Anyone with a recent MMR build success story?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emwun Garand

Established Member
Fox Lake has different options. I know Jake had them port his and he didn't pay anywhere near 3800

$2,295 for the basic S3 port
$559 for stainless steel Ferrea valves
$710 for Crower springs and titanium retainers

$3,564 + shipping

So maybe it was a little less than $3800, but pretty close. IMO, you get what you pay for.

Factor in $1,100 per head new from Tousley Ford, looking at about nearly $6000 for a set of new 9 thread heads ported with the good springs/retainers and valves. $1200 for the camshafts from Bullet Camshafts, $100 for the 4 ARP camshaft sprocket bolts, and a $400 new Timing Kit from Tousley.

$7,500 for heads and cams done right. :smmon:

I did make some of the money back selling the stock heads off my car, the stock valvetrain components from the new heads, etc, but not much.

TRBO VNM

$2,295 for the basic S3 port
$559 for stainless steel Ferrea valves
$710 for Crower springs and titanium retainers

$3,564 + shipping

So maybe it was a little less than $3800, but pretty close. IMO, you get what you pay for.

Factor in $1,100 per head new from Tousley Ford, looking at about nearly $6000 for a set of new 9 thread heads ported with the good springs/retainers and valves. $1200 for the camshafts from Bullet Camshafts, $100 for the 4 ARP camshaft sprocket bolts, and a $400 new Timing Kit from Tousley.

$7,500 for heads and cams done right. :smmon:

I did make some of the money back selling the stock heads off my car, the stock valvetrain components from the new heads, etc, but not much.

That is a lot more than port work for about that $3800.

Port work was $2300, not $3800. The actual $3600 included a lot more as you posted above. I just want to make sure people understand where the money goes.

It is like someone had posted that it cost him $800 for dyno tuning. Well, break it down and he paid $400 for an xcal3, so really the dyno tuning did not cost $800. People that don't understand need to see that break down to understand things. that is all I am saying so others searching or reading can see ok, he didn't pay just 3800 for the port because most people would never pay that. $1000 or 1500 less is a big difference.

I agree, you get what you pay for. Fox Lake isn't cheap, but they do amazing work. They did all the head work on my fox body when I had that. I knew the cost of head work when I did my cobra motor and opted not to drop the money right now.

Last edited:

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
We don't usually get involved in these type of threads but after reading some of the incorrect information we feel it is best to set the record straight.

Firstly, thank you to the customers that came in and put in a nice word for us, we appreciate it and your business. Thank you to the original poster for the order, but this brings us to the reason why we decided to post. I am not sure who your friend is but they are not telling you the truth or the whole story, the fact is MMR has NEVER had ANY engine returned for a second time, let alone 4 times as he/she claims, I personally approve any engine that ever comes in for any reason and can tell you that what he has told you is not true and would like to see MMR invoicing or documentation from MMR showing 4 warranty rebuilds, I can assure you, they do not exist. Which leads us and others that have posted why would you ever purchase an engine from us or anyone after hearing such a story, we assume you did not believe it either and this is why you still purchased from us. Dont get us wrong, we appreciate your business but like most that would be reading this, we are somewhat confused, but again can tell you first hand that what your "friend" told you is not true.

MMR is a family run business and has been from the beginning, we of course employ many others but treat our customers how we would like to be treated. We back EVERY engine 100% and that is why we are still in business today and most of our competitors have gone out of business. We have a A+ rating with the BBB and have 100% positive feeback on sites like ebay and others. Bottom line, we care and that is why we are still around.

Last year MMR shipped a combination of over 860 shortblocks and longblocks! In this business you will always hear of failures, motorsports is notorious for it. Google NASACAR ENGINE FAILURE for example, many would agree that these are some of the best engine builders in the world, the fact is failures can still happen and there are always 2 sides to a story, 99% of the engines that come back to MMR for any kind warranty consideration have melted pistons or have been run low or out of oil, even in these cases we help our customers. All being racers ourselves we understand things happen.

Bottom line, dont believe what you read on the internet (most have figured this out by now), do your own research and remember, there are always two sides to stories that you do read about. Have concerns about something, call us, we always answer our phones and are always willing to help!

M. Luton
President
Modular Motorsports Inc.

Last edited:

bizzmeister

Captain America
Established Member
And thats why Im having MMR build my engine. Family business and super knowledgable and nice people.Cant wait to get mine Mike! :beer:

-Arbi

HighPSI

Established Member
Hey Mark. I have complete faith man, your a stand up guy and it's been nothing but great dealing with your guys. I just can't wait until I get my motor back and let er rip!

Jerry03cobra

Established Member
I have the MMR 1500 long block with about 1100 miles no problems with it.My number's on it 903 HP 857 tq on 110 gas.

Last edited:

HighPSI

Established Member
Any of you have pics/vids of your car with the motor? I've tried looking all over the internet to find a video of a S/C cobra with a MMR build. All I can find are 2v's and turbo cars.

dark-knight

Established Member
Any of you have pics/vids of your car with the motor? I've tried looking all over the internet to find a video of a S/C cobra with a MMR build. All I can find are 2v's and turbo cars.

Heres my MMR 4.75 Shortblock pic:

386327_2392791100517_1273101043_32006606_1119783739_n.gif

i've sprayed 100 shot on my mach for the last 9 months on this block (400whp). I run my car ALOT :rockon: And tomorrow my ported Eaton swap will be complete so more power will be thrown at it and i have no worries about the block....just the transmission :bash:

Here's afew vids with the new block in the car, i know its not a supercharged cobra but figured it couldnt hurt. ill have vids with the blower soon.:

100 shot mach vs Bolt on 2012 5.0
DTR vs redline88.wmv - YouTube

sliding the mach around:
Just some fun in the Mach 1 - YouTube

DitkaOrGod

Established Member
Bought a 1000se mmr short block. I've got a 2.2kb and pushing around 585. I've had no problems whatsoever besides shipping dates not being as expected.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
good thread.

As for the guys taking and having Greg @ RET doing the work I'll be following along

A fresh motor is on the horizon for me.

Im really considering going with an MMR motor long block short block to be determined

Last edited:

turbocooker

Established Member
Bringing this thread back from the dead. I bought an mmr Stroker 950 over three years ago, ported 2v head by them with a 2.1 kb/custom inlet made 613. little over 33k miles on the short block making those numbers and zero problems. It's a daily driver also.

fr03cobra

Established Member
(To be 100% honest with you i bought a MMR short block about 2 years ago and right after buying it I had a horrible feeling when i started reading all the bad review about them. I took the short block to MPR just to have him check it out to make sure everything was good and he took one measurement and said the spacing was so close that it would not have lasted long. They even put in stock bearings on a motor they said is good to 1500hp. Just something to think about to keep you from having any issues. Allot of people have had great luck so maybe I was just one of the bad ones.)

I just hope i get better than this. fingers crossed.lol

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
(To be 100% honest with you i bought a MMR short block about 2 years ago and right after buying it I had a horrible feeling when i started reading all the bad review about them. I took the short block to MPR just to have him check it out to make sure everything was good and he took one measurement and said the spacing was so close that it would not have lasted long. They even put in stock bearings on a motor they said is good to 1500hp. Just something to think about to keep you from having any issues. Allot of people have had great luck so maybe I was just one of the bad ones.)

I just hope i get better than this. fingers crossed.lol

Threads like this are horribly deceptive, your engine didnt fail, in fact you never ran it! Someone who is in the business of selling engines and repairs (a competitor) told you that it MIGHT have failed and proceeded to charge you to "FIX" it. This is like taking a clean shirt to the dry cleaners - do you really think the dry cleaner is going to hand it back to you and say it doesnt need cleaning!! Its funny, you think you got screwed by MMR by someone who screwed you and charged you to fix something that wasnt broken. The bottom line is since the engine didnt fail, you and the person who "fixed" the brand new engine statements are 100% opinion - not fact. You also mention stock bearings, MMR HAS NEVER USED STOCK BEARINGS ON ANY ENGINE, our bearings are all CLEVITE Performance brand. LASTLY, engine builders ALL have a difference in opinion in regards to tolerances, ours are based off of real world racing and engine building stemming from nearly 2 decades of Modular engine building, our point, just because a engine builder tells you its different from their technique doesnt mean its wrong. But, what do we know, we only hold 3 records for the fastest modulars in the world. But to come on a public forum and say your engine was "a Bad one" without ever running it is not fair to us. You made the choice to get a second opinion, but that is all it is - an opinion.

Here is what customers that have actually run their MMR engines had to say:

MMR Modular Mustang Racing Feedback product reviews customers satisfaction negative positive

Last edited:

fr03cobra

Established Member
I was just asking about ported heads on a private message on here to another member and that what he said in message.

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
LOL, classic, so this isnt even your engine you are talking about??? Even better, second hand internet information about someone elses opinion........WOW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread