Anyone pushing 1000hp?

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
you tell me (his is the blue cobra) :beer:

[youtube_browser]3fDIMWgE5EM[/youtube_browser]
He bought this car from my buddy Mark in MN. He was making over 1000rwhp on a stock block with an 88mm way back in the day (2005) and the car was not a 'dyno queen'. It was actually a street race king that was also an 8 sec car at the track.

It's always the guys who don't have 1000 who dis the ones the who do, saying it's not necessary, its a dyno queen, its dumb etc. Take their opinion with a grain of salt, or simply ignore it. I choose to keep my 'dyno queen' a steet car exclusively because its my car and I can do what I want with it. I had a track car with a cage, loud exhaust and all that jazz back in the day and the car wasn't fun anymore. I don't want to do the same with my Cobra. If I was going to run it at the track I'd need a TH400, 12pt cage, window net, parachute, plus a truck and trailer to haul it there. No thanks, I'd rather just drive it and smash all the cars on the steet who think it can only run on a dyno lol.

MGC

Established Member
He bought this car from my buddy Mark in MN. He was making over 1000rwhp on a stock block with an 88mm way back in the day (2005) and the car was not a 'dyno queen'. It was actually a street race king that was also an 8 sec car at the track.

It's always the guys who don't have 1000 who dis the ones the who do, saying it's not necessary, its a dyno queen, its dumb etc. Take their opinion with a grain of salt, or simply ignore it. I choose to keep my 'dyno queen' a steet car exclusively because its my car and I can do what I want with it. I had a track car with a cage, loud exhaust and all that jazz back in the day and the car wasn't fun anymore. I don't want to do the same with my Cobra. If I was going to run it at the track I'd need a TH400, 12pt cage, window net, parachute, plus a truck and trailer to haul it there. No thanks, I'd rather just drive it and smash all the cars on the steet who think it can only run on a dyno lol.

Oh no kidding? I followed mark's car back in the day, wasn't aware this was the same car, thanks for the info. That was 1000 thru a TH400 or a glide right? BIG power on the stock long block. I hear ya, I'm on little 275 DR's and I can hook 800 on the street with a stick, fun to drive around and not all clapped out. :beer:

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
Oh no kidding? I followed mark's car back in the day, wasn't aware this was the same car, thanks for the info. That was 1000 thru a TH400 or a glide right? BIG power on the stock long block. I hear ya, I'm on little 275 DR's and I can hook 800 on the street with a stick, fun to drive around and not all clapped out. :beer:
I honestly cannot remember if it made that power through the auto or the stick. I think by that time, he had a 4r70w in it though. Mark was pretty funny though, he changed shit on a weekly basis so he was always moving forward. He has an '05 KB 4.0 Mammoth car now he bought from Evolution so I am anxious to see that out this summer.

MGC, I have to tell you I freakin LOVE your car man. I bought my THP kit way back in 2005, but if I didn't have twin 67's, I'd definitely be rolling with that big 88mm like you. Not sure if you have tried Hoosier 335's yet, but they are substantially better than the 275 M/T's for roll racing. Hope our t56's hold up for the summer...i'm not sure though lol.

90goldtsiawd

here 4 da laffs & cruelty
Established Member
This guy's Cobra has done alright on the stock long block... His sn on here is Trey. "Car has twin 67's, Th400 trans, and a 100% STOCK FORD FACTORY LONGBLOCK."

Turned the boost up on the cobra, new numbers - TrueStreetCars.com

[youtube_browser]VO4FDDAHO14[/youtube_browser]

[youtube_browser]Tn6tfiKz1yY[/youtube_browser]

34044d1344026947-turned-boost-up-cobra-new-numbers-dyno-graph.jpg

Last edited:

MGC

Established Member
I honestly cannot remember if it made that power through the auto or the stick. I think by that time, he had a 4r70w in it though. Mark was pretty funny though, he changed shit on a weekly basis so he was always moving forward. He has an '05 KB 4.0 Mammoth car now he bought from Evolution so I am anxious to see that out this summer.

MGC, I have to tell you I freakin LOVE your car man. I bought my THP kit way back in 2005, but if I didn't have twin 67's, I'd definitely be rolling with that big 88mm like you. Not sure if you have tried Hoosier 335's yet, but they are substantially better than the 275 M/T's for roll racing. Hope our t56's hold up for the summer...i'm not sure though lol.

Thank you buddy, your car is sick too! I had 17" rims with a 335 but switched to a 15" rim and 275's (28" tall tire) and it works a little better with the sidewall and taller diameter, now if I could get it little wider with the added sidewall it would probably hook on my race gas tune :rockon: :burnout:

The 88 is a monster once it gets spooled up I'm still on 3.73 gears but I'm going to change those out to 3.27's to make it spool a little harder, if the T56 breaks I'll go to a auto, it's already built up so I hope it'll take the power for awhile longer.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Some nice big HP cars. Also remember a blower car has the additional work and stress of turning over the blower. So 800 whp blower car is probably stressing the block just as hard as a 1000 whp turbo car. I don't know the exact ratio but you get what I'm saying.

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
Love Trey's car, been a long time since I've seen him on here. The stock longblock 1000HP stuff is quite impressive. I blew mine up long ago squirting a 200 shot on top of the ported Eaton so staying stock was not going to work for me. It was like a go big or go home thing at that point. Since then I've broken a lot of other shit, but I think we finally have all the issues worked out so the car stays together. Back to just a 'stock' .020" over teksid, stock crank and rods, with custom JE pistons. Stock '99 cams, ported heads, ported Sullivan intake etc. Just put some 160lb injectors in and will probably turn the boost up and see what it does at 30lbs. Every lb of boost looks like about 35HP or so uncorrected viewing the dyno sheets, so we should be able to approach 1200, and I think more when the car is back to sea level in a couple weeks. The car will be street driven all summer. When the sun is out, the badcobra will be out. 'knocks on wood'.

younggun04

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Its not easy to make a 1000hp on a ls motor. People act like it is but it isn't. To make big power that last will take a lot of $$$ no matter what brand motor you are building.

that is not true, My good buddy made 1160 RWHP on a stock 6.0 block/heads/crank and good pistions/rods. Lived for over 250 passes at the strip and tons of street use. then he sold it to another guy and he has been running it on the street for the last year with no issues.

Video
The Cream Dream @ P2P 2011 - YouTube

Isn't there are guy on mod ford making over 1000rwhp on a reman factory replacement for like 3 years? thats pretty impressive.

Last edited:

myslowstang

Established Member
I think there was a cobra making just under 1000rwhp in a dyno competition at JCP. If I remember right he had a fully built 5.3 stroker with a huge Whipple on top running E85. It was also one of the nicest and cleanest cobras I've seen.

Users who are viewing this thread