeal but the pedal feel is amazing and you will stop faster. However be careful... The dust you are seeing with the Hawks is probably your rotor =)

I went back to normal pads. The Hawks were done at 10.5k...

03DOHC

Established Member
That sucks. I'm coming up on 17000 miles and have no rotor warping. I'll be rotating my tires this week and will check out my pads.

maoun

Established Member
hps plus in front...hps in rear
brake ducting kit
motul 600 fluid
steel braided lines

use the stock rotor

see how that is for ya...it's inexpensive and effective...

Boostin01

Established Member
Originally posted by maoun
brake ducting kit
motul 600 fluid
steel braided lines

use the stock rotor

Where did you get the brake ducting kit? Got Pics?????:beer:

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Originally posted by maoun
brake ducting kit
motul 600 fluid
steel braided lines

use the stock rotor

Which brake ducting kit did you use? Was it the Sean Hyland Cobra R version? Does it fit? Or is was it the Mirage Motorsports version (don't know if they are still around)?

I will definitely go with the pads. Still up in the air about the rotors. Found some pricing from Thunder Racing:

$292.49 For front Eradispeed rotor set
$245.69 For rear Eradispeed rotor set
$80.09 For HPS front pads
$53.09 For HP rear pads

Thunder Racing Click Here

I would want to do both front and rear but don't know if it's even worth doing the rears without upgrading the calipers, or if the current rear setup is enough.
:shrug:

Joe King

Visual molester
Established Member
How much do you want to spend???

Platinum

I've spoken to alot of people about this subject.

First, I agree w/all the suggestions given re: pads. I would add to it...steel brake lines also.

You didn't say wheather you were looking to IMPROVE brake performance...are you?

I haven't found anything for the rear available as a bolt on (except drilled rotors & pads)...the e-brake is a major PITA. Remember there is very little to be gained w/rear upgrades as the rear does maybe 15% of the total braking.

Changing rotors to the same diameter will have little/no effect on performance. Drilled/slotted on the street are pretty much just BLING

If you aren't using them too hard I think your warping won't be cured by a duct kit. I THINK they are more a race oriented mod (I could be mistaken). If you are getting 17k out of rotors..whats the biggy about turning them & replacing them every 1-2 years they are cheap?

If you want to go the next step up..you can go to a 2-piece rotor. It will dissapate heat better..cost $600+/pair. After that you can get into caliper mods.

If you get seriously crazy (like me) PM me & I'll tell you about my adventures.

Good luck

AMB

Established Member
PlatinumCobra

I installed the Wilwood Pro Street front rotors with braded steel lines and Baer EradiSpeed Plus two peice rear rotors. They WILL stop the car. You will still have the dust and some brake squeel, But they work.

AMB

SnkBtn99

Speeding bullet!!
Established Member
34000 on my original '99 pads and rotors and still going strong ...I may have to finally change in the spring. This is WITH track time ....

What torque setting are you tigheting your lugs down to ?

Last edited:

geepaw

Heck yes I did it!
Established Member
I would turn your rotors first..if that does not get rid of the the warp, go with new rotors. It's a cheap gamble.

maoun

Established Member
B&D racing has a brake ducting kit for a lot cheaper than that....call them at 818.992.3278...tell them marwane sent ya.

no pics...sorry! but trust me, you'll like it

m.

maoun

Established Member
here's the backplate w/o the actual tubing...that's all i have pics of rite now

plus, they come in colors

sorry!
m.

Users who are viewing this thread