are all 4.6 2v and 4v midpipes the same? stock manifolds

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
some manufacturers such as bassani and pypes show different part numbers that are specific to years and sohc/dohc. for example bassani 03/04 cobra and mach 1 are a different number than manual gt's and the 96-01 cobras. pypes told me they don't think their gt midpipes (they have both an x and an h) probably won't work on a 4v, but somehow i don't think the person i spoke to really knew. both their x-pipes and h-pipes specifically show they are for mustang gt's.

yet other manufacturers will show the same part number for all 99-04 manual and automatic, both sohc and dohc. magnaflow, bbk, and mrt for example.

in the past i have only bought bassani x-pipes and wanted to try something different, but it seems like some of the ones i wanted to try such as the mac prochamber are no longer available, and it seems like the options are not as readily available as they were say 5-10 years ago. i want to make sure i get something that will fit terminators without modification. thx

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
some manufacturers such as bassani and pypes show different part numbers that are specific to years and sohc/dohc. for example bassani 03/04 cobra and mach 1 are a different number than manual gt's and the 96-01 cobras. pypes told me they don't think their gt midpipes (they have both an x and an h) probably won't work on a 4v, but somehow i don't think the person i spoke to really knew. both their x-pipes and h-pipes specifically show they are for mustang gt's.

yet other manufacturers will show the same part number for all 99-04 manual and automatic, both sohc and dohc. magnaflow, bbk, and mrt for example.

in the past i have only bought bassani x-pipes and wanted to try something different, but it seems like some of the ones i wanted to try such as the mac prochamber are no longer available, and it seems like the options are not as readily available as they were say 5-10 years ago. i want to make sure i get something that will fit terminators without modification. thx

I think the answer is it depends. Each manufacturer routes the pipe slightly different and depending on auto vs manual and year what transmission and crossmember you have. I think most companies just have one that is pretty much universal.

Btw I liked Bassani, just leak prone since its 100+ piece puzzle but makes it super adjustable. Moved on to ARH, still have my Bassani if you're nearby it's yours if you can get the O2 sensors out lol.

03' White Snake

Established Member
They are the same, O2 locations are the only difference. Might need O2 extensions.

04 stock had another set of cats.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
I think the answer is it depends. Each manufacturer routes the pipe slightly different and depending on auto vs manual and year what transmission and crossmember you have. I think most companies just have one that is pretty much universal.

Btw I liked Bassani, just leak prone since its 100+ piece puzzle but makes it super adjustable. Moved on to ARH, still have my Bassani if you're nearby it's yours if you can get the O2 sensors out lol.

thanks, yeah that makes sense. even if the mounting point to the manifold is in the same location in space, each mfr may use different bends in the headpipe coming from the maifold to the x (or h), hence them having different part numbers. so i will probably stick with the tried and true catted bassani-x #46033! to me they sound great with borla stingers

01yellercobra

Established Member
The X pipe on my car has been on a 98 GT, 01 Cobra, and currently the 04. It was listed as made for a 98 GT. There was an extra bracket under the trans crossmember for the 96-98's. I cut it off once I went new edge.

boost88

Established Member
Is the trans crossmember different on the 98? I had a mac pipe sent to me for 99-04 and there was no way it was clearing the crossmember in my 97. Got a bassani for 96-98 cobra and fit better than stock.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

boost88

Established Member
thanks, yeah that makes sense. even if the mounting point to the manifold is in the same location in space, each mfr may use different bends in the headpipe coming from the maifold to the x (or h), hence them having different part numbers. so i will probably stick with the tried and true catted bassani-x #46033! to me they sound great with borla stingers
You cant go wrong with the fitment on bassani. No way I would have paid 400 bucks if I didnt have to but i had it on the car in 20 minutes. 100% leak free

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

94 Cobra R

Same Ol Same Ol
Established Member
Didn’t the OEM RH manifold to mid-pipe have a flange type fitting install of ball/socket style? (GT, not Cobra’s)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread