Are Netgear routers good?

SVT Wylde

The Accountant
Established Member
I have decided to move from my desktop PC to an IPad and touchscreen laptop so I need a wireless router. I live in a single story 1800 sq ft house and I'd like to be able to use my wireless stuff in the backyard. I would be 35 to 45 feet maximum distance at the most from the router.

I am looking at the Netgear 600 but the Netgear 900 looks like it has more range. I have been reading reviews on Amazon but the reviews are all over the place. Is Netgear a good brand or are there better alternatives? I'd like to keep the cost to around $150 bucks.

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
I have a Netgear wireless router. I believe it is the 900. I bought it less than a year ago. I have never had any problems at all with it. I also live in an 1800 sqft single story home. Right now I am about 25 feet away from it and it works fine. Never a problem with mine.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
i don't know anything about their reputation, but i've owned 2 in the last 6 or 7 years and they've been 100% problem free. i had trouble doing some port forwarding, but i believe that's user error more than the product.

Panic661

Established Member
I've had mine for 3+ years with 0 issues. My router is upstairs, and I have great signal downstairs and in my garage.

I have a cheaper router about $60.

r2kool4u

Blah Blah
Established Member
I have their 1gb router and it is awesome. Has both 2.4 and 5ghz capability. Paid 180 for it two years ago.

Stupidity brought to you by Tapatalk

fiveoboy01

Established Member
As an alternative, I've always used Cisco routers and have never had any troubles with them. I think most of the major brands are OK though. I know plenty of people with Netgear who like them. I use a netgear ethernet switch in the basement and it has been fully reliable as well.

Planter

Banned
i had one last year. took it back after a week. it was a pain in the ass. got a linksys and had no problems.

This abrasive, aggravating and appalling commentary brought to you courtesy of trash-a-talk. :bored:

GodStang

Established Member
Netgear are down on the list of good routers but they work. My $24 Cisco router with DD-WRT repeater that is in the center of my house 1500sqft house and I can get a signal anywhere in the yard just fine (half acre). I also have a D-Link DIR-825 that is just unreal and it has dropped in price to around $60-$75. Just read reviews now a days most will work just fine for what you are doing.

Last edited:

svtaddict

Established Member
also make sure your not on the same channel as your neighbors preferably at least three channels apart from all neighbors. you may have a good router but have many problems due to this also the higher the power ouput is set the farther it goes. most the time by default they are set to max though. but back to the channel thing most are set to auto so you may have problems only sometimes. good luck

mnewxcv

Established Member
i had a low end d link that was nothing but problems. it was $30 (50% off) and nothing i did would keep it from dropping out and needing to be reset each day. replaced with a linksys. for my dad, i set up a netgear about 6 months ago to replace his old linksys which bit the dust, and thats been working great for his light use, but id imagine would be fine with heavier use and it seems well put together physically and my brief time in the settings GUI were painless.

svtaddict

Established Member
cisco routers are really good you just have to take classes to figure out how to program them

fiveoboy01

Established Member
You do? I plugged mine in, and put the disk in my laptop and setup my network name and password.. and that was it. Unless you're talking about an older style. I thought there was nothing to mine. And I'm somewhat dumb with computers.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I just bought a Cisco E2599 wireless router a couple of months ago. Super easy to setup and very reliable. I paid $79.99 for it at Best Buy.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
i had one last year. took it back after a week. it was a pain in the ass. got a linksys and had no problems.

I had almost the exact same experience. Overnight the Netgear would drop broadcasting and would need to be rebooted. One week of that was enough.

Panic661

Established Member
I really like the Cisco/Linsys routers, but can't justify buying anything new since my Netgear hasn't died.

I know I posted earlier, didn't see you were looking to spend $150-ish. For that much I'd be looking at a Cisco router. Overall I think they've got a much better name, better quality, better build.

Users who are viewing this thread