Anyone else frustrated with Ford over the next GT500?

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
.... I actually had goals and ambition in life to get me where I am.

Aaahhh. Wish I'd done that.

Was one of those life goals to listen to those smarter than you on particular subject matter and actually try and learn something from time to time?

Or did you shelf that lesson for another day being you're already the smartest man in the room--always.

Last edited:

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Aaahhh. Wish I'd done that.

Was one of those life goals to listen to those smarter than you on particular subject matter and actually try and learn something from time to time?

Or did you shelf that lesson for another day being you're already the smartest man in the room--always.

The latter. Working out pretty good so far! ;)

Snoopy49

Established Member

Attachments

• 2020 GT500 Strut-Tower Brace Patent.pdf
    407.1 KB · Views: 226

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Exotic? Looks like Ford is branching out even if it ain't pretty. Nice to see Jamal's name behind it too. This is what you could barely see in the blower case photo Ford released last week. Cast-magnesium. More, more, more, Ford!

Before getting caught up in the melee, I meant to comment on the magnesium. Good stuff! This isn't the first time Ford has used the metal. I've gained an appreciation for it ever since they made the 3V block out of it. It's less than half the weight of titanium, just as strong as , if not stronger than, titanium and is much cheaper than titanium. It's also cheaper to manufacture than titanium; on par with aluminum costs. The F150 and Explorer are also currently benefiting from some magnesium use. Magnesium is the "secret" exotic metal, but it is very abundant on Earth.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.

DepWraith

Established Member
Didn't say it was for here, was just posting it was interesting (which is what I wrote)...then decided you would go crazy again, so deleted it.

On a side note, was anyone able to pull up any of the images for the newly patented hood? Was curious what it is for.

DBK: any info on the 3D printed brake parts the GT500 will have?

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Well, that answers that.

Keep digging Tob!

OK

zzzz%20zz%202020-shelby-gt500-leaked-photo-M.jpg

US Patent Application for SIDE SPLITTER AND SPLITTER ASSEMBLY WITH DIVE PLANE FEATURE Patent Application (Application #20180297649 issued October 18, 2018) - Justia Patents Search

Hood drain and rain tray
US Patent Application for METHODS AND SYSTEM FOR OPERATING A VEHICLE WITH A VENTED HOOD AND RAIN TRAY Patent Application (Application #20180238254 issued August 23, 2018) - Justia Patents Search

Hood air extractor
US Patent for Hood air extractor and hood assembly incorporating same Patent (Patent # 9,776,579 issued October 3, 2017) - Justia Patents Search

Airfoil with adjustable tail flap
US Patent for Airfoil with adjustable tail flap Patent (Patent # 9,469,354 issued October 18, 2016) - Justia Patents Search

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Yes. The last one, "airfoil with adjustable tail flap" actually has to do with the front. Jackpot! The dam is finally bursting.:)

Front%20foil%20patent%20sketch-L.jpg

Airfoil-L.jpg

GT350 owners don't get overly excited with these next pair of sketches. Ford can submit the patent application with a general vehicle sketch and in this case the GT350 front was used. Can't speak to if this was a possibility for that car at some point...

air%20foil%201-X2.jpg

air%20foil%202-X2.jpg

Still digging for more...

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I would say a ZL1 on lighter alpha underpinnings is 3944...

maybe one day you'll actually tell us something :D

I took over 200 lbs out of my GT500, and it still has all the stock body panels, navigation, radio, sound deadening, etc. and the only piece of "exotic" material I used is a carbon fiber driveshaft. I'm still not buying the excuses for the new GT500 weighing 2 tons. There are massive (pun intended) amounts of areas Ford could've shaved weight and not driven the price through the roof.

And for the guy who's concerned, it'll still be "light" enough for a Cayenne Turbo S to tow it.
floyd-mayweather-RoqqcnGkXa8Fi

url

100lbs for your ego doesn't count. I'd have to guess that most of the aftermarket parts used to drop the weight would fail Ford's durability testing, so there's that

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Oh yeah....just found the front splitter sketches. Drawn on a GT350, though they definitely look to be what we have seen on the GT500 photos from the dealer meeting...BRB...

Users who are viewing this thread