Anyone epoxy/recoat your garage floor?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Polyaspartic is much more durable than epoxy.

But fyi, polyaspartic is very slippery when the floor gets wet, so be sure to squeegee it out properly so you don’t fall and bust your ass.
Yes, it is. Mine is textured which helps a lot. By the say, even epoxy, unless it has sand added, is slippery when wet.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Mine, one with new cabinets and bench. Note the beer on the chair.

Cabinets.jpg

Floor.jpg

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Looks great, Brad. I noticed that you extended the coating beyond where the garage door intersects the coating. I decided against doing that because my driveway is going to be replaced next year.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Thanks Bob. That's actually part of the whole house slab. As you've seen in my redid my garage thread, I've since added a paver driveway.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I know you did a paver driveway. A nice one, too, Brad. Where does the garage door come down on the coating. If you get a chance, could you take a photo? I'm curious how it looks intersecting the pavers.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I know you did a paver driveway. A nice one, too, Brad. Where does the garage door come down on the coating. If you get a chance, could you take a photo? I'm curious how it looks intersecting the pavers.
Here you go Bob. Kind of misty overcast this morning.

Approach.jpg

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It isn't a sand texture, as is often used with epoxy finishes. You basically go with smooth (obviously most slippery when wet) or a textured finish that uses multi-color vinyl paint flakes on top of the base coat. I haven't had any issues of it being slippery when wet (from the tires tracking rain water or snow melting off the tires.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
I didn't do any flakes on my last garage, because I thought it would camouflage the 10mm socket when I drop it. Have you guys had any issues with that?

Your government is lying to you

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I didn't do any flakes on my last garage, because I thought it would camouflage the 10mm socket when I drop it. Have you guys had any issues with that?

sometimes it's difficult to see shit when you drop it, gotta do the old kneel down/lay down and look across the floor to see it.

my only issue with the coating is it can be slippery. When trying to pull up on boards or plastic ramps they want to kick out. If you've managed to get sweaty and trying to get some real leverage on something and are on your knees or propping up on your arm you can slide around some. It's not so slick that I have issue walking around in flops when they're wet though.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

Similar to what @DSG2003Mach1 said, sometimes if I drop something small on the floor it can be tricky to quickly find it. So maybe once or twice I've had to kneel down to get closer to the floor. But honestly it's never been any more of any issue than with a regular floor.

Slipperiness wise, @wizbangdoodle didn't do the flakes, so wetness can be a minor issue. Like I said earlier, I've had no slipperiness issues with my coating due to the paint flakes that were added. They're added so that you are least likely to slip.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I remember my installer asking me if I wanted to add the paint flakes and honestly I leaned towards a smooth finish without flakes until my sales rep explained why I probably would want them. I'm glad I listened to him.

Users who are viewing this thread