Anyone else frustrated with Ford over the next GT500?

conceptmachine

Established Member
Personally, I would never, ever, ever buy a sports car with a conventional hydraulic automatic transmission. The comparisons GM makes between the hydramatic and PDK are laughable. I'm sure it's fine for beep-beep-beep WOT and all that, but they still don't compare otherwise.

PDK in the GT3 RS is the best transmission in the world.
Do you like the DCT in the GT as much as the PDK in the GT3?

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
@conceptmachine Yea... its going bye-bye. Only variable is the replacement. If the GT500 doesn't come to light for some reason, I'll grab a 17 GT350 or 18... if they make one. If the GT500 gets release in late 18, early 19... I'll hold on to it til then.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
I don't know, man... the trans in my Hellcat is a conventional hydraulic and it takes a pounding. Some folks are running low 9's on a completely stock trans and last season I was hot lapping for 2 hours on the road course with zero temp issues. I can't get 20 minutes out of my Mustangs manual transmission.

Yeah, well that's because of issues beyond the transmission. Functionality is one thing, but no conventional auto is gonna remotely compare to even a reasonably sorted DCT for track work IMO (speaking about entertainment value rather than numerical performance).

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
Do you like the DCT in the GT as much as the PDK in the GT3?

No, but I don't like anything as much as PDK. The GT DCT is a variation of the same Getrag 7DCL750 box that's in a shitload of other exotics (Ferraris, Mercs). It's not in or going in any other Ford. It's good overall and it's very good on track. My car was extremely early production so I assume they will tweak the calibration over time.

I've never driven a truly bad DCT. The early McLaren Grazianos were pretty shitty actually, but they were ok at WOT, and 675LT version was very good. Ferrari Getrag application is fast but too smooth for my taste, while Lambo LDF is comically artificially too harsh in Corsa but very good overall. R-tronic version in the R8 is really good, but again a little smooth for my taste. GT is somewhere in the middle of that, so a lot of it is down to calibration.

All I can tell you is IMO PDK in a GT3 RS driven hard is heaven on earth. It's like a ****ing bomb went off when you shift at WOT. The needle doesn't sweep; it just magically appears several thousand RPM lower. Ze germans have it together.

Kaneda

BANNED
Established Member
I used to be a "manual" or no dice guy. Then I got into a car with an 8-speed auto. It blew away my 6-speed manual. So yeah, manual is more fun and engaging. But Auto is so much faster now.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I enjoy banging the gears too much. It's all good though because some guys like models and some like the curvy women. :D

I'm with you on the manual transmission. However, after having driven some DCT equipped cars on track, I think it's a nice compromise.

Wait I'm getting the Vibe that there is only going to be a AUTO. Please say that isn't so.

Highly unlikely that it'll be an auto-only car. If it does get released as only a torque convertor auto, I'm all the way out. I'll either keep pushing with my current GT500 or trade it for a ZL1 1LE. People are in love with the new A10, but don't realize that, when not driving around at WOT all the time, it is still slow to respond to "manual" shift requests. Potential owners are going to be disappointed when they find out they can't just click off gears at part throttle.

jtfx6552

Established Member
I have cars that I want to drive. So if an auto is quicker, what does it matter? So I can "beat" someone in a meaningless race?

If a DCT is quicker around a track, do I care? there are no trophies at HPDEs.

If Ford came out with a self driving GT1000 that had twice the HP of the "you drive it" version, would you buy it?

Looks like we are on the wrong side of the technology curve. I liked it better when a high HP car required a good driver to perform well.

Dusten

Established Member
I have cars that I want to drive. So if an auto is quicker, what does it matter? So I can "beat" someone in a meaningless race?

If Ford came out with a self driving GT1000 that had twice the HP of the "you drive it" version, would you buy it?

Looks like we are on the wrong side of the technology curve. I liked it better when a high HP car required a good driver to perform well.
I've owned dct cars. I own autos. I love driving them.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member

Saying a DCT is purely about being quicker is a misconception IMO. I don't really care about a DCT being quicker, although I do think a DCT can make a car feel like it has 50 more HP due to the fact it essentially never stops accelerating at WOT.

A good DCT, to me, inspires the feeling of driving a legitimate race car. I defy anyone to get in a Radical SR3 with a sequential manual gearbox and tell me that the lack of a stick shift does anything but enhance the experience. Something like PDK-S gets you closer to that experience while still being livable on the street. I never leave DCT cars in full auto, even driving around town.

Personally, when I'm on a track, I like the ability to essentially shift at any time, any where because the car doesn't get upset by a change in momentum. I also think it's just as entertaining to drill the brakes at 150 mph and wack the paddle down to the right gear. GT350R with a DCT would be an absolute ****ing animal and even more entertaining because of the powerplant characteristics IMO.

Sure, I believe there are some guys that would truly rather have a conventional manual for track work even if they are slower. I think those guys are few and far between. Cars are so ****ing fast now that unless you're a pro's pro, good luck keeping track of all the shit you need to do while going "kill yourself" fast in uncaged street cars.

rwleonard

Established Member
If I drove a stock Miata I wouldn't have to worry about a clumsy application of throttle upsetting the car, either. It's all good, clean fun, though. Whatever makes you smile is what you should drive, eh? BTW, what kind, if any, engine braking does one get from a DCT in manual mode? I have never driven one.

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
I don't know what y'all are talking about. I'm the 2017 HPDE World Champion. If you didn't get a trophy and a check... you're doing it wrong.

conceptmachine

Established Member
Yeah, i think that Ford may lose 50 sales total, and probably gain 1000. I like to row gears too, in a lighter car its more fun. In a 4,000 lb car with a heavy clutch I'll prefer to use my finger tips.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I don't know what y'all are talking about. I'm the 2017 HPDE World Champion. If you didn't get a trophy and a check... you're doing it wrong.

LOL. I have always been saying, if you're not racing for cash and prizes, what does it actually matter in being a few tenths faster in a race? Yeah, you were faster, but the other guy was having way more fun. :)

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
I pray there is no engine shutoff when stopped - unless you can set the default to off.

I'm also interested in seeing if the DCT is used in conjunction with a guibo joint(s), a revised driveshaft, and beefier IRS half shafts.
People are fixing that with a jumper or Forscan on the Raptor, I would guess one would be able to fix it here too.

conceptmachine

Established Member
I pray there is no engine shutoff when stopped - unless you can set the default to off.

I'm also interested in seeing if the DCT is used in conjunction with a guibo joint(s), a revised driveshaft, and beefier IRS half shafts.

I don’t think this feature is on V8s is it?
I can’t stand it, I just got an escape, and thought it would be just like my explorer sport and be able to program it to always off. Nope...gotta hit the darn button everytime I get in it. I hated that in the raptor(not as much as the terrible brakes tho)
I just don’t get the idea of not getting choice to set it on always or off always. It’s freaking 30 below zero the last couple days, like I really want my car shutting off in the cold winter months.

Users who are viewing this thread