Anyone having a hard time getting a job?

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
no. I got let go in Dec and am still looking for a job. notice I said job not career. Sometimes you just have to settle temporarily to get through tough times.

No college degree though, but 7-8 years in my field. But all employeers are notching up and running everything a lot more conservativley due to the economy.. the only problem is by running everything like this, they're hurting more than helping, 'cause one variable inevitibly affects everythingelse.

There is no such thing as a career anymore. you may work in one field for a "career" but the chances of it being with one company are slim to none. and slim in packing for vacation.

Companies interview and hire employees with the thought they will be gone in 5 years or less. They don't believe in lifetime employees and, for the most part, I think they don't want them around that long. Most people will jump ship in a heartbeat for more money so you really can't blame them too much.

JasonSnake

Established Member
Yeah I can't crap either but that's because I don't have much on my resume to qualify me for anything (no bachelors degree).

I was working for the county for a short time doing office support until they were having budget cuts and I was on the chopping block. Instead of laying me off they sent me to a library position that was too far from home for my taste. I quit on good terms but I wouldn't mind getting back in the gov't again when I get a real degree.

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
Before you complain about it taking too long remember that the rule of thumb is 1 month of searching for every 10K in income.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
I graduated just over 2 weeks ago and for the last month have been sending out resumes etc... a

thats your problem right there. No one hires college grads now. They hire them during the winter. You waited until the absolute last minute, and now you're gonna struggle.

sorry its your own fault.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Before you complain about it taking too long remember that the rule of thumb is 1 month of searching for every 10K in income.

Whose rule of thumb is that. $10K/year is less than $5/hr. That should take a month to find?

I just dont see how that corollary would work.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Meh. I found my new job in 2 days Applied online on Monday and had a call from the Recruiter on Wed. Had it locked up pending drug results by Friday.

musclefan21

Established Member
dude don't just send your resume out and wait till they call you. Bug them untill they set up and interview with you. keep calling them. that will tell them that you are very interested.

spike_africa

Established Member
thats your problem right there. No one hires college grads now. They hire them during the winter. You waited until the absolute last minute, and now you're gonna struggle.

sorry its your own fault.

Fail, I have been going to career fairs and trying to make connections since fall semester, but most companies were looking for people who were graduating then not in the spring. I went to all the career fairs etc... during the spring passing out resumes doing some interviews and what not. So its not like i waited till the last minute.

One problem I have is i cant move, I have a house already and a g/f who has around a year or so to go so Im not going anywhere. Plus its not like Orlando isnt loaded with corporations. Im just realizing how hard it is to get your foot in the door i guess.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Fail, I have been going to career fairs and trying to make connections since fall semester, but most companies were looking for people who were graduating then not in the spring. I went to all the career fairs etc... during the spring passing out resumes doing some interviews and what not. So its not like i waited till the last minute.

One problem I have is i cant move, I have a house already and a g/f who has around a year or so to go so Im not going anywhere. Plus its not like Orlando isnt loaded with corporations. Im just realizing how hard it is to get your foot in the door i guess.

One thing too is that UCF and VCC and SCC are pumping out people with degree's that will work for pennies an hour.

epix

Established Member
I found a job about 1 month before I graduated, pay wasn't the greatest but just having a degree alone doesn't open all the doors, gotta get some experience too.

My degree is Biomedical Science and associates in Chemistry.

JonC

Established Member
I graduated in Dec of 05 with a B.S. in Computer Science and got hired about a month later for a help desk position.. Crap pay only 40k but it got my foot in the door. Timing/type of degree/company need/ are all huge factors especially for new grads. Keep flooding your resume out there you will land something eventually.

Good Luck

SpectorV

Established Member
generally right after you get out of school you will have to take a crappy paying job~ to earn some experience as college only gives you the tools you have to actually use them to gain experience to do job well.

After a couple of years with bad pay and working where you may not want to you can move up to a better job. When I was looking for a software engineering position every job I applied for was 0-2 years of experience... when I went in for an interview it was basically 2 years experience needed...

I am not sure if its the same in your case but in mine having a masters and no experience is even worse than having a bachelors and no experience, you are pricing yourself out of the market.

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
The best advice I can give you is to send out your resume to anyone and everyone who will take it. Make it short and simple, and follow up with them.

I graduated May of 07, flooded the market, did 10+ face to face interviews before taking the job I'm at now. I didn't even apply for this position and they didnt' have and opening, but they worked with me until one opened up. Basically gave me time to learn the industry and get some experience noone else in my area has before starting here.

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
Whose rule of thumb is that. $10K/year is less than $5/hr. That should take a month to find?

I just dont see how that corollary would work.

I was a little vague. I should have said that it takes 1 month of searching for every 10K in annual income. So for 50K in annual earnings it would take around 5 months of searching before you find something you feel good about.

Adower

Established Member
I read somewhere that the average time it takes to land a job out of college is 9 months.

Users who are viewing this thread