Anyone Gone Paxton to Turbo? Or Turbo to Paxton?

NXSVTCOBRA

I have a 12 A6 GT car and the time has come to add a power adder. I'm just in the air between the two (Paxton or on3). I have always built turbo cars (Aside from my whipple terminator) and just want some real world opinions. I don't care to run the EDP, CPR, Hellion or JPC kit. Nothing to take away from them, this is a daily driven car that will never go near the HP potential that those kits offer; this is my STREET car not my STREETABLE race car. My goal is 9.80-9.99's or so with my coyote car. Just want some opinion from those who's went from one to the other. I've been idle about two months on which direction to go. As of now the car is completely stock aside from mild tuning that I've done, complete suspension, and exhaust.

A side note, I am an individual capable of doing most anything financially and physically with fabrication skills available, tools, lift, etc. I don't care if the on3 requires fabrication so let's save that.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I went Paxton to on3. Just finished the install and hope to fire it this weekend.

I'm a turbo guy through and through but wanted to try something new and originally went Paxton.

Had great power but power was inconsistent due to the belt slip issues I fought. I finally got it sorted out and was running like a bat out of hell and then sold it.

I expect the twins to be even better.

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
Wow! gimmie11's I didn't realise you were switching already. Didn't you just get the Paxton about 6 months ago?

OP a 9.80 daily driver is a tall order. It can be done, but it's not cheap. I consider my car a 9sec DD, even though its either sits in the garage or its cruising to the track!

IMO I'd go with a better quality turbo then an on3 or go VMP TVS. Keep money in your budget for a fuel system & E85. Keep in mind a turbo needs a transbrake & converter, and there's a lot of threads popping up about burnt clutches from those. I'm running 9.80's in 2000 DA with a stock converter, Gen 1 Roush TVS on 18" DR's. I'll be shooting for 9.50's on Pro's come fall...

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Wow! gimmie11's I didn't realise you were switching already. Didn't you just get the Paxton about 6 months ago?

OP a 9.80 daily driver is a tall order. It can be done, but it's not cheap. I consider my car a 9sec DD, even though its either sits in the garage or its cruising to the track!

IMO I'd go with a better quality turbo then an on3 or go VMP TVS. Keep money in your budget for a fuel system & E85. Keep in mind a turbo needs a transbrake & converter, and there's a lot of threads popping up about burnt clutches from those. I'm running 9.80's in 2000 DA with a stock converter, Gen 1 Roush TVS on 18" DR's. I'll be shooting for 9.50's on Pro's come fall...

Yeaup. Installed the Paxton in January. After living with turbos for so long the power delivery of the Paxton was a little boring. Fast for sure... but boring.

When I originally decided to go blower the price of a TVS kept me away. Your setup is dialed in and absolutely kicks ass.

The on3 setup is a kick ass kit for the money. Even if you upgraded turbos and wastegates (I upgraded wastegates but will run the stock turbos until they quit) you would still have the tuner kit for the same or less than a TVS tuner and WAY cheaper than any other turbo kit out there. You'd be in it for about $5700. Like everything else, you'd have to add a tune and fuel.

Considering all that... on3 is REAL tough to beat.

NXSVTCOBRA

I went Paxton to on3. Just finished the install and hope to fire it this weekend.

I'm a turbo guy through and through but wanted to try something new and originally went Paxton.

Had great power but power was inconsistent due to the belt slip issues I fought. I finally got it sorted out and was running like a bat out of hell and then sold it.

I expect the twins to be even better.

What did you do to get the belt slip sorted out?

NXSVTCOBRA

9.80 is not really a tall order for a coyote powered car with either power adder I've listed, full suspension, et streets and I'd consider myself an experienced racer. Cheap: relevant term and can have different meaning for different individuals. I'm not a roots blower person. I learned that with my cobra. I'm balancing between the Paxton and on3. Fuel system and converter are obvious changes that will be made during the installation.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
What did you do to get the belt slip sorted out?

Gears. My car is a brembo/3.73 car and the gears coupled with the 6 rib belt was a bad combo. The 3.73s and MT82s gearing make for a car that revs extremely fast.... bitchin for N/A but not ideal when belt traction is critical.

I dropped to 3.27s which allowed the motor to rev a bit slower letting the blower pulley keep pace with the rest of the engine.

The correct belt is also critical. I ended up running the 99.4" belt (forgot the part number) with the 3.33 pulley and a home made torque booster. Car absolutely hauled ass.

If I did a Paxton again, it would absolutely be 8 rib and nothing less. 8 rib and some tall freeway gears will make for a FAST Paxton car.

Either that or I'd go Vortec v3 and stay 6 rib and a small pulley. The smaller compressor on the v3 is easier to spin leading to fewer issues with belt slip-- the trade off is the v3 maxes out around 750-800 whp.

Last edited:

NXSVTCOBRA

Gears. My car is a brembo/3.73 car and the gears coupled with the 6 rib belt was a bad combo. The 3.73s and MT82s gearing make for a car that revs extremely fast.... bitchin for N/A but not ideal when belt traction is critical.

I dropped to 3.27s which allowed the motor to rev a bit slower letting the blower pulley keep pace with the rest of the engine.

The correct belt is also critical. I ended up running the 99.4" belt (forgot the part number) with the 3.33 pulley and a home made torque booster. Car absolutely hauled ass.

If I did a Paxton again, it would absolutely be 8 rib and nothing less. 8 rib and some tall freeway gears will make for a FAST Paxton car.

Either that or I'd go Vortec v3 and stay 6 rib and a small pulley. The smaller compressor on the v3 is easier to spin leading to fewer issues with belt slip-- the trade off is the v3 maxes out around 750-800 whp.

Thanks for your reply. My car has a 6R80 with 3.15s. I've looked at the v3's also and went back to the Paxton.

LowNSlowNeon

Established Member
We have a couple in the 9s with e85 and a BAP. It is not recommened but it does work.

A fuel system would be ideal.

My car is running E85 with a JMS BAP for a few thousand miles now.

No issues, my 1048 @ 132 was in almost 2000 DA. Hoping this winter to data log it at the track more and get it to the 10.00 mark. Not sure if it'll be doable on the 8 psi though.

Users who are viewing this thread