Anyone else ever want to give up on a car?

EB85

Established Member
Have you tried burping the coolant system yet? I ran into some cooling issues with my 03 and it was all because I didn't burp the system right.

I haven't touched it since I let it idle to see what it did the one day. After that, I gave up for the time being and parked it. The thing is it ran great before that so something caused it to hiccup the one night. I can't see how it randomly ingested air into the system. I ordered a stainless crossover plug today and maybe once that's here I'll throw my Reische in and see what happens.

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
Buy a 12 year old BMW out of warranty... I was spending more on parts than the payment on my coyote. I still love the E36/7 (Z3) especially the ///M roadsters (like I had) but they might as well swap out the ignition key for a credit card swiper.

Dragu1a

Established Member
This is me, about every other day. Fixing 1 problem reveals 2 different ones. I haven't even gotten to drive it since the whipple and fuel system upgrade. I'm always about a hair away from saying **** it...and just getting rid of it.

cobra_neill

Established Member
Manchester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
Wait, so your daily is causing you a lot of grief, yet you are considering selling the cobra because of something small? Fix the cobra, get rid of the daily, drive the cobra for a while and then pick another daily up later. The rate these cobras seem to be holding/increasing in value you will lose your ass if you bought a clean one again years later, especially seeing as they are a car made to be modded and abused, finding nice ones must be hard.

scott9050

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
My 97 Mark VIII with 89K miles has been sitting for nearly 5 years with half the front suspension replaced. I ran into a hitch and lost interest. Now that I am moving I have to either fix it or sell, contemplating both.

Never_Enough

Established Member
If you're making payments on it, ditch it. If not, cool down & see how you feel when you come back to it later.

EB85

Established Member
Wait, so your daily is causing you a lot of grief, yet you are considering selling the cobra because of something small? Fix the cobra, get rid of the daily, drive the cobra for a while and then pick another daily up later. The rate these cobras seem to be holding/increasing in value you will lose your ass if you bought a clean one again years later, especially seeing as they are a car made to be modded and abused, finding nice ones must be hard.

I trust my DD more than the Cobra. Ever since I got the Cobra late last Spring I was trying to do everything maintenance related I could because I didn't know it's history. I was plugs and a gear oil change away from doing everything. I've had my DD for near 100k miles so I know it inside and out. It's not just the car but everything else in life that is taking $$$ away from fixing the Cobra so it's on the furthest back burner I have because other things take priority over a weekend car.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
I usually want to sell my car in the summer when all I want to do is race and either something breaks and I don't have the time or the money or I realize all it does it sit in the garage because I don't want to drive it in the street anymore.

Then I think about what life would be like without it, and I keep it...

Lemmiwinks

Established Member
My Lincoln Mark Viii.

Had the car for around 5 years now. Drove it for a little bit more than 2 years and I did nothing to it. Changed oil once.
That car always worked. Never hesitated on even starting at -35C.
Only problem was 4th gear, sometimes it wouldn't go in. But who cares? 3rd in 110km/h was only like 2500rpm anyways.

Then I started a commissioning job and traveled 300+ days/year so I put it in storage for almost 3 years.

I took it out and gave it love I've never given it before.
Changed every single bushing in the front, every brake and disc, every single fluid, brand new winter tires (studded, expensive shit!) etc.
What does this car give me now?

Sometimes wont start because fuel pump relay wont turn on.
Can't close the doors, they just bounce back open.
Rear brake caliper came off the car (my fault, no loc-tite on the screws).
Lost 3rd gear and now it's got troubles shifting 1st to 2nd.
Sometimes it feels like "Nah, 2200rpm is perfectly fine as idle".
Loosing air in the rear bags.
Alignment shop didn't tighten the screws for the strut rod completely so one day, BAM!, it came loose. Had to re-tighten at my parking spot as I don't have a garage and go to another alignment shop.

****ing car has never left me stranded ever before. In just 1 month it did it multiple times.
Parked it, said **** it, and bought a small Peugeot.

This summer I'll take the transmission out and let my father restore it.
And I'll try one more time with that car. If it continues, it's gone.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
I would get my hands dirty to see what's the issue with the Cobra. Could be minor, or moderate. At least you would know. Instead of trying to dump it off, to break even, and possibly lose out on thousands dumping the car over a simple fix.

cobralvr01

Established Member
Absolutely and all of the time. I'm currently rebuilding an IRS from an '03 Cobra to throw into my '97. It frustrates the living hell out of me sometimes, but it helps to rethink how long I've want to have an IRS swapped sn95 Cobra. I wanted to do it to my first Cobra back in 2010 but didn't have the $$$ to do it. I'm 26 now and i finally have the chance to accomplish it. Just keep your goals in sight.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
good points made here about how the hobby should be about fun and relaxation instead of frustration. older cars do require a lot of maintenance, and unless you are able to do the work yourself it sure can run into a lot of money.

op do you love the car? do you really enjoy driving it? if so, I would say try to keep it. color-wise, that's an extremely rare terminator.

as far the overheating issue, first try to rule out a head gasket issue by checking for exhaust gases in the coolant. if that is ruled out, then it should be able to be fixed with relatively little work. best of luck!

EB85

Established Member
good points made here about how the hobby should be about fun and relaxation instead of frustration. older cars do require a lot of maintenance, and unless you are able to do the work yourself it sure can run into a lot of money.

op do you love the car? do you really enjoy driving it? if so, I would say try to keep it. color-wise, that's an extremely rare terminator.

as far the overheating issue, first try to rule out a head gasket issue by checking for exhaust gases in the coolant. if that is ruled out, then it should be able to be fixed with relatively little work. best of luck!

I 1000% love driving it. A couple of my cronies flipped when I got it last year because we all know what they are. And when I did the research and saw it was the rarest of the rare I was even more excited. The funny thing is the guys on the FB page who are looking to buy or trade almost always say no 'verts and no silver.:D But, in the late summer when the sun is setting in the distance and it's just me and the car it's near perfection. Top down, radio up, and life is good. My $$$ is slowly starting to stabilize and I think I might just do a water pump and t-stat along with a good flush so I know it's all good to go.

cbr repsol

Established Member
I had a 04 powerstroke. Biggest pile of crap I ever owned.
Traded it in because I was tired of dumping money in it,A lot of money. Injectors, ficm,alternators ect.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
****, I bought a car a month ago and haven't driven it. :(

I had my DD civic stolen, and bought a similar condition replacement one. I get it home, and it's leaking a lot of oil from the stupid vtec solenoid which mounts to the head. I've tried resealing it like 3 times, and it just keeps leaking. I don't even look at it on my working days and just drive my 500rwhp 89. :) At least gas is cheap right now for my 80 mile round trip drive to work. I finally just spent $40 on a new gasket and "special" hondabond because somehow it's better than RTV. If I can't seal this POS up this weekend I'm going to weld the damn sensor to the ****ing head!

2001sleeper

Established Member
I am on my 3rd 347 in 3 years if it makes you feel better.

Just installed the 3rd one and already have a lower intake manifold leak. I am definitely done buying used parts.

Users who are viewing this thread