Anyone ever use Invisalign?

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
I had braces 30+ years ago and it seems that over the years my teeth have shifted a little, nothing horrible but just enough that my bottom K-9's will bite the inside of my lip occasionally while eating. So really it's not a looks issue but more of a functionality fix for me.

I had an appointment with the orthodontist last week and had the molds done for invisalign. I chose those more for cost, it just seems that they may be a pain in the ass seeing as you need to have them in 22 hours a day, for a year give or take a few months.

BTW, I wanted to do regular braces on the bottom in the front and braces behind the front teeth on top, that's where the big costs come in...

So, has anyone here had any experience with these?

VNMUS03

Established Member
There not as bad as you think. They help me not grind my teeth at night and I feel kinda odd without them on. You get use to them.

They serve as whitening trays too if your in need. As far as eating they they helped me eat less. I snack a lot less simply because it's a hassle brushing and flossing after every time I eat. As far as drinking goes stick to water, anything else stains them.

VNMUS03

Established Member
Clean them daily too. I tried the crystals they supply and the oxygenated water but dawn dish soap works the best. I bought a soft tooth brush to scrub them with. In between meals or when I have them off I fill a small container with water and a couple drops of dish soap and leave them in there. Scrub and clean them in cold water. The heat will make them soft and allow them to flex too much.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
There not as bad as you think. They help me not grind my teeth at night and I feel kinda odd without them on. You get use to them.

They serve as whitening trays too if your in need. As far as eating they they helped me eat less. I snack a lot less simply because it's a hassle brushing and flossing after every time I eat. As far as drinking goes stick to water, anything else stains them.

Yeah I could stand to lose a few pounds anyway lol, but that's what I figured where they would be a PITA. She also suggested water only, or you have to at least rinse/brush before putting them back in.

VNMUS03

Established Member
One last thing. Idk if your doing Invisalign express or the standard one but after the treatment is over your provided with retainers. You either get the standard wire retainers or a thicker Invisalign tray retainer. I was told I had to wear that a whole year 22hours a day just like my alignment trays. After that I only need to wear them at night. That was sort of disappointing and I was unaware of that. 19 months in and I now have one more year to go before I'm required to only wear them at night.

VNMUS03

Established Member
You can keep them on to drink water man that's no big deal. Anything else you want to take them off and at least rinse with water or mouthwash. You don't want the sugar or whatever it may be just sitting there in between your teeth and tray for a long period of time. It can lead to cavities and tooth decay. I personally brush after meal and at least rinse my mouth if I drink anything other than eater. If your on the road for example or simply can't brush just put them back on and brush both the tray and your teeth as soon as your home or able too. You keep the same tray on for 2 weeks or so. They can get nasty pretty quickly of you don't take care of them.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
One last thing. Idk if your doing Invisalign express or the standard one but after the treatment is over your provided with retainers. You either get the standard wire retainers or a thicker Invisalign tray retainer. I was told I had to wear that a whole year 22hours a day just like my alignment trays. After that I only need to wear them at night. That was sort of disappointing and I was unaware of that. 19 months in and I now have one more year to go before I'm required to only wear them at night.

I had the option of a removable retainer, or a permanent one. I chose the permanent one. She said even the removable one would have to be worn at night, forever.

Zemedici

Established Member
Invisalign is CHEAPER? I thought they were more expensive due to convenience. I had braces 5 years ago and never wore my retainer so they've shifted back. I've got a small space in between my front teeth that drives me insane. I'm going next month for a consultation

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
Invisalign is CHEAPER? I thought they were more expensive due to convenience. I had braces 5 years ago and never wore my retainer so they've shifted back. I've got a small space in between my front teeth that drives me insane. I'm going next month for a consultation

Braces behind the front top teeth and on the front of the bottom teeth were about $1800 more. The braces behind are custom made, that's why thet are so expensive. I'm 42 BTW, I really feel I would look like a goof with a full set of top and bottom braces, so I didn't even price them.

T's03GT

#Team5bro
Established Member
What do you guys do when you go out to a restaurant and eat with these? Take them out obviously, but most said that you always brush after a meal, so I am curious.

VNMUS03

Established Member
What do you guys do when you go out to a restaurant and eat with these? Take them out obviously, but most said that you always brush after a meal, so I am curious.

I would take them off and put them on when I'm home. If I'll be out later than that just rinse in the bathroom and pop them back on.

VNMUS03

Established Member

If you've had braces before and your in need of minor adjustments they have Invisalign express. It's pretty much the standard Invisalign with just less trays. It's significantly cheaper than the standard one I hear. I think they range from 1200-1800. I paid 4500 for standard Invisalign. I got it almost two years ago so prices may have declined who knows.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
If you've had braces before and your in need of minor adjustments they have Invisalign express. It's pretty much the standard Invisalign with just less trays. It's significantly cheaper than the standard one I hear. I think they range from 1200-1800. I paid 4500 for standard Invisalign. I got it almost two years ago so prices may have declined who knows.

I must be getting the standard, I am paying a good chunk out of pocket even after my $1800 from insurance.

Zemedici

Established Member

Yeah I was thinking 2k or so, I only needed minor adjustments when I got metal braces the first time. So I'm hoping to be in the same boat now

VNMUS03

Established Member
I must be getting the standard, I am paying a good chunk out of pocket even after my $1800 from insurance.

Hopefully you won't need a fiberotomy like I did. Not really painful just uncomfortable. It's an additional 300+ dollars tho. Just a heads up.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
Hopefully you won't need a fiberotomy like I did. Not really painful just uncomfortable. It's an additional 300+ dollars tho. Just a heads up.

She didn't mention it, so I hope not. She said I just needed some "minor adjustments".

I do regular check-ups every six months with my dentist, but I really hate anything and everything to do with the dentist/orthodontist, so i've been putting this off for a while. My wife finally made an appointment after she got tired of me bitching about it, so here I am. I hope for a smooth experience.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I had braces 15 years ago. I have a retainer and use it maybe every other month for 2-3 nights. After braces, your teeth WILL tend to move back towards their original position. Everyone is different. My retainer is enough to shift my two front lower teeth back to their proper position. It's amazing how well a properly made retainer works to re-position your teeth. My best advice to anyone who has had braces is to USE YOUR RETAINER. You don't have to use it every night, but definitely use it as often as necessary if you notice your teeth shifting. Your retainer protects your original investment. As we all know, braces are not cheap.

GodStang

Established Member
Wife got them shortly after we got married. Did a great job and no one noticed. Thing is she only wore the retainer afterwards for a short while cause it started to fall apart and she did not want to pay for another no matter how many times I told her to go and I would pay for it. Her teeth did shift a bit since she did not wear it long enough.

Users who are viewing this thread