Anyone else running a gen3r with this noise?

Brad D

Established Member
I'm currently working out some bugs from my last dyno session in prep for my final dyno tweak. And im getting a really weird noise from my supercharger. The noise sounds like a vacuum leak but I have done a smoke test (through the intake elbow) and it checks out good. I've also taken the belt off my supercharger and ran it and all seemed good, until I put my supercharger belt back on. The noise is most obvious at idle/cruising speed. I built a fully studded 9:6:1 teksid with 96-98 cobra cams. And with a dual 465 fore return fuel system on E85 it only made 687 so something is for sure off (I was hoping for at least 750 whp). I'm unable to load the video I took of it running unfortunately. Scheduled to go back the 8th so any advice is much appreciated! Thank you.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Can you check the bypass with a vacuum pump? Is the boost what you expected for your setup?

Brad D

Established Member
I don't have access to a vacuum pump. But I'm sure I could get creative. You think it might be bleeding off access pressure from the bypass? And it did make 20 psi with 1 5/8 long tubes and a 2.8 upper with a stock caged lower.

Brad D

Established Member
You got me thinking a little now, The bottom of the bypass, I just have it vented to the atmosphere. Should I have to run that into the intake? The diagram I saw said venting to the atmosphere is fine.

01yellercobra

Established Member
It should be vented to atmosphere. If you had low boost for your combo the bypass could be bad. But you'd have other issues with idle and part throttle. To be honest it could just be the sound of the air going through the filter or even the belt. I can hear my intake at part throttle sometimes. Especially on cold start.

03' White Snake

Established Member
20 lbs…. 687hp. Even with 9.6 CR I don’t think you are going to hit 750 unless you are on a happy dyno. On 20 lbs, I’d put you low 700 mark, so you are 20 hp low, which could be dyno variation. How much timing?

You need more boost. 22-24 would get you there.

I’m running KB 2.8h, 10.3 CR, 22 lbs, cams, ported lower etc. and made 829 hp 767 tq.

My buddies car, nearly identical to mine, 24 psi made 840/794.

Brad D

Established Member
Im not sure on the timing, actually still trying to get my dyno sheet. Also while I was on the dyno the o2 sensors weren’t working so he had to sniff it, and gave me another tune to run when I get new o2 sensors in (which I have done). And also the catch can I was running (pcv system removed) was so restrictive that at the top end around 6,000 it was actually shooting oil out of my dipstick tube and then a compete drop off in power. I have since then just put on some 3/4 breathers. Do you think that my breather issue I was having could be a culprit for the power drop off at 6,000??

03' White Snake

Established Member
Im not sure on the timing, actually still trying to get my dyno sheet. Also while I was on the dyno the o2 sensors weren’t working so he had to sniff it, and gave me another tune to run when I get new o2 sensors in (which I have done). And also the catch can I was running (pcv system removed) was so restrictive that at the top end around 6,000 it was actually shooting oil out of my dipstick tube and then a compete drop off in power. I have since then just put on some 3/4 breathers. Do you think that my breather issue I was having could be a culprit for the power drop off at 6,000??

I doubt it. My blower stops making power at 6200, so no need to spin it much beyond that.

I ran breathers for a few years, they make a mess. I run a vented catch can now. On E-85, I have to drain the condensation out of it almost every day I drive it. When its cold out, I can half fill a water bottle with moisture from full heat cycling the motor. So something to remember.

01yellercobra

Established Member
What catch can were you running? That sounds like a lot of blow by for it to be shooting out of the dipstick.

Brad D

Established Member
What catch can were you running? That sounds like a lot of blow by for it to be shooting out of the dipstick.
I’m a machinist by trade so I made it. It was only 3/8 line that actually bottle necked down to 1/4 ,live and learn I guess. I’m lucky that I broke my dipstick tube when I built the motor honesty, because the one I replaced it with is a non-locking one. So it didn’t take much to push the excess pressure out.

03' White Snake

Established Member
I’m a machinist by trade so I made it. It was only 3/8 line that actually bottle necked down to 1/4 ,live and learn I guess. I’m lucky that I broke my dipstick tube when I built the motor honesty, because the one I replaced it with is a non-locking one. So it didn’t take much to push the excess pressure out.
Path of least resistance.

My catch can is fed by 2 -10AN lines.

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
Image1714781196.782616.jpg

I’m running a single vented breather catch can with dual -10an hoses going to the can and a CFM breather on the driver side valve cover this is more than enough ventilation for a blower spinning to 19,500 rpm 14 psi boost and 9.1 compression

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
I forgot to mention if your oil dipstick is popping out under wot and full boost then your crank case pressure is way to high once I went to this set up I have no problem with that anymore or oil coming out of the pan gasket

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread