Anyone else frustrated with Ford over the next GT500?

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Why? Look at the Manley rods they put in the 03-04's. How much more can it cost when you're talking this much coin? Make's zero sense IMO.

Oh I know. I made the same argument for years. Same goes for the powdered oil pump gear. Technology has indeed improved on pressed powder parts but that doesn't mean much to many enthusiasts. Sadly, Ford goes with the far less expensive option here and has for a decade and a half now. It doesn't make sense to me when you have a forged crank, forged pistons, uber expensive CNC ported heads, an alloy block...only to be equipped with powdered rods and OPG. I suspect that most would pay the additional monies for overkill here but Ford refuses to even ask the community if that is something they want.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
That was in 2004. People complained about the lack of decent rods all through the 2007-14 GT500 run and Ford did nothing.

Think about it objectively. How many times did rods let go on stock or lightly modded GT500s? The only reason the '03/'04 Cobra had those Manley rods was because the pencil stems Ford was using at the time couldn't pass stress and longevity tests. Now Mustang enthusiasts are spoiled. They think the high end Mustangs have to have third-party rods. Nevermind that the powdered rods are easily standing up to what the majority of owners are doing to their engines. I'm almost positive there's a member on SVTP that was running 1,000HP on the stock rods a while back with no issues. All the "powdered rods are the devil" talk is more folklore and urban legend than reality. I'm not saying they can't or haven't failed. I'm saying they aren't as detrimental as people claim, and Ford obviously agrees.

I can't do a thing here in NC and get a legit inspection until it's 35 years old.

Not true. As long as you have catalytic convertors and your OBD-II isn't throwing codes, you're good to go. If your inspector is telling you otherwise, he's either grossly uninformed or flat out lying to you.

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
Not true. As long as you have catalytic convertors and your OBD-II isn't throwing codes, you're good to go. If your inspector is telling you otherwise, he's either grossly uninformed or flat out lying to you.

My statement was a little broad, but all emissions equipment that came from the factory has to be installed on the vehicle if it is under 35 years old, although said equipment doesn't necessarily have to be "working" because they don't do the actual emissions test if it's over 25 years old, but it has to pass that visual inspection to legitimately pass inspection.

I should add, this could be a county requirement in Wake.

Last edited:

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Anybody on here a ford development tech? Chime in on the rod choice. Put our minds at ease.

I will say setup well, any combo has more potential than the sum of its parts. I once built a 500hp small block Chevy out of 2 junk yard ok this is total bullshit and I’m done but seriously let’s hear what a Ford development tech has to say on the matter

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Plug for hook is still there (yay!). Splitter looks to be rather conservative on this version. Gotta be more aggressive aero coming as well...

Voltwings

Established Member
Anybody on here a ford development tech? Chime in on the rod choice. Put our minds at ease.

I will say setup well, any combo has more potential than the sum of its parts. I once built a 500hp small block Chevy out of 2 junk yard ok this is total bullshit and I’m done but seriously let’s hear what a Ford development tech has to say on the matter

I think it's very simple. As with any project, you're given an AFE and expected to make it work... There are some places it's worth spending money and some it isnt.

Just as many people would be bitching if the tables were turned and this thing had a bullet proof motor but like a bullshit 1.7L blower or something for the sake of example. The factory rods will hold factory power and that's all the engineers are tasked with, so that's about all we can expect from them. When the engineers are given a blank check you end up with a Veyron, and that's not doing any of us any good...

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Plug for hook is still there (yay!). Splitter looks to be rather conservative on this version. Gotta be more aggressive aero coming as well...
Where are you seeing this?

Do you have superman eyes or something?

Edit: turns out this off brand monitor doesn't do very well, I can see it clear as day on my samsung one.

Users who are viewing this thread