Anyone else frustrated with Ford over the next GT500?

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
People are fixing that with a jumper or Forscan on the Raptor, I would guess one would be able to fix it here too.

I'm versed in using FORscan on the S550 but haven't seen it used on the Raptor to eliminate (or turn off) the engine shut off feature. Got a link? I'm curious as to which control module it resides in and what values were used to change it.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
The folks at Porsche tried having no manual option, and they got backlash even though, hands down, they have the very best auto on the market. Call it whatever the hell you want, if it shifts automatically via algorithm and programming/design, it’s an automated or automatic trans in my book.

Ford will likely offer a manual. Regardless of a drawing, ford knows their buyers want a manual, and the ability to turn all the nannies off. An auto option is very smart for demographics and reaching a new customer base. But that said I can’t see them stepping away from a manual just yet. The car has been in development too long, and too long of a dry spell has existed for ford to take any gambles at this point in my opinion. They want a grand slam, not a home run.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Maybe I’m a better driver than I think I am. I think I’m amateur at best, but that said I can comfortably drift stock manual rwd cars, and link corners sideways, I can heel toe down shift 4-5 gears during a panic stop from freeway speed, and I haven’t been in an auto car yet that can drop through 4 gears from freeway speed yet. R8’s, c7 z06’s, etc.

I have friends that call me dsg, they make Snapchat vids of me hammering gear changes like it’s a direct shift lever in a race car. I learned to heel toe shift/drive early in my 20’s. I’m 28 now and I can dance a car regardless of it’s drive wheels like it’s a toy. Mid corner manipulations are my favorite part of a manual car without stability nannies.

I could see a manual being a bad option for people that don’t want to or can’t do those types of things.

For me, driving is a conscious, engaging thrash session that is executed so smoothly/flowingly that it almost seems sublime. Think surfing or aggressive skateboarding. It looks super easy, but it is a decided balancing act.

I’m shit in an auto car with stability nannies on/undefeatable and a button handbrake. I look like a fool that can’t find the apex. I have to get used to the grip available and I’m always slow because it’s not how I want to drive. Those cars are safe narrow slow in medium wide out. I like wide medium in fast narrow out skating on the edge of the rumble strip/gore zone.

In something I can exploit, I can pitch it in from higher speed, and carry the car through faster by manipulating the weight transfer and engaging a light 4 wheel drift. In cars with nannies, it heavily applies the brake, I wash out of the corner and lose the entire line.

Anyways, I’m not saying I’m a wiz or race car driver, but I have a hell of a lot better fun in a manual no nannies car. The auto/nannies thing is like sex with a 6 and rubbers. It’s still sex, but I’m not gonna remember it tomorrow.

Recon

Established Member
The folks at Porsche tried having no manual option, and they got backlash even though, hands down, they have the very best auto on the market. Call it whatever the hell you want, if it shifts automatically via algorithm and programming/design, it’s an automated or automatic trans in my book.

That’s why the 911R is manual only.

Pick your poison.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
Maybe I’m a better driver than I think I am. I think I’m amateur at best, but that said I can comfortably drift stock manual rwd cars, and link corners sideways, I can heel toe down shift 4-5 gears during a panic stop from freeway speed, and I haven’t been in an auto car yet that can drop through 4 gears from freeway speed yet. R8’s, c7 z06’s, etc.

I have friends that call me dsg, they make Snapchat vids of me hammering gear changes like it’s a direct shift lever in a race car. I learned to heel toe shift/drive early in my 20’s. I’m 28 now and I can dance a car regardless of it’s drive wheels like it’s a toy. Mid corner manipulations are my favorite part of a manual car without stability nannies.

I could see a manual being a bad option for people that don’t want to or can’t do those types of things.

For me, driving is a conscious, engaging thrash session that is executed so smoothly/flowingly that it almost seems sublime. Think surfing or aggressive skateboarding. It looks super easy, but it is a decided balancing act.

I’m shit in an auto car with stability nannies on/undefeatable and a button handbrake. I look like a fool that can’t find the apex. I have to get used to the grip available and I’m always slow because it’s not how I want to drive. Those cars are safe narrow slow in medium wide out. I like wide medium in fast narrow out skating on the edge of the rumble strip/gore zone.

In something I can exploit, I can pitch it in from higher speed, and carry the car through faster by manipulating the weight transfer and engaging a light 4 wheel drift. In cars with nannies, it heavily applies the brake, I wash out of the corner and lose the entire line.

Anyways, I’m not saying I’m a wiz or race car driver, but I have a hell of a lot better fun in a manual no nannies car. The auto/nannies thing is like sex with a 6 and rubbers. It’s still sex, but I’m not gonna remember it tomorrow.

LOL.

Trust me, you're definitely not a better driver than you think you are based on this post.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member

ps., do me a favor, and list me every car you've tracked hard in the run up to this assessment.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator

1,500+ pages of reading....probably not going to be digging through all of that for this specific instance, hence why I asked for a link relative to your statement about disabling the shutoff feature on a Raptor. I made it through quite a bit of the F150 site pages and used FORscan over a year ago to make a number of changes to my GT350 but there are a few things you can't do such as if you are trying to rewrite any PCM code. I would have thought that this would be one of those that you can't do in FORscan. If you have a link of a relevant post I'd love to see the values that were altered to defeat this.

It was on the 2018 Raptor I drove last week. Annoying as hell. I couldn't figure out how to turn it off in a 15 minute test drive.

It is annoying. What bothers me the most is the decision to remove control from the end user. Every engineer involved with these systems knows that the public dislikes them but the choice to include them resides at another level. Those guys know how hated they are as well. Yet their use continues to grow.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
1,500+ pages of reading....probably not going to be digging through all of that for this specific instance, hence why I asked for a link relative to your statement about disabling the shutoff feature on a Raptor. I made it through quite a bit of the F150 site pages and used FORscan over a year ago to make a number of changes to my GT350 but there are a few things you can't do such as if if you are trying to rewrite any PCM code. I would have thought that this would be one of those that you can't do in FORscan.

It is annoying. What bothers me the most is the decision to remove control from the end user. Everyone engineer involved with these systems knows that the public dislikes them but the choice to include them resides at another level. Those guys know how hated they are as well. Yet their use continues to grow.
It was in the google doc link. Just giving the source I got the info from. But here is the link to the doc https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...iVSlDFGFHnfeuhb3RTMVz95730/edit#gid=815852466

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
A good read on a Raptor forum with a few different ways that have been attempted.

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f261/auto-start-stop-permanantly-disable-youtube-51978/

And for anyone here that has no clue what we're talking about here's a poor YT clip that shows it being done to a 2017 Fusion. Of note, some of the Fusion BCM blocks for this one look to be identical to the F150. Definitely will help narrow this one down if the GT500 comes so equipped.

conceptmachine

Established Member
I don' t think it will Tob, it's one of the reason you pay a gas guzzler fee, I would say.
I hated it on my raptor, but it was my daily driver.
it pisses me off that the mode defaults back to normal.
on the 350 I'd keep the thing in sport all the time. same thing with raptor, GT500.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
ps., do me a favor, and list me every car you've tracked hard in the run up to this assessment.
Not that you're asking me, but I'm a pretty experienced drag racer and had the opportunity to do 2 road course tracks over the last year. So, a complete beginner on track who thinks he's a great shifter. The road course action showed me concentration on braking, apexes, and being fast through the whole course made shifting and intrusion on the track driving focus.
Plus shifting a Porsche Cayman GTS, Ferrari 458 and 488GTB all with DCTs made me more comfortable and probably significantly fast on track than in the manual GT350R and Viper ACR.
I have 3 manual Mustangs, the next will be DCT I'm hoping.
-J

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
Does a spec Miata and a 4 cyl 4-eyes notch whipping through the subdivision count?

As long as people on the streets say it's as if Jesus returned to earth to combine the manual dexterity of Herbie Hancock with the twinkle toes of Mikhail Baryshnikov, along with the racing soul of Ayrton Senna...yes.

Voltwings

Established Member
Not that you're asking me, but I'm a pretty experienced drag racer and had the opportunity to do 2 road course tracks over the last year. So, a complete beginner on track who thinks he's a great shifter. The road course action showed me concentration on braking, apexes, and being fast through the whole course made shifting and intrusion on the track driving focus.
Plus shifting a Porsche Cayman GTS, Ferrari 458 and 488GTB all with DCTs made me more comfortable and probably significantly fast on track than in the manual GT350R and Viper ACR.
I have 3 manual Mustangs, the next will be DCT I'm hoping.
-J

The problem i have with this (and this is in NO way a personal attack) is that you have these people who show up in these high dollar DCT cars and think they're the shit because their money is taking them around the track fast when in reality they're terrible drivers. The modern car has made way too many people too comfortable.

I'm in one of the more advanced run groups and we had a guy with an M4 show up talking about how great he was and that he needed to be in our group... this guy spent the whole day nearly causing wrecks and he actually drove straight off track right in front of me. I'd be willing to bet he wasn't half as good as his car made him think he was. I think having to focus on shifting, apexes, brakes, etc is part of the experience, you need to be able to do all of that to be more aware of what's going on.

Again, i understand that there will be the casual HPDE guy who simply just wants to come out and enjoy his car, i 100% am ok with that. I am not Ok with all this fancy tech boosting egos and hindering fundamentals. We also had a guy in a supercharged 800 whp Camaro come out and fly straight off the end of the straight, and he ended up going home on a flat bed. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of run groups start putting restrictions on what people are allowed to bring due to the increasing liabilities. 755 is WAY too much for the road course, it just isn't needed.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
How is a guy that is nearly causing wrecks thinking he is good? That is the organizer's fault. I've put on a fair number of track days and if you're a danger to other drivers, you're getting black flagged immediately. Likewise, if you put yourself in the wrong run group, we will move you to the correct one.

The problems you're describing have little to do with the transmission or engine.

Users who are viewing this thread