Are Terminators worth it?

Dombrocj

Established Member
New Terminator owner here, less than 12 months. Originally wanted a gt500, couldn't afford it so looked at others. Ended up w an 04 w intake, pulley and catback for around 20k. Love the car, the look, torque, etc. However not for daily driving, and not a cheap car to own in regards to mods. Modding is fun and there is a huge new/used market for parts.

Do it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

whipple1raptor

Established Member
I've had quite a few Mustangs. Recently sold my GT350 and really didn't have a hard time doing it. I've always wanted a Cobra..... As a matter of fact if I had just gotten one when they had come out, I probably wouldn't have had all the Mustangs that I did. So I went out and got one! The car is so iconic. It gets a ton of attention and people will come right up to me and ask to buy it from me... No way! This one I'm keeping.
It has it all and with the proper modifications, it can put the smack down on most things on the street today.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

whipple1raptor

Established Member
I've had quite a few Mustangs. Recently sold my GT350 and really didn't have a hard time doing it. I've always wanted a Cobra..... As a matter of fact if I had just gotten one when they had come out, I probably wouldn't have had all the Mustangs that I did. So I went out and got one! The car is so iconic. It gets a ton of attention and people will come right up to me and ask to buy it from me... No way! This one I'm keeping.
It has it all and with the proper modifications, it can put the smack down on most things on the street today.

And I put LoJack on it

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
Test drive one! It's truly an experience.

The first time I drove one I couldn't wipe the smile off my face. It will make your 3v seem like a pig.

C5Zs are fun too though!

My advice is dont limit yourself to cars within driving distance. The last two terminators I have bought were 8+ hrs away.

Do your due diligence and have them inspected.

Reach out to guys on the forums or Facebook groups to swing by and look at it for you.

Get a leakdown test.

Dont buy the first one you drive without driving another.

I'm on my 4th terminator. I love to get them build them up and sell them off to start over. Some say it's a waste of money, but I like to mod them as much as I like to drive them.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

07s197gt

Established Member

Wow this just 100% sold me on the terminator. I didn't think anyone would sell a gt350 to get one! I guess you don't miss any of the refinements of the s550. If I find the right one before selling my 3 valve, I will probably pull the trigger on it.

whipple1raptor

Established Member
Wow this just 100% sold me on the terminator. I didn't think anyone would sell a gt350 to get one! I guess you don't miss any of the refinements of the s550. If I find the right one before selling my 3 valve, I will probably pull the trigger on it.

Don't get me wrong the GT350 was a beautiful car.
Extremely refined, but I knew I probably could never mod that car. Was just too special. You don't have to do much to the GT350 either. I had the car for about 8 months then moved from Georgia to Texas. I chose to get out of the car not because I had to, but it didn't become something that I had to have at that point. I could have easily kept it. There was no connection to it.

Again I always wanted a Terminator. Very viscous. It's a muscle car. It is well respected. For a 15 year old car to get as much attention as it does, it's crazy. They are now rare. The car can make crazy HP so it's not obsolete and probably never will be with how SVT designed the car. I like to mod my cars.

When you sit in the seat of one, it demands respect and you know it's a driver's car. That's why I will never part with it.

whipple1raptor

Established Member

To your point... You have to find the right one.
I was looking for a Mystichrome. Saw one on a website, but when the dealership that had it called me, it turned out the car was Torch Red. The miles were low with 25 thousand on her. The emblem was still a Horse and not the Cobra. Still had factory supercharger shroud on it. Paint was in excellent shape.

I knew I had to pull the trigger and get it, cause it was going to last long. So.... Had it put on an enclosed trailer from Las Vegas to Houston. I didn't even drive the car. I had the dealership send me all videos and the car had never been in any accidents.
IMG_0061.JPG
IMG_0055.JPG
IMG_0062.JPG
IMG_0271.JPG
IMG_0273.JPG

NotoriousGT350

Lubbock Terminator
Established Member
Sums it up when I drive into a cars and coffee. They usually want to go for a ride if I ever take it down the track too.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Well , if you not planning on modifications it should be a very solid car. I would suggest checking and inspecting it before buying. The terminator is well built vehicle but not perfect. Depending on what upgrades it has hopefully it also comes with the supports too. Best of luck

If you’re not planning on modifications then it definitely is not worth the asking price unless you want a bone stock car to park at car shows like an older gentleman. The stockers are definitely getting rare.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
To your point... You have to find the right one.
I was looking for a Mystichrome. Saw one on a website, but when the dealership that had it called me, it turned out the car was Torch Red. The miles were low with 25 thousand on her. The emblem was still a Horse and not the Cobra. Still had factory supercharger shroud on it. Paint was in excellent shape.

I knew I had to pull the trigger and get it, cause it was going to last long. So.... Had it put on an enclosed trailer from Las Vegas to Houston. I didn't even drive the car. I had the dealership send me all videos and the car had never been in any accidents.
View attachment 1572395View attachment 1572396View attachment 1572397View attachment 1572398View attachment 1572399

That thing is CLEAN!!!

whipple1raptor

Established Member
That thing is CLEAN!!!

Thanks. I'm extremely lucky I found it. The car wasn't properly advertised so people could find it. I had previously been trying to negotiate on a Sonic Blue in Chicago, but there were like 5 guys all over that car. I recently had some performance work done to it and the shop guys couldn't believe the condition of the car. After the work I had done, car puts down 450rwhp. Didn't even change the pulley. Stock supercharger shroud is still on. Just waiting on a sale to get the 2.9 Whipple .

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
I’ve owned and DAILY driven mine since Dec 2002 - includes 4x cross country moves/drives.

With a $1000 in mods since new (pulley, exhaust, tune), I have had a 460hp/tq car that has been above board for 90% of the factory cars out there over the last 17 years, including today.

The fox body with boost analogy is spot on. No fancy stuff (although I added a DIN and modern headlights) to break or weigh it down, NOTHING on the car is expensive to replace comparable to today’s cars.

I have spent approximately $2000 in repairs over the last 17 years that all related to gaskets, leaks, normal wear/tear.

IF you accept that you are buying a novelty dinosaur and are EXTREMELY prejudicial with the car’s history before buying, I would recommend pulling the trigger.

I would consider a national search for the right car, with the mods you are looking for and a history you are comfortable with.

SLOWBRA

Established Member
Terminator!!

As someone above stated it’s pretty much a raw driving experience. I don’t like the refined feel of most modern cars - just not the same. All those gadgets in the new ones are fancy, but frankly just enjoy driving the car!

I’ve owned mine for about 10 years and it’s here to stay forever along with the other cars in my stable.

Good luck in your search!

Oh and CO Vert’s for the win!

e0d219c0a330a12d4a920ae8adef4eca.jpg

Tifosi2003GT

Established Member
That is a question for yourself. Spend 22K on a Cobra and in 5 years, if history is any indication it will still be worth 22K. The z06 is also a good choice, they are at their rock bottom and good value is out there. If you want a better rounded carm the Z06, but the Cobra will make power easier and is a bit more iconic in the right circles.
Buy a newer car? Your choice, but you 22K wont be worth 22K in 5 years, that I can almost say for certain.

spot on sir

whipple1raptor

Established Member
Terminator!!

As someone above stated it’s pretty much a raw driving experience. I don’t like the refined feel of most modern cars - just not the same. All those gadgets in the new ones are fancy, but frankly just enjoy driving the car!

I’ve owned mine for about 10 years and it’s here to stay forever along with the other cars in my stable.

Good luck in your search!

Oh and CO Vert’s for the win!

View attachment 1572426

Damn.... That thing looks great! Thinking about a Vert myself.

SLOWBRA

Established Member
Damn.... That thing looks great! Thinking about a Vert myself.

Just do it. There was a brief moment in time where I thought about selling it, but when push came to shove I just couldn’t do it. My 4yr old and wife love to cruise around in this thing. Plus it’s the only mustang in my garage with a backseat.

RI-SVT

TVS Powered
Established Member
I will it again tomorrow, I love these cars, BTW no freaking way you will by this car and not mod it just no way, my friend just bought a 2017 5.0 making payments and drools every single time over mine, oh and I whoop his ass every single time too.

Users who are viewing this thread