Anyone know what a show room quality repaint really costs?

Blkblk13car

Established Member
My 2013 has been my daily driver in SFL for years and I bought it for a steal from someone who also daily drove it til he sold it to me.

Car is perfect everywhere but my exterior paint. I have sings, a keying mark, and probably the deepest swirls.

I gave the car a good paint correction and after the m205 it looked pretty good… but there are dings and dents and tons of ships where there’s primer exposed. My hood also has aluminum corrosion bub so that’s gotta get redone.

Now that I’m starting my career and have a garage (I parked outside prior to this) I will have a DD to beat on and the Shelby will be weekends or fair weather Only, what will a showroom quality paint job go for realistically? I will basically never sell the car so I really wouldn’t be too worried about that aspect. I just know I’ll need to redo the strips and the hood anyway since the corrosion is getting worse.

stang910

Established Member
Depends on how nice you really want it and who you get to do it. For a good quality job I'd charge around $12k-$15k depending on how much repair is needed. At this price the car would be stripped down and the glass removed. Jambs would be sprayed with the car so there would be no tape lines.

Prices will be all over the place from shop to shop so you have to figure out what your being charged for. For example there's a shop in my area that charged $20k to do a custom paint job and they didn't remove the glass and they painted parts on the car so there was paint overspray and lines in the jambs. They also didn't remove any paint debris when finished. For the same $20K another shop would have disassembled the car and cleaned the paint up when finished.

I would say whatever your budget is to shop around and make sure your getting the most out of your money.

ToddW702

Established Member
I just got quoted 25k that was to remove glass and to do trunk area and engine bay. I would have to remove the engine though. So it seems like the above quote is pretty accurate across the board. Just make sure you do research on the place you choose. I’m the price they quoted me was also for full cut and buff, they said it would be zero orange peel.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Bullitt1448

Established Member
I was quoted 20K for a complete colour change and that is with me stripping the car, including glass. also includes repairing some parking lot dings and a couple of small body mods.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I'd say the original quote of $12-15k from above is pretty accurate. As long as it's staying the same color and doesn't require a lot of extra labor.

Blkblk13car

Established Member
This is exactly what I was looking for thank you everyone! im going to start shopping around, I’m staying with same color (black) but I may just have total disassembly anyway. also would be a great time to go from flat black stripes to a pastel grey I’ve seen on the newer 350s And painted in.

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
Honestly, you’ll be better long term to find a perfect ‘13-14 and then keep that one forever.
It’s not what you probably want to hear but that’s my advice.
-J

I second this! You will spend less selling yours and buying a mint 10k mile car then repaint and rebuilding once the mechanicals aren’t up to the paint quality.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Blkblk13car

Established Member
Honestly, you’ll be better long term to find a perfect ‘13-14 and then keep that one forever.
It’s not what you probably want to hear but that’s my advice.
-J
Yeah I def agree I’m just worried these are going to keep skyrocketing. I paid less than half what the dealer offered the other day while it was in for a service and that shocked me.

think I actually like the idea of getting one that’s showroom low miles for special days and driving my current one whenever without worry. My current ones still under warranty and is basically mechanically new save the tranny (which I do want to have carbon syncros and rebuild done by Calimer if he’s still doin em.
would be pretty good to cruise to a show with my wife in one and me in the other (she’s driven it before).

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
So you're considering just buying another more perfect '13-'14 for the shorter drives and keep the original one for continued driving. Not a bad idea if you can fund it.

If you're considering a possible replacement, it won't hurt to shop around for a newer one to replace it. You already have a price from your dealer, and you know what it will cost (approximate) to repaint it. You might just find a perfect '13-'14 (different color?) at a good price and make out good financially. Or, you could just go with your current thought of adding a "new" one to your stable.

Blkblk13car

Established Member
So you're considering just buying another more perfect '13-'14 for the shorter drives and keep the original one for continued driving. Not a bad idea if you can fund it.

If you're considering a possible replacement, it won't hurt to shop around for a newer one to replace it. You already have a price from your dealer, and you know what it will cost (approximate) to repaint it. You might just find a perfect '13-'14 (different color?) at a good price and make out good financially. Or, you could just go with your current thought of adding a "new" one to your stable
yeah honestly I’m about to have no payment on it so really would make sense and be a nice bonus of my wife being in the club. Shes the one who’s been Shelby obsessed since she was a kid anyway!

Blkblk13car

Established Member
Got any recent photos of the car? Also how many miles does it have currently?
I’m currently at 88xxx and I started really working under the hood recently- locating a complete bolt replacement and new reservoirs. really want a spotless oem look.

pics are too big if anyone knows how to do that lol

LS WUT

Established Member
When you select the image and it says normal size. Reduce it to large. 88k miles is pretty sporty. I’m sure it’s been a fun 88k miles. I agree with most on here. Unsure what you paid for the car. However for a complete restore it’s gonna be around the ballpark of $15k-$20k spending on shop, paint price, etc. Even if you paid $40k or a little more. Would you pay half of what you paid for the car to restore the paint, or would you toss another $20-25k and maybe find a lower mileage one. I’ve seen a few 8k mile ones near me. I live in Sarasota. A black one, and a red one for about $54k or so. I’m sure they’re negotiable. Just food for thought.

Blkblk13car

Established Member
When you select the image and it says normal size. Reduce it to large. 88k miles is pretty sporty. I’m sure it’s been a fun 88k miles. I agree with most on here. Unsure what you paid for the car. However for a complete restore it’s gonna be around the ballpark of $15k-$20k spending on shop, paint price, etc. Even if you paid $40k or a little more. Would you pay half of what you paid for the car to restore the paint, or would you toss another $20-25k and maybe find a lower mileage one. I’ve seen a few 8k mile ones near me. I live in Sarasota. A black one, and a red one for about $54k or so. I’m sure they’re negotiable. Just food for thought.
Honestly I lucked out I picked up up with 30k or so and have been daily driving ever since. Loving it! May just be the play to get another one since i will lose my all weather shelby if I do restore

Blkblk13car

Established Member
1587C3D0-3B68-4187-8E4B-037AD15CA036.jpeg

Attachments

• 350C6F97-1E24-4157-9865-F63969A752A2.jpeg
    350C6F97-1E24-4157-9865-F63969A752A2.jpeg
    400.2 KB · Views: 68

Bullitt1448

Established Member
It depends what you want, I have spent far more on mine modding and upgrading than what it would cost to replace it with something newer/better/faster but I have had this one 20ish years and I know every bolt in it. No way I am ever giving it up. This is my toy to play with. If you look at it from strictly a financial point of view, you are way father ahead selling it and getting something else.

Users who are viewing this thread