Anyone else ever want to give up on a car?

EB85

Established Member
So here's the backstory of my last few months. I started a new job in the second week of January making more than before and by a good chunk at that. It was actually a place I worked at before and they were kind enough to bring me back. I started out all well and good and started catching up on bills. A few weeks in my DD Subaru needed a radiator so that was $350 in parts and labor. Then a few weeks later I was in a fender bender and $500 came out for my deductible. And then I found out I owe $250 to the IRS on my taxes. In the meantime I also had my $340/month car payment and the other usual bills. A few weeks back my Cobra developed an overheating problem and, quite honestly, I don't have the time, $$$ or interest to fix it. I don't even know what it is and honestly I don't care because I don't NEED the car. I'm trying to build my savings back up to where it was about a year ago and with everything else that happened, I just don't care anymore. I love driving the car but right now it's so far down my list of priorities I wonder when I'll ever get around to it. I'm trying not to think that if I got rid of it for what I owe on it it would make life so much easier but yet I don't want to. :(

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
I have had an electrical gremlin in my 03 Cobra for a few years now. I know how you feel about not caring, but don't let it get you down man. Yours could be something as simple as a new thermostat. Keep the car, enjoy it when time allows, and use it as a stress RELIEVER, not a stress starter.

EB85

Established Member
I have had an electrical gremlin in my 03 Cobra for a few years now. I know how you feel about not caring, but don't let it get you down man. Yours could be something as simple as a new thermostat. Keep the car, enjoy it when time allows, and use it as a stress RELIEVER, not a stress starter.

I even have a new Reische and water neck at home for if and when I get around to it. Plus I work with and am good friend's with couple other Mustang and Cobra guys so the help and advice is there. I just need the $$$ and motivation.

I've actually been thinking about buying a new water pump and having the t-stat, pump and neck done all at once since they are 13 years old, after all.

SC Heaven

Red Whine
Established Member
I have been there. I got my first 'big boy' job at Sun (now Oracle) a few years after high school, so of course, I had to go buy a nice new (to me) car to show off all my new found money. Ended up with what I thought was a clean, low mile '01 Lexus IS300. I loved the car and was everything I wanted at the time. Unfortunately it quickly became apparent the car had something in it's past that hadn't shown up on the VIN checks and that I hadn't seen in my pre purchase inspections. It was eating front tires every 5-6k miles, even with easy driving. I did everything I could to set it right. Bushings, control arms, steering rack, alignments, etc.. Finally after fighting to set it right for almost 2 years, I decided to sell it on. It broke my heart to do it, but I had to admit to myself there was underlying damage that was going to keep the car from ever being right.

It is a shitty feeling, but sometimes it is the right thing to do. The saving grace is, once you have your finances in order, you can always find another one. Good luck with whatever you decide. :beer:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
if it were me Id let it sit for a bit till you get caught up from the other unexpected stuff and maybe by then youll be ready to tackle it. Ive thought about parting out my build multiple times when running up on a buncha crap but I could stomach the loss Id take doing it that way.

At the end of the day, unless its a head gasket, its probably not going to be anything all that bad to fix and you should be able to get a lot more for it running with no issues

starnsey

Established Member
I got rid of my Mach after having it down for about nine months after a valve spring broke. Decided since I was going to take the valve covers off and replace all 32 springs I would just pull the engine and take care of a bunch of other stuff while I had easy access. As soon as I finished the repair and other stuff I sold it because I was just so sick of working on it, constantly worried about what else might break. Definitely do not regret getting rid of it. However, I'd like to get back into a Mustang again. A Mustang that wasn't previously someone else's project car.

KILRSVT

Established Member
I had an 05 F150 had little problems like a brake noise.....that I fixed...then the front right 4x4 hub actuator took a dump...which i fixed, then it had a top end noise on the engine more than likely the phasers and also it had the timing chain noise on start up......the exhaust manifolds are were beginning to crack and the trans had a harsh shift once in a while . It was paid for but I knew it needed work more than anything I lost my enthusiasm over it. I traded it in for an 11 crew cab fx4 couldnt be happier it needs little things but they are all " fun" stuff. . I only got time for one time consumer and that is my mustang .. not two . Plus if you have lost interest on the car its to move on or just ride it out.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
I wouldnt say gave up on mine, just not at the top of my list anymore especially with the house. I want to finish my house and garage before I even start on my Cobra again. Not in a hurry at all, she’s mostly garage kept. She sure can be dusty though but that is my fault.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
No, you either want to keep it or you should sell it.

Sounds like you know what you should do already, you just havent come to terms with it.

Let it go, use the money for better things. Cars come and go, and especially mustangs are dime a dozen. You can probably dump this one and pick up a better example a few years down the line for less money when you are in a better place financially.

DaBigBone

Established Member
Been in a similar situation before. Usually happens over the winter. The bad weather and not being able to drive me just make me throw it in the garage and not care too much about it. I say sit on it for a bit. Don't make a rushed decision to sell it only to regret it a few weeks later.

MG0h3

Established Member
You really should fix the overheating issue before selling it unless you want to take the hit.

I say just let it sit til you have time and it's not stressful to fix it, and make the decision after that.

I think most of us have let modding/fixing the car stress us when it reality it should just be a hobby or a stress reliever like someone else said. I had started an E85 return set up upgrade and then found out my work schedule wasn't going to allow me to finish it. Once I realized I wasn't going to get it done before, I just picked up the garage, washed my hands, and locked the garage door down. Gonna be on blocks for three months. It'll be there when I get back.

nxhappy

Established Member
sell it, get your bills straight, and then buy something newer. Like a coyote mustang :)

Blackness03

Established Member
I sold my last car because it was a money pit and needed to pay off some other bills. It made life easier for sure but I wish I wouldn't have sold it now that I forget about the stress it caused me.

EB85

Established Member
No, you either want to keep it or you should sell it.

Sounds like you know what you should do already, you just havent come to terms with it.

Let it go, use the money for better things. Cars come and go, and especially mustangs are dime a dozen. You can probably dump this one and pick up a better example a few years down the line for less money when you are in a better place financially.
Part of me wants to keep it because I've wanted a Terminator for a long time and I found a stock, mostly clean one locally for a not terrible price. And, honestly, this is the first problem it gave me in going on a year of having it. But it happened at about the worst time it could.

You really should fix the overheating issue before selling it unless you want to take the hit.

I say just let it sit til you have time and it's not stressful to fix it, and make the decision after that.
I wouldn't get rid of it with the known issue. But I have this nagging thought in the back of my head of if this happened, what could be next? Alternator? Clutch? It is a 13 year old car so God only knows.

sell it, get your bills straight, and then buy something newer. Like a coyote mustang :)
I've thought this over a lot, actually. Getting into a newer car that doesn't ride like a truck and has an actual stereo and interior that's not 1990's Ford-tastic plastic is appealing. The kick in the ass would be that I still owe on it and I'm not interested in anything else right this instant so it would probably end up being unloaded at a dealer and walking away with nothing.
I sold my last car because it was a money pit and needed to pay off some other bills. It made life easier for sure but I wish I wouldn't have sold it now that I forget about the stress it caused me.
This car hasn't given me any grief other than this but it had some terrible timing for sure. Other than possibly costing me more in the long run should I fix this problem and keep it, it's not costing me beyond insurance and the monthly payment.

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
...pretty much my life during the 6yrs I was building my car. However, persistence was key. I love it now that it's done, and overcoming all the issues that caused me to question it, was a great learning experience educationally, and emotionally.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Cars come and go, and especially mustangs are dime a dozen. You can probably dump this one and pick up a better example a few years down the line for less money when you are in a better place financially.

These cars will definitely never be as special as something like a Hyundai - that's for sure.

yelostang

Established Member
These cars will definitely never be as special as something like a Hyundai - that's for sure.

This.

Have you tried burping the coolant system yet? I ran into some cooling issues with my 03 and it was all because I didn't burp the system right.

Anyway, I feel like you feel right now with my 00 Cherokee. I got the thing in part trade for the 03 about 7 years ago. For the most part it has been really good to me, but the last couple of years have been a PITA. It seems like one repair after another and I would honestly love to roll it into the street and light it on fire. The thing is I'm trying to be "responsible" and pay down some debt right now. The repairs haven't really been that much maybe $2k over the past couple of years but I'm tired of dealing with it. Hell, I'm even about to get a promotion (waiting on the offer as we speak) that will hopefully cover the payment on a new car and I'll still probably keep it for another year.

2001sleeper

Established Member
Time, money, and patience.
When one of those runs out it makes things tough for sure.

I would sell my fox as I have run out of time, but it isn't worth much not running.

Users who are viewing this thread