Anyone pushing 1000hp?

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
I know someone is. I got the new issue of Car Craft and was disgusted to see the cover article say "Easiest 1000 HP Ever!" I read it, hoping it was a Cobra/GT500, but expecting an LS. Sure enough it was an LS. I'm curious as to how it is so easy when it uses an aftermarket block, aftermarket rotating assembly, and heavily ported heads. I know there are some Cobra owners out there making this much power with the stock shortblock. Please send your car in and show them that we have been making that much power for years now.

ctgreddy

Established Member
You're not gonna find any 1000whp stock shortblock cobras man. All the hype that came with that compound boost hellion kit that made 1000+ on stock everything was only done for dyno numbers, It wouldn't hold up to that level. That said, it's just normal for an ls to make more power easier than a ford motor, based on the sheer help in more displacement.

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
I wouldn't get all bent over what Car Craft has to say. There are likely hundreds of guys making a 1000+ on a mod motor 03/04 Cobra, and most are using an OEM block, heads, crank, and rods. The LS stuff is quite crazy now with the these guys stuffing them into Mustangs, slapping a big turbo on and no intercooler running e85. Certainly cheaper and less complicated than building up a mod motor + turbo to make 1000+. I personally am just not a GM guy, so I can say with 100% certainty that I will never do it.

jrichber

browser
Established Member
Did see a GT-500 at the mustang rally last year that had 1037hp to the wheels on race fuel and like 980ish on E85. Who knows how much money went into it though.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
C666 (fast kris) makes 1004whp on a stock motor.

Is that "made" or "makes"? Difference is guys who make a pull on the dyno for bragging rights and the guys who run that all the time pounding on it and having fun. I can't imagine a stock motor making over 1000 whp is going to last very long unless driven out of boost all the time.

testorossa1989

Established Member
There was a list conducted in the turbo section months ago and the outcome was something in the ball park of 6 members with 1200+, and on average 20-30 in the region of 900-1k in a matter of a week and wasnt updated often so they are out there. I know most guys pushing that much keep low profiles and/or belong to racing teams. So you wont hear from many of them on the community but to answer your question YES theyre plenty of guys out there with 1k+

Its still all about having fun though, dont lose track of that

Last edited:

702lightning

Sck Snake
Established Member
Fast kris makes that power and that car has gone deep 8's still on the stock short block also another car on mod fords has gone 8's still using the stock shortblock. The cars are out there. Just not on svtp much

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
Well the article was on race gas and just an engine dyno. Surely the guys making into the 800s are at that level, and have been for a while, with less cubes. This was a bored out LSX at 390 inches.

itSSlow98

Established Member
From my research it doesn't seem the turbo setups are as popular with the mod motor guys for some reason. The turbo is to lsx cars what the whipple/kb are to 03 cobras. Bottom line is turbos have a lot more hp potential and make for a lot more street able car at big hp. Also don't be mistaken, an iron block ls variant lq4/9 blocks that can be bought for $100 bucks will hold 1000hp all day long. No rhs or erl blocks are needed.

Lights of Speed

can i has 9's?
Established Member
I know someone is. I got the new issue of Car Craft and was disgusted to see the cover article say "Easiest 1000 HP Ever!" I read it, hoping it was a Cobra/GT500, but expecting an LS. Sure enough it was an LS. I'm curious as to how it is so easy when it uses an aftermarket block, aftermarket rotating assembly, and heavily ported heads. I know there are some Cobra owners out there making this much power with the stock shortblock. Please send your car in and show them that we have been making that much power for years now.

Its not easy to make a 1000hp on a ls motor. People act like it is but it isn't. To make big power that last will take a lot of $$$ no matter what brand motor you are building.

suby_do

Established Member
WV_Snake on mod fords has a mid 8sec cobra with the original long block. He runs the piss out of it at the track. I'm sure that car makes 1k+ at the flywheel.

MGC

Established Member
Is that "made" or "makes"? Difference is guys who make a pull on the dyno for bragging rights and the guys who run that all the time pounding on it and having fun. I can't imagine a stock motor making over 1000 whp is going to last very long unless driven out of boost all the time.

you tell me (his is the blue cobra) :beer:

[youtube_browser]3fDIMWgE5EM[/youtube_browser]

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Its not easy to make a 1000hp on a ls motor. People act like it is but it isn't. To make big power that last will take a lot of $$$ no matter what brand motor you are building.

That lasts is key here. Lots of locals here are putting 5.3 ls truck motors in cars with a 78 mm turbo and E85 pushing 750+ whp. They all brag about how cheap and easy it is but they are on borrowed time and only last a few k miles.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
There are likely hundreds of guys making a 1000+ on a mod motor 03/04 Cobra, and most are using an OEM block, heads, crank, and rods. .
100's? I'd say that's a VERY Generous estimate:) There's a single turbo 03 in my area putting down 930 with a stock longblock:coolman:

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Fast kris makes that power and that car has gone deep 8's still on the stock short block also ANOTHER CAR on mod fords has gone 8's still using the stock shortblock. The cars are out there. Just not on svtp much

The other car is Harolds, he won the shootout last week, his is supercharged though not turbo:rockon:

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
HP numbers are for nothing but bragging rights really. A car puts down what it puts down. If it runs what you want in the quarter and is as quick as you want it to be, who cares if it has 350 or 900 hp. The reality of it is anyone touting that they own a 1000hp stock short block car is a dyno queen.

Users who are viewing this thread