Anything I should look for before buying a5.0

SnakeEyes04

Established Member
I am looking at a kona blue 2011 5.0. 10k miles. It's at a local dealership.
Is there anything I should look for with Engine, Trans (is a 6MT), Etc.??
How can I tell if there are any 8 cyl issues?
From the pics I've seen, it's been lowered and has a cold air intake.
The sales person didn't know anything.

Thanks guys

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
CAI likely means it has no powertrain warranty. Too many stories of people popping number 8 and trading it in for me to consider such a car.

94_Vert

Established Member
spend 1.2k and get the extended warranty through ford that gives you 60k miles bumper to bumper, it only raised my payment by $20 I think.

94_Vert

Established Member
It will be throwing a code if 8 is misfiring. From what I have researched, the cyl 8 problem is greatly exaggerated.

94_Vert

Established Member
Thats not a good price, I got mine for 4k less and it had similar miles. And I feel like I could have done even better if I didnt trade something in at the same time. If they know your trading something in, they wont knock as much off. They'll make you think they're giving you more for your trade.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
I like the shaker hood, I miss my Mach 1, the shaker was cool as hell from behind the wheel.

I bet that car is solid as a rock. Offer them $23K see what the do. Oh and never purchase a car on the first trip to the dealership, make them sweat it out. I purchased my 5.0 on the last day of 2011. I left and came back the following day, they dropped the price of the car $4,000 and gave me $1,500 more for my trade. They were desperate to make a sale on December 31st.

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
That car has been in for brake noise twice and a concern of rough running with his aftermarket tune, may have been a Procal. Base warranty is still in effect.

nicksender

Established Member
Looks like a nice car; but they are way out on the price IMO. I have been looking at 2012 premiums for $25k-$26k in NE Ohio. If you want Black or Red, which I don't, they are all over the place in the Cleveland area.You could probably find a used 2013 GT for that price.

If they would do $23k-$24k and they will confirm the factory warranty is in effect it might be worth it to you. I would shop around if they won't move much at that price.

Good luck!

walked_u_hard

Established Member
the #8 was a tuning issue.

This is false.

It DOES happen on completely un modded cars. Cyl 8 does pop up from tuned cars more, its from a lack of fueling on decel at high RPM that will cause the ringland problems. it goes lean on decel, which raises cyl temps, and cyl 8 has the least cooling. Which is why these cars do not have strong engine braking, there is a timer set in place in the tune from ford until the car will cut fuel and start to engine brake.

Furthermore ive only seen this happen on manual cars, which supports the theory even more.

Last edited:

stanielz

Established Member
This is false.

It DOES happen on completely un modded cars. Cyl 8 does pop up from tuned cars more, its from a lack of fueling on decel at high RPM that will cause the ringland problems. it goes lean on decel, which raises cyl temps, and cyl 8 has the least cooling. Which is why these cars do not have strong engine braking, there is a timer set in place in the tune from ford until the car will cut fuel and start to engine brake.

Furthermore ive only seen this happen on manual cars, which supports the theory even more.

was there ever a fix for this? you kinda make it sound like all manuals are ticking time bombs regardless of modification.

turbosha

stirring the pot since'74
Established Member
20130105151932.jpg

id sell you mine for 29k.
check my signature.
only has 18kmiles

Users who are viewing this thread