Anyone Else Get the SCT Advantage Email?

96gt02

Established Member
Does anything think HP Tuners will get "busted" later on down the road? Or is there a loop hole on the HP tuners stuff that im missing?

I would almost guarantee HP tuners get hit even harder TBH

You'll know it is serious when the EPA starts picking random tuner/tuner companies and starts crushing them like beer cans. That will be a pretty sad day, hope to never see it.

Yeah and its definitely going to happen unfortunately, I can think of several tuners who manipulate emissions to get vehicles to pass inspections without cats, and they will have to make a few examples and I bet the diesel world is even worse

Accord302

Hey @SecondhandSnake, I would like to talk to you about this. I am a newb and can't find a way to send you a PM or IM. I've never been on any forum where you could not contact another member directly so hopefully that's not the case.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Hey @SecondhandSnake, I would like to talk to you about this. I am a newb and can't find a way to send you a PM or IM. I've never been on any forum where you could not contact another member directly so hopefully that's not the case.
You can PM on here after a certain pitch count I believe. Welcome!

decipha

Established Member
I still don't understand why anyone would even consider using hptuners or sct to tune an eec. Realtime tuning from the moates quarterhorse (10 years ago) pretty much threw that archaic method of writing flashing and datalogging out years ago. Anyone can very easily download TunerPro and get the FREE custom tuning software to do anything they want with their ecu.

Getting Started / EFIDynoTuning

iceman22

Established Member
wish I would have read this before I updated last night , and I could see this being a good idea for people who tune other peoples car but makes no sense to restrict people who have been using this shit for many years , I agree with some kinda refund because this is way short of what we paid for , its useless if cant access timing and fuel tables . Has anyone took their lil test and does it give you full control again or do they wont more money ?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I still don't understand why anyone would even consider using hptuners or sct to tune an eec. Realtime tuning from the moates quarterhorse (10 years ago) pretty much threw that archaic method of writing flashing and datalogging out years ago. Anyone can very easily download TunerPro and get the FREE custom tuning software to do anything they want with their ecu.

Getting Started / EFIDynoTuning

i think most of us started with zero consideration that we would ever tune our own car. So we bought a hand held to support someone else doing it. Then you get frustrated at wait times, tuner not giving a damn etc... You've already got the handheld and now you end up with their tuning software. Thats how it went for me, then my build went over my head and I ended up finding a new tuner anyway...$600 paper weight or whatever it cost me

If/when I get another Lightning I'll probably give the Moates thing a try, throw in a J&S safeguard to cover my ass and try to figure it out.

Accord302

I find it amusing that everyone seems to think Moates and HP are somehow going to remain immune from these regulations forever. Sort of the head in the sand scenario. SCT turned themselves in FYI. To reduce the fine. It is coming for the others.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I find it amusing that everyone seems to think Moates and HP are somehow going to remain immune from these regulations forever. Sort of the head in the sand scenario. SCT turned themselves in FYI. To reduce the fine. It is coming for the others.

this is true, they knew they had it coming...stupid coal rollers is my understanding.

However - ProRacer requires you to connect to the internet every so often to verify your license or you get locked out. If Moates doesn't require this then they can **** right off, don't update the software and there's nothing that can be done

01yellercobra

Established Member
wish I would have read this before I updated last night , and I could see this being a good idea for people who tune other peoples car but makes no sense to restrict people who have been using this shit for many years , I agree with some kinda refund because this is way short of what we paid for , its useless if cant access timing and fuel tables . Has anyone took their lil test and does it give you full control again or do they wont more money ?

I took the tests and updated as needed. The only difference I noticed is I lost the tables under OBD II I had just gotten access too. But since I never messed with them before it didn't bother me. I still have full access to turning O2 sensors and the EGR off as well as messing with system switches. And I didn't pay anything extra.

Actually, I think I have access to drive by wire now as well. Not that I need it.

decipha

Established Member
moates isn't a software company its just a hardware company thus they have no liability. The software is free and open source thus is CAN NEVER be locked or otherwise.

That is why TunerPro is far superior than all the other software. Its free and open source so there is no way to prevent the tuner from accessing it.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
i was expecting that under the current administration the government would be becoming more lax in this type of regulation and enforcement, not the other way around.

96gt02

Established Member
^ Also this has been in the works for years, well before 2016

RacerXHG

13mm or 1/2in???
Established Member
I had two laptops with PRP on it. I had updated one a few weeks ago, it did exactly what everyone else is experiencing so I cloned the drive on the one I use at the track and keep the tunes on a flash drive. When I burn through the 100 plus tune limit, I can reimage the drive. I am a bit pissed though and the Moates QH wth live tuning sounds perfect. Decipha is very helpful too.

"i was expecting that under the current administration the government would be becoming more lax in this type of regulation and enforcement, not the other way around. "

It's a big machine with lots of gears and cogs. It's very hard to stop when in motion...

RacerXHG

13mm or 1/2in???
Established Member
Ok, that didn't work. The other SCT PRP asked to immediately update the program and would not open. I almost wonder if it updates something in the dongle. So I read the 59 pages and took the 5 question test. Passed no prob. It is open book, no time limit. No brainer multiple choice questions actually. Two on modifying DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) systems, which, obviously you DON'T modify anything from the factory, a PCV blow-by related question, another PCV question (what's it used for) and one on when EGR system is most effectively used at (cruising speed of course). I didn't even have to read all that. I actually skipped the last 20 federal pages lol.

Users who are viewing this thread