Anyone having a hard time getting a job?

spike_africa

Established Member
The two offers i got were both low 20K thats not worth my time or gas to drive to those jobs plus they were not close to my home at all. I know I'm going to have to get a entry level job I guess like i said i wasn't prepared for how long its going to take. I just wish i was working now.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
I read somewhere that the average time it takes to land a job out of college is 9 months.

Really??! I must lead a pretty sheltered life. I'm graduating Mechanical Engineering, and everyone I know who has graduated or will this summer has a good job already, with multiple offers to chose from...My BF signed two months before he walked the stage, and it's pretty much a "dream" job. I slacked a bit, and I missed the spring career fair due to class conflicts, but I have an interview this afternoon with a good company exactly where I need to end up.

JDStud6

Established Member
The two offers i got were both low 20K thats not worth my time or gas to drive to those jobs plus they were not close to my home at all. I know I'm going to have to get a entry level job I guess like i said i wasn't prepared for how long its going to take. I just wish i was working now.

How much are you looking to get?

JD

Adower

Established Member
Really??! I must lead a pretty sheltered life. I'm graduating Mechanical Engineering, and everyone I know who has graduated or will this summer has a good job already, with multiple offers to chose from...My BF signed two months before he walked the stage, and it's pretty much a "dream" job. I slacked a bit, and I missed the spring career fair due to class conflicts, but I have an interview this afternoon with a good company exactly where I need to end up.

It may just be luck of the draw. However, my good friends girlfriend got her civil engineering degree from UCDavis. She did an internship and the whole nine yards. She waited roughly 7 months before she was offered a job.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
I read somewhere that the average time it takes to land a job out of college is 9 months.

That would really depend on your degree. Nurses (BSN's) are hired immediately with great pay and signing bonuses. So are pharmacists. So are OT's and PT's.

If your undergrad degree is a non specific liberal arts degree, you will be searching for a while. If your degree is in a field that is downsizing here, like IT and Computer Programming, the market is definitely tough.

Any undergrad degree that you need a license to practice/perform is going to be valued and more in demand.

Users who are viewing this thread