Anyone else frustrated with Ford over the next GT500?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It was speculated as such, but Ford nor anyone at Ford ever said it would be a MY18. All eggs were pushed in to the MY19 basket.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I want to do weight savings like that to my 01. Only thing is it’s a convertible but it looks like that’s about the same or a little less than the 03-04 coupes. Plan is to lighten up as much as possible without sacrificing interior and to keep it N/A and make it a corner carver.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

For sure. The hard part is getting much below 3250 because the 01’s already have the aluminum block, and lighter wheels/tires, trans, etc.

Iirc, the cobra coupes and convertibles were 3450 and 3580 in 2001.

I think you could get the car down to 3375 pretty straightforward. The last 125lbs will be trickier.

The 03 cobras had heavy wheels, an iron block, heavy hood, heavy suspension, heavy transmission, heavy power added combo (for the power it could produce. If it was a factory 1.9 or 2.1L or 2.3Lvit would be a good weight to power added combo of about 80lbs for ~250-400hp if potential. Even a ported Eaton is only good for about 525whp which from about 325whp if na is only about 200whp for 80lbs and it’s far more common to see 450whp cobras which means 80lbs for 130whp. A small simple single 66 or 70mm turbo system weighing 50lbs can easily take an 03 cobra to 600+whp, same for a small whipple kb)

Still though, 3350 or 3600lbs or what have you is light light by today’s weights. The hellcat at 4500lbs is very portly compared to a ctsv today or especially a 4000lbs gen 2 ctsv

Last edited:

conceptmachine

Established Member
It was speculated as such, but Ford nor anyone at Ford ever said it would be a MY18. All eggs were pushed in to the MY19 basket.
Your right, never by ford. I'm guessing the info was garnered by each forum contact at ford, which would be undisclosed.

bpmurr

Established Member

And some people think it's going to be MY20 because of the video with Jim Owens. If so that would suck.

01performanceredvertsnake

Established Member
For sure. The hard part is getting much below 3250 because the 01’s already have the aluminum block, and lighter wheels/tires, trans, etc.

Iirc, the cobra coupes and convertibles were 3450 and 3580 in 2001.

I think you could get the car down to 3375 pretty straightforward. The last 125lbs will be trickier

Yeah it’s gone be hard to get past that, I’d probably be fine with 3300. I want to build an N/A 4V for it but I may do the 5.2 swap from Ford Performance. I do have quite a few ideas for function and weight reduction. Have you thought about carbon fiber doors?

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
... I want to build an N/A 4V for it but I may do the 5.2 swap from Ford Performance. I do have quite a few ideas for function and weight reduction. Have you thought about carbon fiber doors?

That na 5.2 is an excellent engine, very light and snappy, 580hp iirc. Pricey but a gem.

I’ve seen the cf doors. The actual exterior door panel isn’t too heavy, where they ditch the most weight is from the deletion of the power window system and power door locks. The actual panel is about a 20 lbs weight saving per side. 40lbs is great, but the extra 110lbs they show as a weight saving comes from things I don’t want to give up for a street car.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
It'll be a MY19.

That’s why I’m honestly pretty certain the car will be available for pick up and delivery right before the end of this year ala 2015 gt350r.

I hope I’m right about an April 18 release. Iirc, the 03 cobra was shown at the same venue in 2002.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
You’re all way off.
13’s started showing up in garages in May of 2012.

So logically, only 3 more months for the 2019s.

Hope the clutch is sufficient...and none of this clutch protection bull sheet.

01performanceredvertsnake

Established Member
That na 5.2 is an excellent engine, very light and snappy, 580hp iirc. Pricey but a gem.

I’ve seen the cf doors. The actual exterior door panel isn’t too heavy, where they ditch the most weight is from the deletion of the power window system and power door locks. The actual panel is about a 20 lbs weight saving per side. 40lbs is great, but the extra 110lbs they show as a weight saving comes from things I don’t want to give up for a street car.

I was thinking about carbon doors and fenders but that is a good bit of money. And yeah the 5.2 is pricey but by the time I get to it it might be a good bit cheaper me then I could mod it for a little more power, anyways hope the 500 is a monster.

conceptmachine

Established Member
Man, you guys are tough, tough tough. Even when I present you with a link with a video interview with Mustang Brand Manager Mark Schaller , you still think its coming in 2018? hahahah!
When asked precisely what CALENDAR YEAR the car is coming he says 2019. He says " it will be coming calendar year 2019 as a 2019 MY car. That means 1-1-19 to whenever the 2020MY change over is, probably in june. So, if he isn't lying, nobody will see a car until 1-1-19+
I suppose he could be lying, or fudging some info up like Jim Owens. Sometimes people say stuff that isn't true, politicians do it all the time.

Gr8fulmtnbiker

Established Member
Man, you guys are tough, tough tough. Even when I present you with a link with a video interview with Mustang Brand Manager Mark Schaller , you still think its coming in 2018? hahahah!
When asked precisely what CALENDAR YEAR the car is coming he says 2019. He says " it will be coming calendar year 2019 as a 2019 MY car. That means 1-1-19 to whenever the 2020MY change over is, probably in june. So, if he isn't lying, nobody will see a car until 1-1-19+
I suppose he could be lying, or fudging some info up like Jim Owens. Sometimes people say stuff that isn't true, politicians do it all the time.

haha, and I post an interview with Gary Patterson President of Shelby American stating 2020 (at this link the Youtube video name says 2019 GT500 and article headline states 2020 and Gary says 2020 http://blueovalmuscle.com/videos/what-does-ford-think-about-the-2020-gt500-venom-kills-demons/) and even that is seemingly ignored. so much fake news all over the place the past few years. I guess it will be out when it is out.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
They tried, I said forget this new Ford performance gt500 project and the ridiculous wait time/ price jumping. Built up my 03 cobra to 1200whp and widdled it down to 3400lbs with a full interior intact and a full road racing suspension, cobra r brakes, etc in 2015/16. Been enjoying it for over 2 years.

No complaints. I’ve been pounding the hell out of hellcats, the boosted chevys, and gt500’s, etc like they are Honda Civic si’s and m3’s. Liter bikes are fun.

I miss the John Colletti days...

Old school SVT basically flew under the Ford Corporate radar. As long as they broke even they could basically do whatever they wanted.

Trying to break down metaphor and innuendo into something concrete is like trying to analyze a turd.

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
Hmmm...I just got off the phone with the dealer I'm committed to and they told me there will be a limited run of 2018's. I have to go in on Monday to give them the options and specs for my order. I'm not sure if they're crazy or what but I don't think they'd have me come in for nothing....keep you fine gentlemen posted.

DepWraith

Established Member
Hmmm...I just got off the phone with the dealer I'm committed to and they told me there will be a limited run of 2018's. I have to go in on Monday to give them the options and specs for my order. I'm not sure if they're crazy or what but I don't think they'd have me come in for nothing....keep you fine gentlemen posted.
I don't doubt it though others will. If you happen to be able to grab a photo of the ordering bank screenshot that would be great!

Users who are viewing this thread