Anyone else frustrated with Ford over the next GT500?

Kaneda

BANNED
Established Member
GOSH, all this non-stop speculating gets OLD AS F#4K. Dodge and Chevy continue to bring big dogs to the streets while Ford just makes their fans speculate for years. GT350 is a great car that gets its ass handed to it by any ZL1.

01performanceredvertsnake

Established Member
GOSH, all this non-stop speculating gets OLD AS F#4K. Dodge and Chevy continue to bring big dogs to the streets while Ford just makes their fans speculate for years. GT350 is a great car that gets its ass handed to it by any ZL1.
The 350 will actually beat the zl1 on tight courses.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

conceptmachine

Established Member
Ok been trying to pry info. I think this is on the right track. You know that even more sophisticated model for 2021 s550 that supposedly is going to run with the s650.
I have a good feeling it is going to be front wheel drive assist. Electric motors up front generating xxx combined HP. Was said to be over 800+HP between the two power generators (supercharger and electric motors)
So this will add weight, but this will be the one that turns the eye lids inside out.
The one that's coming next will be close in HP but just rear wheel drive and more of the track car.
Just my speculative opinion ;)

conceptmachine

Established Member
TVS is OEM quality and can support the power. I doubt we would ever see Whipple from OEM. Can't think of any other supercharger that could match OEM specs.
I'm on board with 5.2 TVS2650 with DCT and 350R like packaging!
-J
Yes, Eaton TVS is the go to for Ford, I'm just thinking, how does it fit, but I'm sure ford will get it to with being able to design a hood etc. It's tough for aftermarket because when you buy from them, they know they can't design it in a way that makes the customer buy additional parts to make it fit.

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
Ok been trying to pry info. I think this is on the right track. You know that even more sophisticated model for 2021 s550 that supposedly is going to run with the s650.
I have a good feeling it is going to be front wheel drive assist. Electric motors up front generating xxx combined HP. Was said to be over 800+HP between the two power generators (supercharger and electric motors)
So this will add weight, but this will be the one that turns the eye lids inside out.
The one that's coming next will be close in HP but just rear wheel drive and more of the track car.
Just my speculative opinion ;)

That would be ridiculously expensive for a mustang.

conceptmachine

Established Member
yes, I'm guessing since '19 and '20 is going to run in the 80's, I'm sure its gonna be into the 90's for the '21. I also found out that the S650 is pushed back until March 2021 so that makes a S650 a '22 MY. It makes sense now that the S550 with the front wheel assist will be a '21 MY car, not ran at the same time as the S650/
The '21 is probably the KR version. Both will have high HP, just the KR will have more because of the front wheel assist. It will also weigh more. The first will be the more track focused, while the second is more king of the road version...

Established Member
Uh.... no it won't.

I should’ve corrected my post, I meant the 350R and the regular zl1. Correct me if I’m wrong but from memory when they tested those two cars the 350R beat the zl1 in the figure 8 and in braking/handling zones and then the zl1 of course beat it in the straightaways with power.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I should’ve corrected my post, I meant the 350R and the regular zl1. Correct me if I’m wrong but from memory when they tested those two cars the 350R beat the zl1 in the figure 8 and in braking/handling zones and then the zl1 of course beat it in the straightaways with power.

I don't know about the figure-8, but when the two were pitted against each other on Laguna Seca, the overlay data showed that the GT350R was faster than the ZL1 through most of the turns. The ZL1 was faster on the gentle sweepers and the straights, obviously, thanks to all that extra power.

Established Member
I don't know about the figure-8, but when the two were pitted against each other on Laguna Seca, the overlay data showed that the GT350R was faster than the ZL1 through most of the turns. The ZL1 was faster on the gentle sweepers and the straights, obviously, thanks to all that extra power.

That’s what led me to the conclusion that it would beat the zl1 on a tighter and or more technical course. I just rewatched the motor trend comparison of the two at big willow and the R passed the zl1 in the tight corners.

conceptmachine

Established Member
Most likely rolls will be reversed with the new GT500. POSSIBLY a slight advantage in the corners to the ZL1 and mucho power for the GT500 in the gentle sweepers. We're talking 125 to 150 more HP. About the same HP/lb difference as the 350R is to the ZL1. Apples to Apples, right?

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member

The 350R can take some corners better than the ZL1. Key word "some".

So far the ZL1 has came up ahead on a complete lap time head to head vs the 350R.

If you are gonna pit the top dog 350 up against the ZL1, then at least pit it up against the top dog ZL1. ZL1 1LE DESTROYS the 350R at everything performance related.

ZL1 DESTROYS the 350 at everything performance related.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.

So far the ZL1 has came up ahead on a complete lap time head to head vs the 350R.

If you are gonna pit the top dog 350 up against the ZL1, then at least pit it up against the top dog ZL1. ZL1 1LE DESTROYS the 350R at everything performance related.

If you watch the video the GT350R caught and passed the ZL1 in the technical section. It was only the straights where it got it back.

conceptmachine

Established Member
If you watch the video the GT350R caught and passed the ZL1 in the technical section. It was only the straights where it got it back.

It won't with the GT500. It will be the Apples to Apples compairo. Top Dog Mustang against Top Dog Camaro. Just like the ZL1 advantage of 125HP and 200FPT, the GT500 will only have 125-150HP more, but torque won't be as huge of a gap haha.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
It won't with the GT500. It will be the Apples to Apples compairo. Top Dog Mustang against Top Dog Camaro. Just like the ZL1 advantage of 125HP and 200FPT, the GT500 will only have 125-150HP more, but torque won't be as huge of a gap haha.
The ZL1 1LE is a very fast, very focused car. Even with the HP bump, 2 average drivers will probably dog fight for as long as the cars can take the heat.

conceptmachine

Established Member
Agree! like I was saying, it will have the corner advantage (zl1-l1e) The GT500 will be a do everything really fast, street car and track. From what I've heard, it will not have a track focused example available (zl1-l1E), but it heard it here, as well as another forum, it will beat it. I suspect that is on certain tracks with more gentle corners and straights, like where the ZL1 had the advantage over the 350R.
I don't believe it will have a super stiff track suspension set up, but it will be similar to the 350 with magnaride, Don't know if we'll see carbon rims on it, but would expect some carbon in some critical locations. Large splitter and wing? Maybe a package.

Last edited:

Established Member

I didn’t mention the 1le because kaneda said that the zl1 destroys the 350 which it doesn’t. The 350R beats the zl1 in tight corners and technical sections, meaning on a tight road course unlike willow springs in motor trends head to head, that the 350 would beat the zl1 in overall lap time as well. Of course no one has actually done this same drive same day so I don’t have lap times to show you. The zl1 1le beats the 350R, yes but if memory serves correct it didn’t destroy it as you put it in all caps. I’m not knocking the zl1 and zl1 1le’s performance at all, Chevy came to play and beat both versions of the 350. Both cars are amazing and one day maybe I can afford one haha. I just find it annoying how people say that Ford is getting destroyed by Chevy and dodge when they aren’t. The demon, hellcat, and regular zl1 aren’t direct competitors to the 350 which is a track car. Ford is doing fine across all boards, performance or otherwise.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Agree! like I was saying, it will have the corner advantage (zl1-l1e) The GT500 will be a do everything really fast, street car and track. From what I've heard, it will not have a track focused example available (zl1-l1E), but it heard it here, as well as another forum, it will beat it. I suspect that is on certain tracks with more gentle corners and straights, like where the 350R had the advantage over the ZL1.
I don't believe it will have a super stiff track suspension set up, but it will be similar to the 350 with magnaride, Don't know if we'll see carbon rims on it, but would expect some carbon in some critical locations. Large splitter and wing? Maybe a package.

Track focused or not, I bet the next GT500 will have even the ZL1 1LE covered on a track. It's no doubt going to be on par or better than the GT350R on track.

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
The 350R beats the zl1 in tight corners and technical sections, meaning on a tight road course unlike willow springs in motor trends head to head, that the 350 would beat the zl1 in overall lap time as well.

They need to run a head to head at Summit Point on the Shenandoah course. There are only 2 straights that allow a quick burst to 130... everything else is short, slow, and technical.

Users who are viewing this thread