Anyone else frustrated with Ford over the next GT500?

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
The one engineer from the other website said it would have the largest tires Ford has ever put on a car.

So expect at least 325s, which would be good because there are decent tire options in that size for fairly cheap. (325/30 19)

I honestly don't see Ford retooling the quarter panel and as such, a 325 rear is about as big as I could see them going. And that is with a tire that has a similar rounded profile as a Cup2.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I honestly don't see Ford retooling the quarter panel and as such, a 325 rear is about as big as I could see them going. And that is with a tire that has a similar rounded profile as a Cup2.
Agree.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member

You never know. I was detailing my R one day and noticed that the 315s stick out at least 1/2" from the top of the fender on both sides. A 325 is only a about 1/4" wider than a 315. With the projected amount of power the GT500 is going to have, a 335 would make way more sense.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I don't see a 335 out back without making more room and/or an offset that pulls the wheel/tire further inboard than Ford was ever willing to go.

rwleonard

Established Member
What diameter rim should we expect to see? Tire Rack shows the 315/19 Cup 2's having an 11.7" tread width and the 325/19's having 11.5". The 325/20's are listed at 12" - 12.3". Looks like 18's top out at 295. I am thinking 315/19 all around looks pretty good.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I certainly hope it doesn't come with 315s in the front. Having 305s up front is bad enough as is. I want more steering feel, not less.

I have 315s in the front and 345s in the rear...drives out fine. Plenty of steering feel.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
How is it "so much wrong"? Hyperbole much? You only refuted one statement and added your own information that goes right in line with what I said.
- Iacocca is the father of the Mustang.
- Iacocca didn't want the Mustang to be known as a "secretary's car".
- V8 Mustangs were introduced very shortly after the Mustang was introduced.
- Shelby wanted to take the Mustang racing to "kick the shit out of Corvette."
- Shelby used "stripped down" Mustangs to build GT350s.

So... Where is the "so much wrong" part?
The cobra was the car to beat the corvette, not the mustang.

Users who are viewing this thread