Anyone having a hard time getting a job?

spike_africa

Established Member
I graduated just over 2 weeks ago and for the last month have been sending out resumes etc... all over central Florida. And I have only had two offers both were shit and were very far from my house. Is anyone else having a really tuff time finding a good job right now or is it just me. I got great grades in college and have past work experience and just am having the worse time getting hired. Its very frustrating when you have the will to work hard and do the job and instead Im at home still looking and applying for jobs.

Don Juan

Established Member
The economy is in the shittier, it took my wife 2 months to find a job back when she was job hunting, you are not the only one.

spike_africa

Established Member
What kind of degree did you get?

Business Management and a minor in Real estate which is useless right now lol. I mean its ridiculous at this point, it just pisses me off that I cant get a damn good offer. I think i might just grab a bullshit part time job and get my Masters at this point if this continues any longer.

rudyyr

Established Member
My first job out of college was a telemarketing job, which sucked! But I was making money so that was good. From there..I got into a better staff position with the same company due to my degree, which made it easier to find a better job with better pay. So, I guess I would say I wasn't that lucky getting a great paying job right outta college like I expected. But the small amount of experience I garnered working at that company made it easier to talk about my experience during interviews. I get paid very well now.. Good Luck man, keep a good attitude and keep on looking.. It took me 4 months to get a job, a shitty one at that but little money is better than no money.

Last edited:

Longhornd00d

I Roll With My Kitties
Established Member
I think i might just grab a bullshit part time job and get my Masters at this point if this continues any longer.

I think this is the route I'm taking when I finish with my undergrad degree since the competitiveness of the job market is strong.

94five0

*Click*
Established Member
no. I got let go in Dec and am still looking for a job. notice I said job not career. Sometimes you just have to settle temporarily to get through tough times.

No college degree though, but 7-8 years in my field. But all employeers are notching up and running everything a lot more conservativley due to the economy.. the only problem is by running everything like this, they're hurting more than helping, 'cause one variable inevitibly affects everythingelse.

INFAMOU$

The Infamous Project
Established Member
I would just keep going on and get your Masters... It will get you above the pool of those with only Bachelors degrees all fighting for the same work like me :)... Seriously thinking about going to Australia and getting my Masters.. 8 months in and out.. $15k + living of course.. but good experience and the piece of paper will help for sure!

ElGato

There is no cure
Established Member
If you can't find a job in 6 months, then you can complain. Only on SVTP does someone find the "perfect" job in one month out of school.

JDStud6

Established Member
If you can't find a job in 6 months, then you can complain. Only on SVTP does someone find the "perfect" job in one month out of school.

+1

After college I stayed where I was working at the time and decided to do that for 6 months before I started looking for a job. Once I began looking it was a exciting/stressful time but I wasnt that stressed about it because I was working so it wasnt a big deal. It took me several phone interviews and a few face-to-face interviews before I got an offer. I was happy about it and did some negotiating and was in. I think I did pretty well and had some fun with it.

JD

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
Are you willing to relocate, or are you only looking locally? If you limit yourself geographically, it's going to take longer to find a job.

Does your school offer any kind of career placement service? If so, have you been taking advantage of it?

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
It took me two years out of college to land a job that acually corresponded to what I went to college for. Before that, I did mostly tech-support. I have a Computer Science background. I also went to college as a working adult. Before that, I was in State Corrections, but got tired of the inside politics.

moddestmike

2 Degrees/Still Confused
Established Member
The real question is what type of work experience/history do you have? Not trying to be an asshole but Business Management grads are a dime a dozen. You need to find a way to distinguish yourself.

Last edited:

swoosh_stang

I'm not evil, Trust Me
Established Member
Jesus dude, just be happy you've gotten offers. There are alot of people out there without jobs.

Take the better offer of the two, but keep looking passively.

motoman991

Banned
It was relatively easy for me to get my job which is only like 10 minutes from home. I work in manufacturing engineering. I also don't have to worry about a recession hurting us since I work at a plant that manufactures fuses for aim-9x, excalibur, GMLRS just to name a few. The war equals job security.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
The economy is in the shittier, it took my wife 2 months to find a job back when she was job hunting, you are not the only one.

Even in a shitty economy, companies are hiring. If you make yourself a standout candidate and are actually qualified for the position you are applying for, there are jobs.

Job market is total shit because of the economy.

Not for those highly qualified.

The real question is what type of work experience/history do you have? Not trying to be an asshole but Business Management grads are a dime a dozen. You need to find a way to distinguish yourself.

100% Agreed. I have friends that get unsolicited offers from "head hunters" all the time.

Jesus dude, just be happy you've gotten offers. There are alot of people out there without jobs.

Not really.

Take the better offer of the two, but keep looking passively.

Always keep your job until you have another job, unless you have "F You" money.

Users who are viewing this thread