Anyone epoxy/recoat your garage floor?

cbehr

Established Member
I looked through the forums and didn't see a great spot for this post so my apologies if this shouldn't be here but figured your folks have some nice garages and may have some experience!!

Looking to redo my garage where I keep my 03 Cobra over the winter and have it ready to complete the floor in the spring. Too cold here in PA to do anything to the floor until March/April time frame. I've done hours of researching and video watching and believe I narrowed it down to Armor Garage, Garage Flooring LLC, or Leggari. I plan on renting a diamond bit floor grinder to prep the floor no matter which kit I go with.

In our last house I did the Rust-Oleum "pro" kits which were a step up from the kits the big boxes sold. It turned out decent but I rushed it and when applying the clear some of the undercoating came up a bit. It did hold up for the 5-6 years we were there with no chipping or peeling from hot tires etc.

Any experiences with these or other companies?

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm not familiar with any of those companies, but I did my 3 car garage many years ago with a product from Griot's Garage. Epoxy is a long, messy process. And like any paint/coating, the secret is in the prep. A poorly prepped floor will not turn out well and/or will not last.

If I remember correctly, there was a thread about this a while back. I'm sure you'll get some more responses from others soon. Also, the coating that everyone seems to be going to is polyaspartic. May want to look at that.

Your government is lying to you

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Under "Road Side Pub" there's some stuff.

Here is what I did. I would look for a local company to maybe drop polyaspartic floor covering. Its worth it.

Do it in the spring when you maybe have consistent temps of 75*.
The company I hired diamond grinded it and I dove my car on it and pushed my heavy ass tool box across it by 7pm the same day. It was cured.

I have had 2 house appraises since doing my garage and the appraisers loved it
Hit me up if you have questions

@03cobra#694 has his done to. Maybe he will chime in

2 Car Garage Renovation <----link

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
I've done airplane hangers with Sherwin Williams Industrial Floor coatings. Great stuff, but don't know that you could stay in the house that night.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member

Here is what I did. I would look for a local company to maybe drop polyaspartic floor covering. Its worth it.

The company I hired diamond grinded it and I dove my car on it and pushed my heavy ass tool box across it by 7pm the same day. It was cured.

I dont think his is poly, pretty sure @CobraBob is though.

I had mine done in the usual epoxy stuff, only complaint is now my boards and plastic ramps wanna kick out when pulling up onto them

TaraFirma

Established Member
Anything you can buy in the home improvement stores is not going to last that long. I did my floor with this stuff back in 08 when our foundation was brand new.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Polyurea coating is much superior than epoxy. I had my shop professional done about a year ago.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Have it professionally done. Trust me. Look for my thread on my garage make over, or Cobra Bob’s.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Just a couple pictures. Has a 20 year warranty.
440cbf7f20e16668912f9b05283a4654.jpg
51a90ec03b194c175731f325d46e2809.jpg
af3dc742f72102441426cbb3d2cdf351.jpg
c014e4c958f37fb285053a8a55e82af7.jpg
3ff22d95109904176692fdc9024b723a.jpg

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
I did my own with SPGX ONE PART POLYUREA COATING. Easy to mop and clean up anything.

The key thing is prep (diamond grinding) and buying a quality product to have it last.

Don't buy anything from a big box store. Go here Flooring and do a ton of research and buy from one of their vendors.

Attachments

• 7CA47C1A-85B7-467B-89D2-B96E4308C6FE.jpeg
    7CA47C1A-85B7-467B-89D2-B96E4308C6FE.jpeg
    306.1 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member

Exactly! Plan on close to $4K for a 3.5 car garage. Did mine in 2018.

96dreamer

Established Member
I did my garage floor a little over 7 years ago with epoxy-coat brand. My garage floor was in pretty rough shape, the house was built in 1956. Lots of stains and oil spots. I cleaned everything with degreaser, then several rounds of muratic acid and rinsing before coating. It is still holding up great and the only spot its came up is where a fully trussed 8.8 for my jeep fell off jack stands and chipped a piece of the actual concrete. It has its share of scratches and paint marks from being used but is imo overall held up extremely well. If I were to do it again the only thing I would do is a uv blocking clear top coat. The side by the garage door is starting to slightly yellow. Completely my fault for not doing it initially but I just bought my first house and was being cheap.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I dont think his is poly, pretty sure @CobraBob is though.

I had mine done in the usual epoxy stuff, only complaint is now my boards and plastic ramps wanna kick out when pulling up onto them
Yep, I did mine with poly back in October of 2020. It still looks brand new. I'm up in CT so I was concerned about cold weather. No issues. The installer did have to check for excess concrete moisture but it was fine. By the way, heat from warm tires after a long drive does not "life" the paint, an issue that I had with my previous epoxy coating. The installers used a dustless grinder (it worked) to remove all of the old epoxy coating. So yes, prep is important. These guys knew what they were doing! It was worth every penny I paid.

Here are a few photos.
1643721493396.jpeg

1643721521580.jpeg

1643721543991.jpeg

cbehr

Established Member
Awesome, thanks for all the responses!! I'm more of a DIY'er so would probably prefer to grind the floor and coat it myself but respect the pro's would nail it out quicker and most likely finish it with a higher quality finish. I'll check out some of the poly materials again but thought I read there were some pros and cons to each(by each I mean the legit epoxy and not the big box store kits)?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Yeah, try to steer away from the big box store epoxy kits. Been there and done that. And focus on prep. Test your concrete for moisture. And try to use a dustless grinder if you can get one. Otherwise you're going to have a mess in your garage (walls and ceiling). When my installers finished the grinding, I literally did a white glove test on the walls. NOTHING! They really work.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I bought my epoxy kit from Home Depot. Hot tire pick up started within a month of me applying it. Within a few years, well, the floor was a complete mess and looked like flaking paint. That was my own experience. Some get lucky.

rborden

Established Member
Polyaspartic is much more durable than epoxy.

But fyi, polyaspartic is very slippery when the floor gets wet, so be sure to squeegee it out properly so you don’t fall and bust your ass.

Detroit Iron

Established Member
Premium Member
I did my garage floor back in 2015. Nothing fancy, just some heavy duty industrial paint. It's holding up decently, just some hot tire peeling. If I were going to do this again, I would likely hire a pro.

Users who are viewing this thread