Anyone else ENJOY doing their taxes?

16kOrBust

Established Member
It's that time of year when I get anxious awaiting my tax return documents in the mail so I can sit down and get started on filing my return. While I hate waiting for the documents, I love crunching the numbers and filling out the forms. Most people grumble and whine non-stop when tax time comes around, but I enjoy looking for the different deductions/credits available to me each year and I actually fill out multiple forms (EZ, regular 1040, etc) to see which option is the best for me and just how much money I can squeeze back into my pocket after a year of sending them money (but honestly, I really just fill out multiple forms for the fun of it - I'd do it even if I knew which one would be best for me ahead of time).

Am I the only one who feels like this? Sometimes I think I should have been an accountant...

crew_dawg16

Established Member
I don't fill out extra forms, but I do enjoy sitting down to do the taxes. I enjoy doing math most of the time, just not for homework.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
math is not my Forte....i just get ancy waiting for the #'s on what i'm getting back

oldmodman

Established Member
to bad so sad i dont get to do my taxes again this year...no job

Ha! Don't you think that will keep the guvmint from wanting to hear from you.

And I absolutely detest doing my taxes. I takes me about six weeks just to get everything together for my CPA.

I will always remember the special form EZ 1040Z

Line one..........What did you earn?

Line two..........Send it in. We get it all.

Mustang71

Did I say that out loud?
Established Member
im taking an accounting class this semester so ill see if i still enjoy the paperwork once i do them

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
I actually enjoy doing mine also. I think it's interesting to see all the different deductions available, watching my return go from owing a considerable amount to getting a decent refund is always nice

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
I love doing mine as well, but then again I always use software (turbotax) that makes it cakewalk and a 5min process.

Cant wait to see what i get back this year. Gonna pay off the gst, buy some tires and new control arms front and rear and an alignment.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
i don't necessarily enjoy it, but i am usually anxious to see if i am getting money back or have to pay, so i try to do a rough prelim calculation as soon as i can

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
how do you go about doing a rough prelim calc?

Im absolutely braindead when it comes to this stuff. If it wasnt for turbotax id be completely lost.

ViciousJay

Established Member
im getting back just enough to pay off 1 credit card out of 2. Im tried of giving the gov a free interest free loan so im claiming 1 now....

also just a FYI to everyone, if you didnt get EIC then make sure you put 400 in that box cuz you should get a 400 dollar deduct on that

Last edited:

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
how do you go about doing a rough prelim calc?

Im absolutely braindead when it comes to this stuff. If it wasnt for turbotax id be completely lost.

i just get the stuff together and try to see what deductions i can have, versus what i paid for the year. but i try to claim my income allowances so that i am pretty close or even have to pay a little bit each year.

software like that definetly is very helpful tho, you can prolly breeze through it accurately right away as long as you have all your documents

BLOWN9646

E85 COBRA
Established Member
+1, been doing this for 7-8 yrs now

Edit: claiming 1 instead of 0..

What's EIC?

Last edited:

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
Earned Income Credit.

As for enjoying doing your taxes......What the ****, that is all.

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
Not that this is totally on-topic, but I've never understood the people who actually rely on their tax return every year to pay off bills, go on a vacation, blow it on car/personal stuff, etc. The more money you get back, the more you potentially could have had during the course of the year to avoid digging yourself in a financial hole, or put it in a 401K, or in a savings account, checking acct. to pay off bills to avoid interest charges, etc. I'd much rather have have every dime of my money available to me when it's due and either get/pay a little bit come tax time.

I have a good friend who for the life of her can't understand that concept when I explain it to her. She basically says "yeah, I kinda see what you mean, but I suck at saving money, so if the government just takes it and holds it for me, I don't even have to think about it." Moron.

16kOrBust

Established Member
im getting back just enough to pay off 1 credit card out of 2. Im tried of giving the gov a free interest free loan so im claiming 1 now....

also just a FYI to everyone, if you didnt get EIC then make sure you put 400 in that box cuz you should get a 400 dollar deduct on that

I saw that about the EIC on the 1040 form this year (yeah, I was already doing prelim calculations like the other guy that responded, too :lol1:). For the first time since I started doing my own taxes years ago, it looks like I'll be able to do the 1040EZ form instead of 1040 or 1040A, and it honestly looks like it will get me the biggest return because of the much bigger deduction you can take on it and the fact that I won't have many other deductions this year like I used to. I used to teach as a private contractor at a music school so that used to screw me out of the bigger EZ form deduction, although LLC write-offs helped keep me from owing big money.

97gts

Established Member
It really benefits you if you have them done from a professional. I've done them before but always ended up owing money. The last few years I've got over 1k in return because I've gone to a CPA. The experience is more like the progressive commercial, you own a house? that's a discount...You goto school? that's a discount...they squeeze money out of everything.

Users who are viewing this thread