Anyone use Royal Purple?

trc46

Layer of Pipe
Established Member
So I started running 5W30 royal purple in my srt8 and can't seem to think that I can find the 5qt jug for cheaper than 37$. It's that price everywhere! Is there anywhere that has discounts or incentives?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
What do you mean it shears? Elaborate please.

It thins to a lighter grade. Both samples taken from the SVTP 5.0 car sheared from a 5W-30 to a 5W-20. Fuel dilution also wasn't and issue, and have sheared samples from other Coyote engines that are not from his car. This is NOT a quality of a top shelf true synthetic lubricant which demands $9.xx per quart.

Mystic03

Established Member
What mileage interval was this recorded on..also did it lose any of its actual integrity like risk in protection to parts?
It thins to a lighter grade. Both samples taken from the SVTP 5.0 car sheared from a 5W-30 to a 5W-20. Fuel dilution also wasn't and issue, and have sheared samples from other Coyote engines that are not from his car. This is NOT a quality of a top shelf true synthetic lubricant which demands $9.xx per quart.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member

Still flogging that horse I see. Nothing has changed.

The HPS is the absolute best bang for the buck synthetic oil in terms of actual performance and protection on the planet.

Lets see some back to back dyno testing or some engine tear downs... those shear assumptions and accusations from a few UOA are lame and getting old. Just saying. :(

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Sorry Jimmy, lab results do not lie. You've been trying to convince me HPS is top tier. Well, the additive package likely is. However, the base oil in the formulation, not so much. For the price of HPS, there are far better more stable choices. For less money I should add.

Last edited:

Mystic03

Established Member
For 5k imo i wouldnt question any oil having shearing issues especially hard driving conditions..a oil that retains the protection is definetly a big plus! Imo

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Our recommendation for the HPS series oils is 15,000 miles or one year which ever comes first. That includes plenty of trips to the track as well, if it is a primarily street use car.

The additives in an oil actually do most of the work, I think many people are getting way to caught up in the base oils, though premium synthetic base oils do bring some very important and unique advantages.

It is also my opinion that many are also over valuing the actual benefits and effective usefulness of used oil analysis. UOAs were created as a trending tool to monitor the condition of a particular engine or piece of equipment over time, and also to determine the condition of large quantities of oil in that device over a period of time. That of course is going to involve multiple UOAs in the same device so as to be able to observe changes which indicate the various different trends.

UOAs were not actually created to be the most effective testing method of comparing various oils from different companies, especially when they are used in different engines and devices, there are just way too may variables introduced for them to be truly effective when used in this way. Single UOA reports also simply can't show you any trends.

Are they very helpful? Yes.
Are they often misinterpreted? Yes.
Are they a complete waste of money? Possibly, if you are testing the oil of an engine/device that does not hold very many quarts of oil. UOAs add a significant cost to doing an oil change, we normally recommend only doing these when there is some reason or problem that we are trying to help nail down.

Anyone wishing to have their oil analysis report(of a Royal Purple oil) reviewed with them by us,(Royal Purple tech support) we would be happy to do that with you.
Just send me a copy of the report in an email attachment and include in the body of the email: the vehicle info, usage type, exactly which version and viscosity of our product that you used, how long it was used and how you prefer to be contacted. We are available for live conversations and tech support recommendations 8am to 5pm Monday through Friday, Central time, because we are right here in Texas.

My work email at Royal Purple tech support is [email protected].

Ruslow

Established Member
I have UOAs' done on my oils for condition of the component[motor rear axle etc] to help with change interval and look for upcoming issues.I worry way less about shearing of the oil IF the UOAs' stay the same for the same conditions.IF the shearing were a problem I would think the wear particals would go up.So in MY eyes whether it shears or not is not a concern if the uoa stays relative to miles.Stan

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
The additives in an oil actually do most of the work, I think many people are getting way to caught up in the base oils, though premium synthetic base oils do bring some very important and unique advantages.

Similar statements came from ExxonMobil in 2005 after their PAO facility was destroyed by hurricane Rita. Right before their switch to group III VISOM base oil. VISOM is their in house brand name of hydrocracked base oil. It was decided that most consumers were not taking full advantage of the oil change interval potential of their top tier formulations, so the change would go "unnoticed" in America. Rules here allowed for the change, while still using "Full Synthetic" on the bottle. However, not the same in Europe. Any lubricant using group III there were not allowed to advertise anything synthetic on the bottle. End results, prices remained the same, the formulation became cheaper to manufacturer. By 2008, ExxonMobil was reporting record earnings, despite current economic conditions at the time. 99.x% of the population were unaware of any change, thinking it was the same formulation they were using prior to 2006.

I have UOAs' done on my oils for condition of the component[motor rear axle etc] to help with change interval and look for upcoming issues.I worry way less about shearing of the oil IF the UOAs' stay the same for the same conditions.IF the shearing were a problem I would think the wear particals would go up.So in MY eyes whether it shears or not is not a concern if the uoa stays relative to miles.Stan

I think people miss the reasoning behind my focus on HPS shearing. A top tier base oil doesn't do that. HPS sells for a premium, and at that price point, should be a true PAO/Ester blend. However, results from HPS on a UOA, Royal Purple's lack of information on a specification sheet (primarily NOACK %), and statements from Jimmy like the one above yours, leads me to the conclusion that HPS is now using a group III (hydrocracked) base oil blended with Esters for increased profit potential. Sure, the additive are doing their job, but the formulation should not sell at near $9.00 a quart using group III or III+ base oils. I never said the formulation as a whole was not good. I'm simply pointing out that RP is following the footsteps of big oil companies. This change likely came at the same time they were acquired by Calumet Specialty Products Partners, as the timeline on these events are close.

Below is a quote from Calumet's website.

Calumet CalEster base stocks are available in a variety of viscosities for aviation, refrigeration, and industrial applications. Our Group V polyol esters offer excellent thermal stability, compatibility, and are biodegradable. Our CalEster products deliver value where traditional base stocks cannot. With our two pilot lines, we are able to custom design an ester for you! Our CalEster products can be blended with Calumet Group I-III mineral base stocks to enhance properties when higher performance is required.

Blending high end Esters or PAOs with group II and III base oils has been used for a long time. Amsoil does it with their XL series (III/IV), but they sell it at a fair market value due to decreased production cost.

I think I have one on my work bench, but not from the Mustang (it now has a new owner). So it won't be directly comparable.

Submit it anyway, we can begin a new trend. Thanks in advance ;)

Last edited:

dino lord

itching to build...
Established Member
I don't fully understand all of the technical stuff, but I won't touch anything RP except their gun oil.

Torn down too many mod motors with excessive valvetrain (usually cam journals) wear. Way too high of my tear downs for myself, friends, and customers have been with RP in them.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
The one I have left will be a one shot. The truck it came from is for sale.

I have one other one shot on 10w40 HPS out of the SVTP F-350 coming up too.

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
The one I have left will be a one shot. The truck it came from is for sale.

I have one other one shot on 10w40 HPS out of the SVTP F-350 coming up too.

what ever happened to this thread...? it was just getting good...I use HPS now as I gotta say i love the oil

Users who are viewing this thread