anyone done a battery relocation yet on the coyote?

Sizeth3

Established Member
Lighter, cheaper, easier. /thread

battery1_zps110bae8a.gif

This! Which battery is it and how do you like it?

Sizeth3

Established Member
You need weight behind the rear tires to get a good launch. Moving 32lbs from the front to the rear is a 64lb swing. Losing 10 to 15lbs from a light weight battery doesn't do much on a 3800lb car

Sorry just stating my experience. I relocated my battery on a car that hooked up great on a MT ET drag radial, and saw no difference in 60', ET, or mph.

This isn't a 2003 or older Mustang GT where the battery is in the nose of the car either:
158086d1339987927-engine-bay-cleaning-2001-mustang-steve-engine-detail-1.jpg

You could argue that on our cars, with the battery at the firewall, that this is closer to the middle than the front:
2011-ford-mustang-gt-engine-in-engine-bay.jpg

Sorry just hard to justify on this car.

coyote302

Established Member

battery1_zps110bae8a.gif
I think this battery have not enough cca....(200 cca range) and if you go with a stronger battery it weight as much as the stock one....anybody have experience with those little battery...??? Is it strong enough ???

Intense/CP

Taking Care of Business
Established Member

battery1_zps110bae8a.gif

That's the way to go if you do it imo. Looks great, simple, less possible points of failure, lighter, and most gains off the nose are forward of the wheels. I think that's one reason Ford moved it here after '04.

jsimmonstx

Established Member
I'm planning on relocating the battery as well, but I'm gonna run the positive battery cable to a terminal block under the hood, and connect the factory harness to the terminal block. Since I don't drag race, I don't think I'm going to mount it in a box, or worry about a cutoff switch.

For the OP, you can run the battery cable(s) on the inside of the car, but you'll have to dismantle the rear passenger side interior panels to do it. Your other option, of course, is running in under the car. Other than that, it's a simple task to relocate your battery.

DTL

Established Member
The picture I posted is of the battery in my car. It's an Odyssey PC680. It's been in there for over 2 years, with no problems. I don't sit in the car for hours with the accessories on and engine off, like some people though. If you've got a huge stereo, or other random electrical accessories, I'm sure this isn't the battery for you. IIRC, it's about 20lbs lighter than stock.

toomnymods

Established Member
Bump Toomnymods did you ever get this done

Got all the stinger hpm 0awg wiring and interconnects today along with the braille b3121 battery, moroso alternator disconnect relay, moroso safety disconnect switch and the taylor battery box.
Really dont have time to do this until the weekends.. Hopefully i can get it all done this weekend.

Last edited:

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
DTL, any pics farther back to see how it looks in the car? I love the idea. Maybe too the idea of incorporating a ice box in that same location with the battery...

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
I should have my battery relocation done by this weekend... time has been limited and its bitter cold out in the garage. I'll have to do a write up with some decent pics, because I couldn't find any before I started.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 345
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 286
Last edited:

DTL

Established Member
I don't have any other pics right now. I'll try to take some, next chance I get. I was looking at putting a dedicated fuel cell there, for a nitrous system, but I don't think there's room. Same story with an ice box, I'd guess. Maybe if you moved the battery closer to the motor, but I have my catch can right there, so that's out of the question for me.

toomnymods

Established Member
really would like to see detailed images of how you dealt with the stock wiring issues where the stock battery went. what did you do to all that wiring? would it pass nhra inspection or do u still need a alternator shut off relay to kill all electronics in the car when they flipped the rear switch?

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
It can be done without cutting the factory wires if one wanted to. I reroute my cables to the fender well and used an isolator. I am cutting the cables to shorten them & will crimp new lugs on them. I'm splicing the #6 alternator wire & running it back to the disconect switch so the engine doesn't run off the alternator when the switch is off.

The black taped wire is the stock fuse box wire, just rerouted.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 345
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 299
Last edited:

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
The push off disconnect... I went this route because I can take the rod off in seconds when not at the track & no one can screw with the power or disconnect the alarm.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 329
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 312
Last edited:

twistedneck

Established Member
Also removing that much weight from the passenger side will mean a re-tune to your cross weighting if you have coil overs. Heavy battery on passenger side helps balance the weight of the driver.

that said, you can get a fully street-able 4lb Lithium ion battery with full billet aluminum mount from Baschur racing for like $650 or less.. here is the battery from JEGS for cheap. factory battery is 33lbs, not sure about the billet tray vs. factory, i'm assuming that saves a few more lbs.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Lithium-Pros/403/C680/10002/-1?parentProductId=1770167

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
Relocating the battery cost as much as a lite weight battery up front, I'm not going to lie. But I'm looking for a bigger battery to run my fan & heat exchanger pump between passes. I'm going with a 800 CCA 40lb battery behind the rear wheels. I'm going to need weight back there to hook 700+ whp on street tires... 305/45/18's

Users who are viewing this thread