AP Steel rings

jony51999

Established Member
Anyone have experience with a rebuild using Diamond AP Steel rings?

I’m curious how long it took for them to seat. I’ve got my Aluminator rebuild going and wondering how long before rings are seated and I can dyno.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

03' White Snake

Established Member
I had them installed in my current build. Still working on finishing it up. I plan on following the L&M Racing startup sequence and throw her right onto the dyno after a few heat cycles/ burping and fresh oil. They say to seat the rings with cylinder pressure under load. So not to let it idle too long.

L&M Engines, Inc. - Engine Break-In Procedure

01yellercobra

Established Member
I'd break it in on the dyno. I ran Total Seal stainless rings in my last engine. I fired it up and warmed it up in the driveway. Made sure there were no leaks then drove it about a quarter mile to a main street. Then I proceeded to hit it with full boost. My tune was close from the previous set up. I hit it a couple times then changed the oil. It must've liked that because it sealed well enough to pull oil past the valve seals on deceleration from WOT. I learned not to use gapless rings after that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

01yellercobra

Established Member
I should add that I spoke with Total Seal and they said there's a 20 minute window to seat the rings. I don't know if it was just for the stainless rings or all rings. But basically after that 20 minutes the cylinders needed to be honed again.

jony51999

Established Member
I should add that I spoke with Total Seal and they said there's a 20 minute window to seat the rings. I don't know if it was just for the stainless rings or all rings. But basically after that 20 minutes the cylinders needed to be honed again.

Really only 20 minutes? That doesn’t even seem feasible unless you pretty much hit the key and have zero issues first time, then trailer to the dyno for tuning, which in my experience will result in more than 20 minutes of run time before you can make a full throttle pull.

I’ve read elsewhere about some ring seating powder total seal has, did they happen to mention that?

01yellercobra

Established Member
Really only 20 minutes? That doesn’t even seem feasible unless you pretty much hit the key and have zero issues first time, then trailer to the dyno for tuning, which in my experience will result in more than 20 minutes of run time before you can make a full throttle pull.

I’ve read elsewhere about some ring seating powder total seal has, did they happen to mention that?

That's why I was saying I don't know if it was just for the stainless rings I was running or all rings. I think moly rings have a little more of a window. Think about the guys running flat tappet cams. They have to let the engine run for 20-30 minutes at 2500rpm to break the cam in. I've heard about the powder or some kind of coating for the cylinders, but I never looked into it.

As badcobra said steel rings need load to seat correctly. I had a builder tell me to stay out boost for the first couple hundred miles and take it easy. That engine used oil and never ran right. Among other issues I had. I figure if it's going to blow it's going to blow. Doesn't matter if it's at 3 miles or 300.

gt347mustang

Established Member
In my experience stainless rings seal within seconds or minutes of the first start. Make sure everything's happy and throw it on the dyno asap.

Users who are viewing this thread