Anyone else frustrated with Ford over the next GT500?

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Sideline? I'd say the GT350 is the most successful Ford product in years. It sold better than the 2013/14 GT500.

Sorry it doesn't fit your needs.

Really? I like the GT350 don’t get me wrong but if I had the choice I’d take a 13-14 GT500 instead. Idk maybe because I’m a straight line torque monster finding person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
@Kaneda is nothing more than a troll who spent too much money on a car that will follow the Hellcats in depreciation. Sour grapes.

Speaking of that not talking shit but at Cars and Coffee this morning I saw so many Hellcats. I like them don’t get me wrong but the production numbers must be high on them, is FCA making a shit load of them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
The Hellcat is not a limited production vehicle nor is it a numbered vehicle. It's standard production line vehicle with high build numbers.

I think if you put some drag radials on it or some kind of racing tire, it makes one hell of a fun car to drive, but I don't believe the Hellcat was ever intended to be any kind of collectors car. It's just a fun production car.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
You can insult him and stand up for Ford but in this day and age, with the technology these manufacturers have at their disposal, there's no excuse being on the sidelines over 4 years.

No excuse for Porsche taking 5 and 7 years for their top cars?
Ferrari takes 6 to 7 years as well. Do they not have the technology gm/dodge does? Not even mentioning fiat owns both dodge and Ferrari now....

Sideline? I'd say the GT350 is the most successful Ford product in years. It sold better than the 2013/14 GT500.

I hope you’re not trying to say they sell better than cars with just blowers slapped on...haha

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
If this is the reason for the delay, we will never see another GT500. You can't fix stupid, (CA).

That’s honestly how it’s looking...

On a side note, my tiny little 5 liter makes over 1200whp and it even had that goofy .3L overbite thing going on where the head gaskets end up being tiny... aluminum block too. Such a timebomb... I’m only over 5,000 miles on it now at 800-1200whp with aggressive driving at high altitude with 0-110° ambient temp and 2100-8700 da ranges, crappy 91 octane gas is the higher easily attainable gas, stock ecu massaged by an sct programmer etcetc. I’m tired of hearing about iron block this and splitting that. I’ll get 20-30k miles out of this mill. That’s nuts for what it is. Want 250-300,000 miles? Buy a daily driver with 200-500hp and leave it stock, maintain it well and drive it easy.

Anyways,

I think ford has gotten the engine block and holding boost reliable a year ago, I think they are dealing with heating issues if I’m honest. Every modular I see ends up getting overheating issues after 700-800hp unless they incorporate costly but useful cooling mods from fans and coolers to killer chillers, and e85.

One more fun fact, after putting more time and money into my cooling systems than a great used twin turbo kit costs, my car in all it’s archiac 2003 glory stays between 190 to 220* in mid day 90-95* high altitude canyon blasting on 800whp.

I think ford has their hands tied keeping an sc mill cool without a killer chiller style unit, meth injection, and so on. My bet is the end car will seem quite creatively innovative by 2013/14 standards. Given it’s 5 years newer, it likely will seem like a quantum leap

pwrshft99

Established Member
No excuse for Porsche taking 5 and 7 years for their top cars?
Ferrari takes 6 to 7 years as well. Do they not have the technology gm/dodge does? Not even mentioning fiat owns both dodge and Ferrari now....

Neither Ferrari or Porsche have an economy version of the vehicle in production and for sale. They are not engineering a new car, they are applying better parts to a mass produced chassis. To make it worse, the 'new' GT500 is rumored to use many parts that have been in production 3+ years already.

The gt500 will not have an all titanium, quad turbo 1000hp mill... It seems to be getting a roots blower on a traditional style cross plane 5.2 long block. Not exactly exotic.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Neither Ferrari or Porsche have an economy version of the vehicle in production and for sale. They are not engineering a new car, they are applying better parts to a mass produced chassis. To make it worse, the 'new' GT500 is rumored to use many parts that have been in production 3+ years already.

The gt500 will not have an all titanium, quad turbo 1000hp mill... It seems to be getting a roots blower on a traditional style cross plane 5.2 long block. Not exactly exotic.

599 GTO to the F12 TDF
F430 Scuderia to the 458 Speciale
997 GT3RS to the 991 GT3RS

It sure looks the both Ferrari and Porsche are throwing parts at a old production car to enhance performance just as Ford does to its GT500.

If you want just a blower added to a car buy a gm or Dodge. If you want a reengineered performance vehicle be patient.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member

As much as I agree with you on most things here, you sold your GT350 because it didn't fit your needs. At that point you preferred your '13-14 GT500.
He, you and I all prefer a GT500 type car.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but my point is that the GT350 is badass and calls to many people, BUT there are an equal or larger group that prefers a street car with big torque over a car like the GT350.
So, as successful as the GT350 has been, I'd argue a GT500 in a GT350 like package with 200 more hp and more importantly low end torque, with less open track/handling focus and more street/strip goals would sell as well or better.
I'm a big fan of any performance type vehicle, especially American muscle, and while I'm partial to Ford/Mustang, I can't ignore what most see clearly---this delay has been frustrating.
Now, has it hurt Fords market share and ability to sell Mustangs? Tougher question as I'm sure they'll have no problem selling every GT500 they make, but they did lose getting potential GT500 buyers in showrooms.
There are many guys as I referenced above that wouldn't consider a GT350 and have gone to other brands.
Point being release a new GT500 already dammit!
J

SlowSVT

Established Member
Goal post dude... goal post. Also, what reliability issues are you talking about? I'm in Houston where performance shops are on every corner and we've got stock engine 2018s with twin turbos in the 9s, and almost 8s. This new Gen 3 Coyote is a monster and i havent seen anyone having boost issues on 15+ motors. Granted, i dont keep up with that much, so maybe im out of touch, but i dont think it's nearly as big a deal as you're trying to make it.

......... now take a built motors from one of those shops in Houston and hand it over to Ford for durability testing and let them strap it down to their dyno that will be entertaining! They will take it up to full throttle under max load and hold it there which would send the owner into hysterics! I give the 9 second twin turbo (or one with the added stress of a blower) less then 2 minutes probably more likely measured in seconds before the engine is reduced to shrapnel. Every shop owner has his fingers crossed after delivering a car to a customer hoping it lives long enough where nothing goes wrong and most likely won't assume responsibility if it does. Imagine 100's of 20XX Mustang GT500 engines blowing-up under warranty and what that would do to the reputation of the car and the company. This is what Ford has to worry about and is the only reason we have not seen a GT500 yet from them that can compete with GM of Chrysler. They are handicapped with a smaller engine with a linerless block and short bore centers while the larger Dodge mill can be bored and put back into service. Unfortunately this is the reality we are faced with it's been rather boring not seeing a fire breathing blown V8 Mustang out of Dearborn.

I wonder if Ford has even committed the GT500 to production yet. Once that decision is made there is no stopping it but for now the mystery continues.

Last edited:

Voltwings

Established Member
You act like people just started boosting these things yesterday man, the 5.0 is not this made of glass thing you seem to think it is. Not to mention RPM is worth a lot more than displacement when it comes to making power, and the 5.0 / 5.2 has more than enough of that.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I’ve had my engine on the dyno flat out pull after pull for 3 days of low mid and high boost tuning, and it’ll happen again when I switch to a dedicated Holley efi dominator.

Hasn’t blown up yet, won’t blow up then.

Fords durability test simulated extreme load, and their turbo systems accordingly handle airflow well, no doubt about it.

In the real world, most turbo builds won’t see the abuse of cold start high pressure driving, stop and go traffic, and so on. That said, if you plan your build with that in mind, it’s all just math and physics from there. And money. Lots of money.

Pick 2 of 3. Fast. Reliable. Cheap.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
As much as I agree with you on most things here, you sold your GT350 because it didn't fit your needs. At that point you preferred your '13-14 GT500.
He, you and I all prefer a GT500 type car.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but my point is that the GT350 is badass and calls to many people, BUT there are an equal or larger group that prefers a street car with big torque over a car like the GT350.
So, as successful as the GT350 has been, I'd argue a GT500 in a GT350 like package with 200 more hp and more importantly low end torque, with less open track/handling focus and more street/strip goals would sell as well or better.
I'm a big fan of any performance type vehicle, especially American muscle, and while I'm partial to Ford/Mustang, I can't ignore what most see clearly---this delay has been frustrating.
Now, has it hurt Fords market share and ability to sell Mustangs? Tougher question as I'm sure they'll have no problem selling every GT500 they make, but they did lose getting potential GT500 buyers in showrooms.
There are many guys as I referenced above that wouldn't consider a GT350 and have gone to other brands.
Point being release a new GT500 already dammit!
J

I did, I sold my GT350 to get back in to a car with a lot of low end torque because at the time I liked going in a straight line. Bought my Viper, ended up converting it (not that it needed much) into a track car. At this point I can say I would be very happy with a GT350 as my track car.

I didn't say a GT500 wouldn't sell, I said that the 2015+ GT350 sold much better than the 2013/14 GT500.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
... How many years does it take to just slap a supercharger onto a GT350? Which is basically all this car is.

I guess you know something that nobody else does. Spill the beans!

While Ford would still sell every straight line focused GT500 it would make, it certainly wouldn't draw in more buyers than the GT350. There's still more demand for GT350s than there is supply. The GT350 is a conquest car. There are Porsche and BMW //M people buying GT350s. Probably 9 times out of 10, neither of those buyers would even consider a straight line focused GT500. Why do you think the GT350 is so coveted? Nobody was clamoring to buy GT500s, except the '07 GT500 when it first dropped. Markups don't last on GT500s much past 9 months. We're coming up on 5 years of GT350 production, and despite being unchanged the whole time, they still have markups on them. People getting them at MSRP is still the exception rather than the rule. Nobody is getting them below MSRP. If Ford makes the new GT500 a straight line car, they will have lost a sale from me; probably forever. You don't create a "masterpiece" like the GT350, then turn around and go back to paint-by-numbers. Ford has shown us what they can do. Anything less from here on out is unacceptable.

Osiris

Established Member
Perhaps you mean the 350R, which still carry huge ADMs in most places( 30k in my area, which is why they're still sitting there, lol) I know of a couple base 350s that have gone for less than sticker. All leftovers from prior years however. New I think the dealers are still holding at MSRP.

This is also in the midwest. I understand on the coasts they're still comanding ADMs.

Point however is agreed...the 350 appeals to a wider base. Though 500s have been holding exceptional value (especially 13 and 14s),

The power the car has is more than adequate for most, but 4 or 5 blower kits do exist for it if that's what you want.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
They are definitely letting more get out.

We should see a lot more of the car in the future.

Clemson

Established Member
I guess you know something that nobody else does. Spill the beans!

While Ford would still sell every straight line focused GT500 it would make, it certainly wouldn't draw in more buyers than the GT350. There's still more demand for GT350s than there is supply. The GT350 is a conquest car. There are Porsche and BMW //M people buying GT350s. Probably 9 times out of 10, neither of those buyers would even consider a straight line focused GT500. Why do you think the GT350 is so coveted? Nobody was clamoring to buy GT500s, except the '07 GT500 when it first dropped. Markups don't last on GT500s much past 9 months. We're coming up on 5 years of GT350 production, and despite being unchanged the whole time, they still have markups on them. People getting them at MSRP is still the exception rather than the rule. Nobody is getting them below MSRP. If Ford makes the new GT500 a straight line car, they will have lost a sale from me; probably forever. You don't create a "masterpiece" like the GT350, then turn around and go back to paint-by-numbers. Ford has shown us what they can do. Anything less from here on out is unacceptable.

LOL. Dude, you can dry hump the 350 all you want. They will sell every 500 they can make, because, believe it or not, people still want that type of car. And Im pretty confident Ford could give a sh1t about losing your sale. meanwhile, there will be 20K plus examples of the 350 floating around, so if you want one, you can get one, without any markup.

Users who are viewing this thread