Anyone else frustrated with Ford over the next GT500?

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
I look at it like this. N/A 465 BHP (advertised) A10 2018 Mustang GT's are running into the low 11's on E85, intake, tune and drag radials. Thats a half to a full second off from where these Demons are running out in the wild?

Chassis for Chassis, the 2018 S550 is hands down a better car than the Charger/Challenger platform. They are just translating the power to the pavement better.

IF the next GT500 will have, at a minimum, another 235 hp and torque? They wont need to make Demon level power and torque to absolutely crush it. The only thing we will need to know is if its a DCT or a true A10. If its a DTC, only a clutch pack seal could keep the next GT500 from being just a downright monster.

Shame on Ford for taking THEIR SWEET DANDY TIME. But if the 2018 GT A10 is any kind of indicator, Ford is about to release their Demon/Hellcat killer.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
I doubt it. You really need wide sticky tires to get to 11 flat. With the above the drivability will be lacking.
Yes Porsche did it it, but it’s a 3100lb car with pdk and starts at $150k.

Gr8fulmtnbiker

Established Member
I haven't seen $15k less than MSRP, but if you find one at that price buy it.

I have never seen that anywhere either- if i did, i would have bought one. i have been to half a dozen chevy dealerships within a 20 mile radius of my home and not a single one is anywhere near that. while they are not gouging customers with ADM's, they are certainly not selling them under MSRP anywhere I have been.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
A guy at my last track day had just purchased a ZL1 1LE for $8,500 under MSRP. It was a good looking car, he bought it from some dealer in Oklahoma, the name escapes me.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
As I understand it, the Mustang was entirely Iaccoca's idea. Ford II and Iaccoca wanted a way make Mustang's perception be more than a sporty secretary coupe. They wanted to prove the car they designed was a performance machine if one chose to build it that way.

Shelby's relationship with Ford was healthy from the engine partnership with the Shelby Cobra. So, Ford handed the Mustang to Shelby American and the rest is history.

If you ask me, the Shelby GT350 and GT500 nameplates will always be synonymous with Ford Mustang performance. Before there was a Boss, Mach 1, or Bullitt there was a Shelby.

Iacocca gave the green light for the Mustang after Shelby approached him. But yeah, you could say Iacocca is the father of the Mustang. You're mistaken with the GT350, though. That was a Shelby exclusive. Shelby wanted to build his own street cars, so he sourced Mustang bodies-in-white from Ford and essentially built the GT350s/GT350Rs from the ground up. When Iacocca said he didn't want the Mustang to just be "a secretary's car", that's when the 289 V8 version came along, which wasn't long after the Mustang was initially introduced.

I love this sentiment. I'm getting a deal, so it must be inferior. I raced a friend's ZL1 at Laguna Seca this weekend (f'ing awesome). The GT350's that were there didn't perform in any exceptional manner. Several guys in ZL1's were killing it. For a track focused car, they seem underwhelming in real life at the track. Maybe GT350 guys like reading Motortrend more than racing their cars.

Faster car for less money......am I missing something?

It's called artificial supply/demand plus dealer mark up. GM is simply building more of them and dealers aren't gouging their customers.

You got triggered for no reason, dude. I didn't say the ZL1 is an inferior car. You must've missed the part where I said "preferences."

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Canaria are good, vettes are good, challengers and chargers are good, but for me the feel and fun I get in mustangs is more enjoyable.

The big 3 don’t have any bad offerings at the moment in my opinion

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I love this sentiment. I'm getting a deal, so it must be inferior. I raced a friend's ZL1 at Laguna Seca this weekend (f'ing awesome). The GT350's that were there didn't perform in any exceptional manner. Several guys in ZL1's were killing it. For a track focused car, they seem underwhelming in real life at the track. Maybe GT350 guys like reading Motortrend more than racing their cars.

Faster car for less money......am I missing something?

It's called artificial supply/demand plus dealer mark up. GM is simply building more of them and dealers aren't gouging their customers.

My last track day I wasted 2 laps stuck behind a ZL1 because he wouldn't let me past and I was unwilling to late brake him into the turns to take the position.

Driver>car.

Also, the heat must have been getting to that car because he would maybe pull a car length on me on the straights and it shouldn't have been like that.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Youll be disappointed. Nothing short of drastic action will get the curb weight down to a respectable level. Personal opinion of mine of course.

freakshow12

Established Member
I dunno, my buddy has a 16 HC challenger and even when it was stock it “feels” a lot lighter than it is. It’s a pretty impressive car. I liked my 14 gt500 better but that’s just my ford blue blood lol. I’m just saying ford better bring something serious with a price point to match what I can get from dodge

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Hahahhaha sorta not though because demons in magazine hands ran high 10’s and low 11’s at drag strips while gt350r’s and gt350’s ran high 11’s and low 12’s in the same magazines hands, but obviously that 1-2 second gap at the strip is pretty damn awesome considering one car is a drag car only and the other pair are down 314hp while being setup entirely for handling and circuits with na engines no less vs supercharged engines and not to mention one car is on drag radials while the other pair are on street rubber and while one car is waaaaaaaaaay off its mark in real life of backing up its marketing hype in customer, magazine and owner testimonials meanwhile the other pair pretty much meet and exceed their marketing hype like dramatically and to the point where they get credited as being more fun to drive and rewarding than 911’s and Ferrari’s hahahahahhaha hahahhahahahabahhahhhahahhhahahahahahahahahahajajhajajajajajajbahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahaha

Lol
LMFAO
That was a good read. :D

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Everybody sits there and bashes the gt350/350r as if they are some kind of crap on a plate, meanwhile dodge gets a hero run at 9.65, and one guy goes 9.90, and the demon is hailed as incredible while magazines struggle for 10’s and hit low 11’s on drag radials at sticky tracks but mid day with high ambient temps. However similar conditions, gt350’s and gt350r’s have gone low 12 high 11’s being down literally 314hp...

I like both cars a lot, but the facts are the gt350 and gt350r hits and exceeds their marketing hype. People do back to back drives with gt3’s and Ferrari’s and sing poetic of the fords while being just pleased of the exotic stuff.

Motortrend best drivers car gt350r was 2nd place behind a top tier mclaren for 2016 iirc, etc etc...

Last edited:

C0bra99

Established Member
Shhh.... Stop you will be called a hater. Some People on here can't take constructive criticism.
Everybody sits there and bashes the gt350/350r as if they are some kind of crap on a plate, meanwhile dodge gets a hero run at 9.65, and one guy goes 9.90, and the demon is hailed as incredible while magazines struggle for 10’s and hit low 11’s on drag radials at sticky tracks but mid day with high ambient temps. However similar conditions, gt350’s and gt350r’s have gone low 12 high 11’s being down literally 314hp...

I like both cars a lot, but the facts are the gt350 and gt350r hits and exceeds their marketing hype. People do back to back drives with gt3’s and Ferrari’s and sing poetic of the fords while being just pleased of the exotic stuff.

Motortrend best drivers car gt350r was 2nd place behind a top tier mclaren for 2016 iirc, etc etc...

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Proves more people disagree with you than do. And to these manufacturers, dollars build cars, not forum opinions.

Mustang
June 2018 - 7,400
YTD 2018 - 42,428

Challenger
June 2018 - 6,822
YTD 2018 - 37,367

Damn Challenger is nipping at the Mustang's heels.

Dodge also offers a 4 Door Challenger which I bet cannibalizes some sales.

Charger
June 2018 - 6,640
YTD 2018 - 41,406

FCA has been killing it these past few years with the entire Jeep line up, RAM and the Charger/Challenger. For me to be impressed with the GT500, it will have to take it to that "next level" with AWD + 10spd. Turn it into a GTR/Super-Car killer. Ford already has the "track oriented" GT350 - why not make the GT500 the Street/Strip brawler to appease everyone else?

FCA is soooooooooo close to doing that. They have AWD in the Charger/Challenger and they have AWD-"Hellcat" in the Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk. Combine the two!

If anything, FCA shows that there is very much a market of "Street Oriented" performance enthusiasts. I've not been on a road course in 5 years and whether or not a 350GT is 1 second faster then whatever else at the 'Ring is irrelevant to me. I'm sure there are tons of other people that agree.

VIR Times -

BMW M4 - 3:00.70
Porsche Cayman S (981) - 3:02.60
Charger Hellcat - 3:03.50

Not about to cry myself to sleep over those numbers.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
... Ford already has the "track oriented" GT350 - why not make the GT500 the Street/Strip brawler to appease everyone else?

Because that "everyone else" you speak of is not nearly as big a market as you think.

VIR Times -

BMW M4 - 3:00.70
Porsche Cayman S (981) - 3:02.60
Charger Hellcat - 3:03.50

Not about to cry myself to sleep over those numbers.

It should still sting your eyes a little bit, though. The GT350[R] absolutely destroys those times. The Hellcat is trailing behind cars with nearly 300 less HP than it has. That's not exactly a good look. Heck, the '13 GT500 posted a better time than that.

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
How often do you race at VIR?

How often do you merge onto the highway / stoplight race / go to "Mexico"?

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Because that "everyone else" you speak of is not nearly as big a market as you think.

Then why was the Viper a sales failure? With discounts and the GT350Rs ADMs, it was priced similarly.

It should still sting your eyes a little bit, though. The GT350[R] absolutely destroys those times. The Hellcat is trailing behind cars with nearly 300 less HP than it has. That's not exactly a good look. Heck, the '13 GT500 posted a better time than that.

Except I see a bloated 4,500lb American Sedan that seats 5 adults with comfort riding a 20 year old chassis just kept up with two premier German sports cars renown for their track presence, balance and agility.

Users who are viewing this thread