Anyone thought of removing their intercooler??

pwildbil

Established Member
I was talking to a mechanic today who said that a friend of his was a racer and took his intercooler off and said his car actually ran better...something to do with the blower not being able to heat up to a constant temp...just wanted to see if anyone has done this!!!

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
Please do not remove the intercooler. Your car will detonate itself to death if you remove the intercooler. This is especially true if you are running a pulley for increased boost. The bolwer itself, and the air being pushed through it need to be as cool as possible to work efficiently. :banana:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Sounds like another urban legend! PLEASE DO NOT do it! To me it is no different that someone saying remove the radiator for whatever lame reason. Heat is an enemy of this motor. What scares me is that someday someone is going to actually try it. And then try to get Ford to replace their blower/engine under warrantee. LOL!

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
pwildbil said:
I was talking to a mechanic today who said that a friend of his was a racer and took his intercooler off and said his car actually ran better...something to do with the blower not being able to heat up to a constant temp...just wanted to see if anyone has done this!!!

Was he a Jiffy lube mechanic?

The purpose of the intercooler is to keep the heat down. If you remove it there is no way for it to cool at all

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
I think what the mechanic meant to say a friend of his was a ricer not a racer......

pwildbil

Established Member
Funny!!!!

The guy I was talking to was a FORD mechanic

I had always heard from here that the cooler the better

But you never know...crazy things work sometimes so I thought I would ask if anyone ever tried!!!

dougwg

Established Member
well it is cold here.... hrmmmmm

might work.... but I wouldn't do it

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
pwildbil said:

Hey Bill, I got some swamp land I want to sell you cheap......
....Oh and this new lube with molybdenum in it, lets you run your car with out oil..... and the check is in the mail..... and up is down.... left is right...... and FORD MECHANICS are responsible for damaging more terminators than any other sector of the public.

There is one truth above, use your disgronificator and find it.

04Torchvert

Established Member
Uh no. Def would not work even if it was 40 below. The engine will heat up to operating temp and outside temp doesnt matter. If you let the blower heat up to engine temp you will detonate sooooo bad and it wouldn't matter what kind of CAI you had the eaton would be so hot it would change that intake temp instantly. Centrifigual Blowers, ok, don't need an intercooler because it is not attacted directly to the engine. I guarantee that will not work. And even if the computer adjusted for the increase in charge temp the ignition would be so retarded that you would lose major hp.

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
Well, if you figure the intercooler weight would be dropped, that would take weight off the nose and in an essence might make you faster for a few minutes?

Users who are viewing this thread