Are the "Cobra" letters on the back bumper stock??

mfrazier2

Engineers lead the way!
Established Member
My Cobra has chrome letter inserts in the bumper and i was considering taking them out and putting in the black sticker style ones, depending on if i go to black wheels, but does anyone know if these were factory or not? I've seen some cars that have them and some that didn't. I hate to take them out if they are the originals.
rsz_14424178_10154079703624220_58552005_o_zpszksdqekj.jpg

Zemedici

Established Member
They're not factory and if they're the sturdy stainless steel ones I would be leery about taking them off. The SS ones are much stronger than the cheap black vinyl purchased online. Not to mention the SS usually takes some paint with it, which will show right through the sticker.

mfrazier2

Engineers lead the way!
Established Member
They're not factory and if they're the sturdy stainless steel ones I would be leery about taking them off. The SS ones are much stronger than the cheap black vinyl purchased online. Not to mention the SS usually takes some paint with it, which will show right through the sticker.
Yeah ive heard they're tricky to get off, but ive been reading on how to take them off and supposedly you can take a heat gun, fishing line and some 3M adhesive remover and it'll come off ok.

oldmodman

Established Member
If you do want them gone get some Naptha and dribble it on the letter. One at a time until it starts to dissolve the double sided tape holding it on. It will melt the double sided tape and allow you to get a piece of fishing line behind it. Only took me ten minutes to remove all the letters and they didn't get damaged so I was able to give them away to someone that wanted them. They were the thick, harder to remove letters.

mdever12

Established Member
Another option is black chrome letters, not the sticker ones. Don't know who sells them, but I've seen them a few times.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Stock had no chrome inserts or stickers or anything. It was just plain letters the same color as the bumper. The COBRA lettering was actually quite unnoticeable stock.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
that is true, they were just molded indentations in the plastic bumper - sort of unnoticeable.

blue mustang rear letters.jpg

pesonally i think inserts are a nice improvement from stock

toomanytoys

Established Member
If you're thinking of getting black wheels with a polished lip, leave the ss inserts alone and get a set of black vinyl ones. Trim a little off the edge and lay them over the ss ones. That way your bumper letters will be black with a polished lip as well

Users who are viewing this thread